Attach helmet to bike or carry at all times - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attach helmet to bike or carry at all times

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Re: Attach helmet to bike or carry at all times

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    the only place i've bothered to lock my helmet is at dover, otherwise it comes with me... I picked up an icon tank bag that converts into a backpack that has a section for the helmet...
    How do you like it? I picked one up at GP Bikes last season but returned it the next week because first of all I found it to be overly large as a tank bag so I felt "crowded" on the bike with it right in front of me (made it harder to duck out of the wind too because it was so large) and, since it was a windy day when I picked it up, I found that the magnets didn't hold it on the tank very well. If it weren't for the safety straps it would've been lost on the 401.

I bought a giant hiking/camping backpack at MEC that has LOTS of compression straps. So when it's empty it compresses smaller than my old, regular, laptop bag I've had since highschool but if I expand it I think it holds 90L or something... I know I can fit 4 6 packs into it with lots of room to spare. I brought my helmet with me when I bought it to test it for size because most of their bags are very tall to hold a lot but do not expand enough to fit a helmet. Now, I can carry a spare change of clothes with me (I often spend the night at places other than home) and when I get off the bike I can fit ALL my gear into the bag so if I need to walk around with it, it's heavy but not as annoying as just carrying a 2 pc suit on my arm while also trying to carry boots, gloves, helmet, etc. The only annoying thing is that since it has so many long compression straps it's kind of a pain to tie them up so they don't blow all over the place.

I wouldn't leave my helmet on the bike for very long if I can avoid it. Someone might pee in it as was said (or a bird might crap on it or it might get full of spiders/earwigs [they seem to like bikes], might get rained in, etc). Plus, it's quite a bit of work to pull the seat and hook up the locks compared to just carrying the helmet with me or tossing it in my backpack.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Myztyk View Post
    Why did you lock your helmet at Dover??? One of the few places I've felt my helmet was safe!
    well even though i more than likely could have left it hanging on a mirror, it takes all of 2 minutes to lock it up. then i don't have to say i should have locked it up, and yes i know some one could cut the d-rings off
    x

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    How do you like it? I picked one up at GP Bikes last season but returned it the next week because first of all I found it to be overly large as a tank bag so I felt "crowded" on the bike with it right in front of me (made it harder to duck out of the wind too because it was so large) and, since it was a windy day when I picked it up, I found that the magnets didn't hold it on the tank very well. If it weren't for the safety straps it would've been lost on the 401.

I bought a giant hiking/camping backpack at MEC that has LOTS of compression straps. So when it's empty it compresses smaller than my old, regular, laptop bag I've had since highschool but if I expand it I think it holds 90L or something... I know I can fit 4 6 packs into it with lots of room to spare. I brought my helmet with me when I bought it to test it for size because most of their bags are very tall to hold a lot but do not expand enough to fit a helmet. Now, I can carry a spare change of clothes with me (I often spend the night at places other than home) and when I get off the bike I can fit ALL my gear into the bag so if I need to walk around with it, it's heavy but not as annoying as just carrying a 2 pc suit on my arm while also trying to carry boots, gloves, helmet, etc. The only annoying thing is that since it has so many long compression straps it's kind of a pain to tie them up so they don't blow all over the place.

I wouldn't leave my helmet on the bike for very long if I can avoid it. Someone might pee in it as was said (or a bird might crap on it or it might get full of spiders/earwigs [they seem to like bikes], might get rained in, etc). Plus, it's quite a bit of work to pull the seat and hook up the locks compared to just carrying the helmet with me or tossing it in my backpack.
    on really tight uturns i notice the side pockets otherwise it's a nice cushion to rest on.
    x

the only place i've bothered to lock my helmet is at dover, otherwise it comes with me... I picked up an icon tank bag that converts into a backpack that has a section for the helmet...
    Ditto on Dover being the only place I've left mine on the bike and that was because I forgot. I'm paranoid and no helmet means no way to get home. I don't think the cops will waive the rules.
    Now I ride a Goldwing. Anyone want to rent helmet storage space?

I would not leave my helmet on a bike, secured or not. If I don't want to carry it around then I'll drive the truck. Trucks are better for mall duty than bikes. Timmies is for bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoRider View Post
    I always have my helmet with me
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

^ lol!!!!!!!! Epic!
    money can't buy happiness? maybe. but you still need money to buy the bike that'll give you the happiness you seek. money will allow you to buy that special something that'll give you the happiness... therefore, money does buy happiness. QED

I just bought the new cbr. In the tool bag it comes with a wire strap to hook through the fasteners on the helmet. Its new to this model, even the dealer was surprised to see it.

When I got my bike I asked the previous owner to show me how to strap the helmet to the bike. He said he never used it. Someone could take it, or if the bike drops could damage the lid. Took his advice and carry my helmet with me when I'm out

Girlfriend just got one of these. She really likes it.
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!