Any Millwrights?

Thread: Any Millwrights?

Any Millwrights?

In the process of applying to be an apprentice millwright right now. Anyone here a millwright?

Re: Any Millwrights?

Good for you mate. I'm a written Millwright. Is there any questions you might have?
    Last edited by DJM; 05-20-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

Nothing in particular, but just wondering how you like the job. Are you unionized or not?

I enjoy it. Everyday is a different thing and the day goes by quickly. I repair hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, do welding and fabrication, gearbox and pump repairs, you name it. I'm unionized with my current employer, although I have worked in non-unionized workplaces.

Quote Originally Posted by GTavalanche View Post
    In the process of applying to be an apprentice millwright right now. Anyone here a millwright?
    Licenced since 1984. Best overall industry was in pharmaceutical. Just got a position at Apotex, start next week Wed. Been in Pharma 15 yrs.
    Optimism, it makes nosense to hope for it simply to satisfy someone else's misguided concept.

Was a licenced Millwright for 13 years (after leaving a similar trade in the Army after 15 years), worked mostly in the Food/Pharmaceutical industries. Shelved the ticket two years ago and now drive long haul for a living.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

hey guys sorry it took me so long to get back, i've been busy lately. got the call today, i write my aptitude test next monday (june 6th). what should i expect?

hey guys sorry it took me so long to get back, i've been busy lately. got the call today, i write my aptitude test next monday (june 6th). what should i expect?
    I never had to write the test, but coached a few apprentices who did. It's just basic stuff, nothing too intense, designed to figure out if you have the basic skills needed to become a Millwright. Might be a few math questions, some drawings of mechanical systems (ie: 6 gears meshed and rotating, if input gear rotates clockwise what direction does output gear rotate?), maybe some basic electrical. If you know which end of a hammer to use when pounding a nail into a board, you should do okay on the test.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    If you know which end of a hammer to use when pounding a nail into a board, you should do okay on the test.
    IIRC they teach you that in first year. lol
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    IIRC they teach you that in first year. lol
    Right, but they check your knowledge on the theory of hammer operation first in the aptitude test.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Sounds good, thanks guys.. Not too worried about it, but i'm a little nervous about the math part (I was warned there was gonna be some trigonometry on it and that stuff isn't very fresh in my memory lol).

The trig is basic sine, cosine and tangent angles. You will probably never use it unless you get into machining and come across a neat little gadjet called a "sine table" for use on a milling machine. The calculus, though, is a ***** and I don't recall ever once having to use it in a practical application during my career.

Do you have a company sponsoring your apprenticeship or are you going it alone?
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

No sponsorship. About six weeks ago i ran into one of my dad's friends (a millwright) while i was out for dinner and he gave me a heads up that the hall was going to be taking apprentices sometime soon and i should go on down and apply so i went the next day aha. Now i've got my aptitude test tomorrow and then (if i pass) an interview

Aptitude test is fairly easy. The actual Certificate of Qualification exam is a whole different ball game. There is only a first-time pass rate of 35% on that.

aha well i suppose i'll cross that bridge when i get to it. glad to hear the aptitude test isn't too difficult though

im an ironworker,...if its anything like ours you have nothing to worry about.
    2005 SUZUKI GSX-R 750 - Ridin'
    2002 HONDA CBR954RR - sold
    2000 HONDA CBR929RR-sold
    2000 HONDA CBR600F4-sold
    2003 KAWASAKI NINJA500R-sold

Any news on your end? I wrote the test for the Hamilton Hall on June 9th and just got a call for an interview. Hopefully the interview is easy peasy! Good luck

Hi guys I 'm a 45 year old and finally decided to go for apprenticeships for Millwright.
    I have 4 years machine shop experience whit manual lathes milling machine grinders ect.
    I realize I have to take some courses and planning to do it my self.
    My first job is to find some entry in the field.

Could you guys give some insides how to go about it?

In the process of applying to be an apprentice millwright rightnow. Anyone here a millwright?

Quote Originally Posted by nallkan View Post
    Hi guys I 'm a 45 year old and finally decided to go for apprenticeships for Millwright.
    I have 4 years machine shop experience whit manual lathes milling machine grinders ect.
    I realize I have to take some courses and planning to do it my self.
    My first job is to find some entry in the field.

Could you guys give some insides how to go about it?
    The Millwright courses at George Brown College are your best option at this point. To be brutally honest here, your age is going to be a big obstacle in the job finding process. You'll never get anyone to say that to your face, of course, because that sort of mentality is illegal but it does and it will happen.

You do have a big plus in your favour with the machine shop experience, as the ability to fabricate parts is a very handy and usefull skill. You might want to concentrate on jobs in the Maintenance Machinist sub trade once you get a few Millwright related courses under your belt.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights