Ganny 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ganny 2011

Ganny 2011

Anyone up for a GTAM ride at the Ganny end of May or early June? May 24 weekend is fast approaching and most likely have plans, but what about the first or second weekend after that?
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Re: Ganny 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Anyone up for a GTAM ride at the Ganny end of May or early June? May 24 weekend is fast approaching and most likely have plans, but what about the first or second weekend after that?
    After a day with Trail Tours I would totally be into it, I definately got the bug. I just need to find someone who rents Dirt bikes in the area.

Also I'm busy every Saturday, so I'd be available for a Sunday ride.
    2009 Kawi ZX6r Ninja Monster Energy Edition
    2009 Kawi EX650

I might be good fro June 4th weekend. Have to see how my thumb feels after a Deals Gap trip....Ganny riding if it isn't healed might not be a good idea.
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

June 4th weekend sounds good. Pref Sunday I guess. I'm busy may 28th weekend but really want to go on a group ride!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Drivingbadly.com - A safe driving blog
    Gameaspect.com - A video game review and news site that I'm a contributor to.

05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

I ride every weekend weather permitting so I should see you there.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

Any updates on this?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Ganny is in great shape right now thanks to all this rain- incredible traction and zero dust! Get out there and enjoy it while it lasts!

Is this going to happen this weekend ??????
    How many people going?
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 05-24-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckwr250 View Post
    Is this going to happen this weekend ??????
    How many people going?
    Not happening this weekend for me I'll be away I was hoping it'd happen next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by trailtours View Post
    My name is Allan Lakas, I am 28 years old and have been riding motorcycles and ORVs for 20 years. I have been lucky enough to turn my passion into a career and have been working for Trail Tours and Dirt Bike School located in the Ganaraska since 1998. As manager of day to day operations I am lucky in that I get to ride almost every day, whether its teachings newbies the ins and outs of riding a motorcycle to taking seasoned riders on off road and dual sport tours throughout Ontario.

I am looking forward to becoming involved in these forums and want to wish everyone an exciting and safe riding season!
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtours View Post
    The Ganny is in great shape right now thanks to all this rain- incredible traction and zero dust! Get out there and enjoy it while it lasts!
    Welcome to the site Allan!

I hear nothing but great things about Trail Tours - have you ever considered renting bikes out for a GTAM day?

There are quite often times where members of these forums would love to join our GTAM rides, but there is no where to rent dirt bikes from. Trail Tours offers guided tours of course, but for our GTAM rides we obviously want to ride our own course and choose our paths as opposed to following a Trail Tours guide.

As well, since this is a biking site, most would have at least novice level experience - I have heard that the tours with Trail Tours are a much slower pace than what we would ride (for obvious reasons). Trying to merge our group with a trail tours group wouldn't work well, as either members from our group would be impatient waiting all the time, or members of the trail tour group would feel pressured to ride faster.

So at any rate - would Trail Tours ever consider renting a bunch of bikes to our group? You (or any member of Trail Tours) would be more than welcome to come along to make sure your bikes are treated well etc. We're not a crazy group of hooligans, so that's not an issue

Or take some of us riders on one of these more seasoned tours you speak about.

Thanks for the welcome!

As far as renting our dirt bikes you would have to talk with the owner regarding the specifics. Generally it is something we do not often do but enquiries could be directed to Steve at steve@trailtour.com

I'm not sure who told you a tour with us would be at a much slower pace than what you or other members were capable of riding, but they are grossly misinformed. Generally we always have several groups per ride ranging from complete beginners to highly advanced riders and often variations of each. Size is kept to six or less riders per group, with the average size being more around 3-4. More advanced groups spend most of their riding time exploring the several hundred kms of single track the Ganaraska has to offer, while advanced riders who have ridden with us before have the option to ride in our other riding locations that are unsuitable for less experienced riders. A typcial advanced tour with us will cover around 80-100 km of trail, the majority of which will be single track. If you are in the right group for your experience level you will experience very little waiting for other riders, often just enough to catch you breath.

Thanks for the welcome/questions and look forward to talking more to you soon!

Allan

[QUOTE=joeboo;1561585]Or take some of us riders on one of these more seasoned tours you speak about.[/QUOTE
    I spoke with Steve it would be $80 with all you can eat lunch and they would also help with showing some skills.This is with your own bike and a guide,regular rental is $240 including bike and lunch for full day.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckwr250 View Post
    I spoke with Steve it would be $80 with all you can eat lunch and they would also help with showing some skills.This is with your own bike and a guide,regular rental is $240 including bike and lunch for full day.
    Ouch - see that's the problem... no one wants to spend $240 for a GTAM day of dirtbiking, no matter how fun it is. We also don't need any "additional skills" instructions... we just want to have a relaxed day of riding, riding our own pace, choosing our own path.

