Bike will not start - is the battery to blame?

Thread: Bike will not start - is the battery to blame?

Banned

Question Bike will not start - is the battery to blame?

Hey Guys

I have a 2008 Suzuki GS500F. I purchased the bike with 000088 KM on the ODO, now it's got about 1,100 KMs on it. Until today the bike has been perfect, started 1st time every time.

I inserted the key all of the lights, gauges etc. come on no problem. But when I hit the starter button the headlight dims or goes off and it doesn't even try to turn over or make any noise. I put on a multimeter to the battery terminals and it reads 12.7 volts (with the bike not running).

The only way I've been able to get the bike going is to jump start it. When I did that I took it out for a 15 minute spin, got back home parked the bike then shut it off. Tried to re-start it right away and it wouldn't start the same as before.

Given that the bike is mechanically "new" I'm hesitant to think it is anything other than the battery. Especially since I suspect that the previous owner failed to properly winterize it (battery tender, fuel stabilizer etc.)

Since this is my first bike I haven't had the need to buy a charger for it yet, so I can't hook it up overnight to see if that rectifies the problem. Edit, is the C-Tek charger a set-it-and-forget-it unit? In other words plug the charger in and leave it on until the spring?

Before I go and throw down whatever a battery costs for these things I'd appreciate some advice regarding the wisest way to proceed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sundancekid; 05-08-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Re: Bike will not start - is the battery to blame?

I would first check the connections to the battery, make sure they are clean, use some emery cloth.

Sounds like the connection is lose or the battery isn't holding charge. When you try to turn it on does it make the click click click sound and doesn't cough? If yes, then it's most likely your battery. If your lights go brighter when you hook it up to the booster cables then it's the battery. You can buy a battery at riders choice. I know that if it's not a battery issue you can return the battery there.

Happened to me couple weeks ago and I had to buy a battery for about $100 although I thought it was pretty steep. I guess I just wanted to ride

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aLiveandiNsane View Post
    Sounds like the connection is lose or the battery isn't holding charge. When you try to turn it on does it make the click click click sound and doesn't cough? If yes, then it's most likely your battery. If your lights go brighter when you hook it up to the booster cables then it's the battery. You can buy a battery at riders choice. I know that if it's not a battery issue you can return the battery there.

Happened to me couple weeks ago and I had to buy a battery for about $100 although I thought it was pretty steep. I guess I just wanted to ride
    No when I try to turn it over there aren't any clicking or coughing sounds. Since it appears to be a battery issue I price hunting and found that Royal Distributing has the battery I need for $43.99 which is significantly less expensive than Canadian Tire. http://www.royaldistributing.com/mai...PageNumber=376

I hooked up the battery on a 2A automotive charger to see if it will hold a charge. If it doesn't I'm going to see about a new battery.

Update: After putting the old battery on a charger for 2 hours the bike still wouldn't start. Went to Royal Dist. to purchase a new battery and a proper tender/charger. Hopefully this will fix the problem, will put in another update after the battery gets the initial 10 hour charge.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 05-08-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Banned

Update 5-10-2011

Replaced battery with a new fully charged unit - bike still won't turn over unless I jump start it I guess I might have to try to get into Rosey Toes with it to see what the hell is wrong with it.

A brand new fully charged battery won't start it, but boosting it from a car battery will?
    How much current does this bad boy draw !!

With the new fully charged battery, what does it do? it doesn't even turn over?

me too, got the same problem tonight, but I got some "tak tak tak" noise from starter relay
    battery's fine, charge it through winter, boost from running car, volt meter is fine on battery, oh no!!!!! I have a M test tomorrow morning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Fox View Post
    me too, got the same problem tonight, but I got some "tak tak tak" noise from starter relay
    battery's fine, charge it through winter, oh no!!!!! I have a M test tomorrow morning!!!
    Your battery is fine, but it won't start the bike? You sure?

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Your battery is fine, but it won't start the bike? You sure?
    sure, charge by running car, and battery booster, and volt meter all show me good
    too late to cancel the test :<

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Fox View Post
    sure, charge by running car, and battery booster, and volt meter all show me good
    too late to cancel the test :<
    Volt meter will tell you very very little about the condition of the battery.
    Unless you are measuring the voltage under a known load - which could tell you lots about the battery (AKA load test).

Banned

A brand new fully charged battery won't start it, but boosting it from a car battery will?
    How much current does this bad boy draw !!

With the new fully charged battery, what does it do? it doesn't even turn over?
    Sorry I should clarify I didn't boost start the bike. I pushed it along and popped the clutch, the bike fires up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Sorry I should clarify I didn't boost start the bike. I pushed it along and popped the clutch, the bike fires up that way.
    Oh, so this could be as simple as a fuse, or a starter solenoid / relay / switch / clutch switch / sidestand switch
    Do you have a wiring schematic for this bike?
    Last edited by djltoronto; 05-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.

I've circled some key components for you!

Note, this is from a slightly older GS500 - but I think all/most is the same.
    Slightly bigger by clicking here - http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/3734/gs500.png

Banned

Oh, so this could be as simple as a fuse, or a starter solenoid / relay / switch / clutch switch / sidestand switch
    Do you have a wiring schematic for this bike?
    Thanks DJ TO I'll check those items out. Last night I was reading the owner's manual and it mentioned the fuse (could only find 1 yellow one labeled 20) and the side-stand switch. Both of those look to be OK. Forgive my ignorance as I'm not very technical with bikes; but if the cause of the problem was something else wouldn't it shut the bike off right away?

Thanks DJ TO I'll check those items out. Last night I was reading the owner's manual and it mentioned the fuse (could only find 1 yellow one labeled 20) and the side-stand switch. Both of those look to be OK. Forgive my ignorance as I'm not very technical with bikes; but if the cause of the problem was something else wouldn't it shut the bike off right away?
    No, not if the problem lies in the starting circuit. It will only prevent the starter motor from turning - otherwise, the bike will run fine.

Banned
    No, not if the problem lies in the starting circuit. It will only prevent the starter motor from turning - otherwise, the bike will run fine.
    Aaaahh, I see, that makes perfect sense.

Banned

OK, the issue is resolved. It was a super easy solution that as embarrassing as it is I'll reveal for the sake of helping others. I needed an oil change so I hit up Rosey Toes. While I was there, I mentioned the issue to Ted and he walked over to my bike and fixed it in 5 seconds (literally). What had happened was the connector for the clutch sensor/relay was loose, once he clicked it in the bike started up no problem.

I admit that when Ted told me what it was I felt pretty stupid but he was totally cool about it and said not to worry since he's the pro. One of the other mechanics there said "Ted is sort of a genius when it comes to bikes so don't feel bad."

DJ TO was correct, the issue was in the starting circuit, but it wasn't what I expected. However it was a simple fix which was exactly what I hoped for. Case closed.

OK, the issue is resolved. It was a super easy solution that as embarrassing as it is I'll reveal for the sake of helping others. I needed an oil change so I hit up Rosey Toes. While I was there, I mentioned the issue to Ted and he walked over to my bike and fixed it in 5 seconds (literally). What had happened was the connector for the clutch sensor/relay was loose, once he clicked it in the bike started up no problem.

I admit that when Ted told me what it was I felt pretty stupid but he was totally cool about it and said not to worry since he's the pro. One of the other mechanics there said "Ted is sort of a genius when it comes to bikes so don't feel bad."

DJ TO was correct, the issue was in the starting circuit, but it wasn't what I expected. However it was a simple fix which was exactly what I hoped for. Case closed.
    good for you, I check everything (I think) and still have no idea :>