Quick 520 conversion.

Thread: Quick 520 conversion.

Quick 520 conversion.

So rider's choice is doing my 520 and I had a quick question about the psi in my tires... I have power pure's and I run full psi (42) and I find when exiting corners and I give it the beans the back end tends to come out quite often. The question is: should I lower the psi in my rubber while I get used to the new low end torque? Or keep it the same as the power increase will mostly be in the lower rpm's? Amy help input would be appreciated
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

Re: Quick 520 conversion.

you have far too much pressure in the rear tire.

the info in the owners manual and on the swingarm is for the OEM tire and does not apply to the tire you have.

That is the max load listed on the tire itself.
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    That is the max load listed on the tire itself.
    exactly.

the MAXIMUM pressure is never what you want to run.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    exactly.

the MAXIMUM pressure is never what you want to run.
    Alright... So other then "that's too much pressure" can u give any useful input? Not trying to be an *** but looking for some insight here

>< VC 01.

Take a look at the tires, many have two pressure settings, a minimum and a max load. If 42psi is for max load, rider passenger and cargo, then likely want around 36 psi for just one rider...unless of course you weigh 350+ lbs.
    -----------------------------------------
    2006 FZ6
    2005 DL1000
    2005 Vulcan 500 - Sold

So rider's choice is doing my 520 and I had a quick question about the psi in my tires... I have power pure's and I run full psi (42) and I find when exiting corners and I give it the beans the back end tends to come out quite often. The question is: should I lower the psi in my rubber while I get used to the new low end torque? Or keep it the same as the power increase will mostly be in the lower rpm's? Amy help input would be appreciated
    What new low end torque?

The torque argument is nonsense and has nothing to do with it. The tire pressure that is the maximum on your tire sidewalls, and the tire pressure that the bike manufacturer recommends, is chosen so that the tire will withstand being operated at the maximum speed that the tire/bike is rated for (300 km/h in some cases?) while the bike is carrying its maximum rated cargo capacity (the total gross vehicle weight rating) without the tire overheating ... That's nowhere near realistic for normal riding conditions.

Try around 30 to 32 psi front and rear. Increase the pressures somewhat beyond that (36-ish) only if you are going on a long highway drone, to cut down on the wear. Bring them back down as soon as your long highway drone is done.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    What new low end torque?
    What exactly are u trying to say? With -1 +2 theres more low end...

>< VC 01.

Let's try an experiment... To all the ppl that "know it all" and don't share any of it, stop posting. Ur not helping...

I.e. Don't run on max. No help.

What new torque? No help.

Get it. thanks. Go be cool somewhere else

>< VC 01.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    The torque argument is nonsense and has nothing to do with it. The tire pressure that is the maximum on your tire sidewalls, and the tire pressure that the bike manufacturer recommends, is chosen so that the tire will withstand being operated at the maximum speed that the tire/bike is rated for (300 km/h in some cases?) while the bike is carrying its maximum rated cargo capacity (the total gross vehicle weight rating) without the tire overheating ... That's nowhere near realistic for normal riding conditions.

Try around 30 to 32 psi front and rear. Increase the pressures somewhat beyond that (36-ish) only if you are going on a long highway drone, to cut down on the wear. Bring them back down as soon as your long highway drone is done.
    Thanks for this. I'll lower the pressure and just take my time getting used to the new gearing.

>< VC 01.

Basically, your contact patches will be extremely reduced in size at the Max inflation pressure. This is not good from a handling & traction viewpoint. You only have 2 contact patches and they are significantly smaller than those of any car. Combine that with a drastically stronger power/weight ratio than most cars and the potential to break/lose traction is constant.

With all that said, going too far in the opposite extreme (below 30 psi) will degrade handling as well (sloppy feeling handling) and decrease tire life. I seemed to settle in around 32-34 for my riding, after much experimenting. That seemed the right balance for my needs.

Thanks! I'll try running 34 and see how she feels.

>< VC 01.

What exactly are u trying to say? With -1 +2 theres more low end...
    I was merely asking what you did to get more torque. Your posts before this one only mention a 520 conversion but did not mention any gear ratio changes.

But now you have cleared that up, and that was my question. I was asking to get a better understanding of how much of a difference you made.