BT-045 VS Avon AM26

Thread: BT-045 VS Avon AM26

Question BT-045 VS Avon AM26

Hey all I'm looking to get a new rear tire in the next month or two for my 250.
    I'm thinking of getting Avon AM26, as I've heard nothing but great things about them and it seams there is always talk here about the Bridgestone BT-045. For the 250's

I'm looking for something that has long tread life, and good grip even in the rain.
    O and FYI to help me out I do lots of highway riding.
    Anyone using Avon AM26?
    My Ride: 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Re: BT-045 VS Avon AM26

I do not know about Avons, but have heard they are not super in the rain (don't think this was the AM26 though, maybe the 22-23).

BT45s are excellent in the rain and in the dry. I have done some wet twisty riding on a BT45 shod RZ, no slips. Only got about 4000km from a rear tire though. I would think your 250 will be easier on tires than my RZ350 was.

The Avons are excellent in the rain.
    Plus, the V-rated Avons cost less than the H-rated BT-045.
    Some BT-045 sizes are also available V-rated, but cost even more...
    Hey it rains all the time in England, if the Avons were no good in the wet, they might as well just give up.
    Get the Avon 140 rear for the little Ninja.
    Not sure about people who put a 150 (radial) on though - isn't that too big for the rim?
    Think I'd stick with the stock bias-ply, but with one size bigger 140 rear.
    Old Ninja, runs good.

I used the BT45s on my 250 ninja last year with absolutly no problems. Never used Avons. The BT45s lasted me about 11kms on the rear if i can remember correctly. and I do a mixture of all the riding.

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like I would be good to go either way. I'm just trying to find out what one would have the longer tread life now I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Get the Avon 140 rear for the little Ninja.
    Why go with the 140 instead of the 130? Would it just be more rubber on the ground for better grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Favre View Post
    The BT45s lasted me about 11kms on the rear if i can remember correctly. and I do a mixture of all the riding.
    Only 11K? - I'm @ 17K on oem tires and plan to push them to 20K, I have tons of rubber on the side, but the middle is pretty much bald and they are squaring off (stupid straight highways)

Quote Originally Posted by guym View Post
    Why go with the 140 instead of the 130? Would it just be more rubber on the ground for better grip?

Well that's not exactly true.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...=1#post1545921
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorsythe
    i hate to say this but i never said i was correct.

My stock IRC rear lasted me about 13k km, it was pretty much done and squared while the front had plenty life...Then I got Metzeler Lasertecs which lasted about 12k km before the rear was pretty much down to the fibres. Then I put on a BT-45 140 rear, its been very good to me in all conditions. Its at 6.5k right now and has about 40-45% of its life left and I ride hard...pretty much as hard as a 250 goes. Don't expect any more than 12-15k max on any rear tire other than the rock hard IRCs.

I still have the Lasertec front and once its done even if the rear tire still has a bit of life I'm going to switch them out because I already have a set of 110/150 radials waiting to be put on Just to point out the BT-45 is dual compound in the rear...Harder center which is good for highway and softer sides for twisties

I've just read a thread above mine http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...n-Help-my-wife
    looks like Avon will be the way I go thanks all!