Ducati Monster Insurance FYI - first bike

Thread: Ducati Monster Insurance FYI - first bike

Lightbulb Ducati Monster Insurance FYI - first bike

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd help out the community by posting up some of my research in my process of getting my bike insured.

As you know some companies have recently "re-evaluated" the classification of the Ducati lineup. Luckily, the Monster is no longer "blacklisted" as a supersport... which makes complete sense. This bike will be my first.... I really could not live with myself if I had bought a CBR 125R or a Ninja 250 or 500.

Stats:
    Personal - 28 years old, male, married
    Location - Durham Region
    License - GM2: over 6 years full G, M1 in June 2010, M2 in Sept 2010
    Infractions - one 15km/h over speeding ticket in August 2009
    Insurance - no claims, no suspensions

Bike:
    Year - 2007
    Make - Ducati
    Model - Monster 695
    Displacement - 695cc
    Mileage - 9500 km
    Title - clear with no lien, currently owned outright (not financed)

I called around quite a few places in an attempt to get the best price. I'm currently insured through TD Meloche Monnex for my home and car, however as you'll see below, they couldn't come close to offering me the best price, even though I would get their "ride and drive discount", home insurance bundle discount, and UW Alumni discount.... pure BS. In fact, their agent told me outright that they do not price-match nor compete with other motorcycle insurers and actually recommended that I look elsewhere.

I've even included the contact names of people I dealt with in case you're also shopping around. It really doesn't hurt to call and get the best bang for your buck. All prices below include taxes.

(Company)
    (Contact)
    (Phone)
    (Liability Only)
    (Liability + Fire + Theft)
    (Liability + Fire + Theft + Collision)
    (Deductable)

Mantha Insurance (Broker)
    Meriel
    1-800-269-2728 x:241
    $1264/yr
    $1446/yr
    $1834/yr

Riders Plus Insurance (Broker)
    Mike
    1-877-251-4504 x:240
    $1710/yr
    $1873/yr
    $2228/yr
    ?

StateFarm Insurance
    Sandra Pereia
    416-783-1919
    ?
    $1547/yr
    $1739/yr

StateFarm Insurance
    Sabrina
    905-426-5959
    $1447.04/yr
    $1547.10/yr
    $1660.77/yr

Surenet (Jevco Broker)
    Paul South
    1-866-607-6168
    $1274/yr
    $1422/yr
    $1824/yr

John R Duffy (Broker)
    ?
    905-479-2013
    $1274/yr
    $1436/yr
    $1824/yr

TD Meloche Monnex
    ?
    416-484-1112
    $1565/yr
    $1606/yr
    $1711/yr

In the end, I ended up going with the full coverage at Statefarm (surprise, surprise) for $1,660/yr; which can actually be paid on a monthly basis at $138/month. Working with Sabrina was a total breeze, sent her my documents via email and she turned around the temporary insurance slip in an email in less than a day for me to go and register my bike. She was extremely helpful in the entire process

The bike is fairly new and is in mint condition for an '07, so the extra bit of additional coverage seemed like a no brainer. I suspect that once I pass my full year of insurance and eventually get my full M, these prices will drop considerably

I really hope this info helps the community, if at all try to get more Monsters on the road. Feel free to chime in on the thread if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Re: Ducati Monster Insurance FYI - first bike

To anyone else in the process of purchasing their first bike, THIS is the way that you research your insurance situation. Congrats Repooc on a successful shopping experience, and enjoy the Monster. Notice how he didn't buy an R6 and then post saying "WTF, why is insurance so expensive?!" This is because he has done his research, and didn't jump on buying the coolest looking bike without research.

FYI, be sure to quote with Jevco again next season, since you will then qualify for their "experienced" rate which will drop your original quote by close to 40% (i.e. Jevco will probably be cheaper than State Farm on the Monster).
    Last edited by VifferFun; 05-09-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I'm over 40, clean record, licensed/insured for 15 years and paying $626 liability only on my Monster 900. Hurray for Jevco!
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Nice bike + I think TD is best for you since their "total package" is just cheaper. You never know when an accident occurs or when bike gets stolen. Take the extra insurance for just a few bucks more. Lifes great

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    FYI, be sure to quote with Jevco again next season, since you will then qualify for their "experienced" rate which will drop your original quote by close to 40% (i.e. Jevco will probably be cheaper than State Farm on the Monster).
    Oh for sure, shopping around is key to finding the best price. Although some insurance companies do offer "loyalty" discounts... I would still go to the company that gives me the MOST savings. In the end, if you wreck your bike or get it stolen, EVERY insurance company will give you the run around to pay it out... loyalty or no loyalty. Insurance companies seldom like to part with their money just as much as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Absolutely. For reference, I was doing an insurance application today, and with Jevco, my first year will be ~2600, and my second year will be ~1600. Part of this is because I'll be moving into a more preferred category (23 years old vs. 22 years old) and because of the 1 year of experience.