What we are really looking for I guess is a "group rental discount" for our GTAM rides. Again, we don't care if instructors want to tag along to keep track of their bikes, but we don't need any instruction or leadership... just the bikes :P
    Last edited by Xhumeka; 05-30-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Ouch - see that's the problem... no one wants to spend $240 for a GTAM day of dirtbiking, no matter how fun it is. We also don't need any "additional skills" instructions... we just want to have a relaxed day of riding, riding our own pace, choosing our own path.

What we are really looking for I guess is a "group rental discount" for our GTAM rides. Again, we don't care if instructors want to tag along to keep track of their bikes, but we don't need any instruction or leadership... just the bikes :P
    Thats regular price I did not ask about group discount,I cant see that many people renting a bike to get a discount.
    Forgot to mention thats including a Ganaraska day pass,machanical and medical help if needed.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 05-30-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Spent a great day riding with TrailTours in Ganaraska last Friday. My wife, 2 teenage sons and I had a fantastic day there today.

The boys had never ridden a motorbike, nor even driven a car with a clutch, and by the end of the day they were scootin' around pretty well, with huge grins.

Wife rides street, but had never been off-road; she fell some, learned a lot, and had a fine day.

I rode dirt as a youngster, but not since the mid-80's (and I wasn't real ****-hot then). I had a ball.

The staff to customer ratio in our group was 1:1. The bikes were in great shape, the personal equipment was well-used but just fine, and in all sizes to fit everyone.

Anyone wanting to play in the wood with someone else's toys should visit TrailTours and ride Ganaraska. For 4 people, full-day, including great food, our gas to and from Toronto, and tips for the instructor and sweeps, our day cost $1,000. Not chump change, but they furnished everything except underwear.

I'll do it again, for sure.

Hello, I am an instructor/guide at Trail Tours, and I thought I would chime in with a few points. I'm sure you can understand that just renting a bike out without ensuring the rider has the proper skills would be a recipe for disaster, and Trail Tours would not have remained in business for more than 15 years if we had not placed the safety of our customers as top priority. Insurance regulations insist that all groups have a trained staff member along with first aid training.
    The instructors at Trail Tours know the Ganaraska (and other trail systems we ride) inside and out, and will lead customers at their own pace to trails that will satisfy any riding style and skill level. We are not their to nag or slow you down, but to facilitate an excellent experience and ensure you get the most bang for your buck. With hundreds of Kilometers of trails, the forest can be confusing and daunting to those who do not know it. We can take you immediately to the terrain you wish to ride.

As a long time trail rider who learned to ride as a kid by jumping in head first without any training, I can testify that a few pointers on proper off-road technique has vastly improved my riding ability, confidence and speed. The majority of seasoned off road customers that ride with us for a day leave as better riders, even though only small fraction of the day is spent on instruction.

At $240 it is really a good price, when you consider that a modern safe (used) dirt bike will cost at least $2000 and up + tax + licence (and depreciate by say $300 - $500 per year). Then you need Boots, Gloves, Helmet, goggles, Pants, chest protector, minimum investment of say $500 in gear, insurance for a strictly off road bike ranges from $200 to $500 per year, Ganaraska trail pass $125 per year, gas, say $10 - 20 per ride, lunch $10 per ride, a bike requires at least $150 - $200 maintenance per year, much more if ridden often or damaged (oil changes, tires, chains, sprockets, that is if you don't have to do engine work, wheel bearings, suspension bearings, carburetor etc.), then you need a trailer and a vehicle to haul it, a pressure washer, a garage to store it in all year, etc.

Hope to see you in the forest!
    Last edited by Paul; 06-02-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: removed advretising

This weekend??????

Sorry if I seemed to imply that $240 was not a good deal, that's not what I was saying. For the types of riders you guys cater to, and for what you offer, that appears to be a competitive rate.

You seem to imply that it's a pipe dream to hope to rent dirt bikes, but I can tell you I've traveled many places that you can rent drz's or xr's for the day, with no tour guide.

No worries, just thought I'd ask. But I'm sure you can also appreciate why some at GTAM would prefer to simply rent bikes, than to have someone tag along with us.