Sportbike wheels/rims. What fits on what?

Thread: Sportbike wheels/rims. What fits on what?

Question Sportbike wheels/rims. What fits on what?

Okay. This might seem like a stupid question, but I want to know.

Will all wheels fit all bikes as long as the diameters are the same? For example, I have a 2005 Zx6r. Would a set of wheels from a cbr600 Honda fit on it? How do you determine what will work and what won't work? I'm thinking that as long as the diameter and rim width are the same, in theory any will work. Can anybody clear this up for me? I want to get a second set of wheels, but I want to know if I am limited to buying only the same year Kawasaki's, or if I can use something else. Thanks. I hope you have the answers, cause I don't have a clue!

Re: Sportbike wheels/rims. What fits on what?

kawi wheels for kawi, honda wheels for hondas.

which diameter are you talking about here?? the rim? zxr6s would have 5.5" inch wide rims...for the rear....vs a 1000 would have a 6inch wide..

You can make anything fit with some effort/spacers/machining...

Okay thanks. I thought that's how it is, but wasn't sure. I guess I was wondering because, although I've never taken measurements, I thought that most super-sport 600's would use similar wheel and tire sizes. So then I thought, If the wheel width was the same, say 5.5", and the rim diameter was 17", could one not just change out the rear sprocket and bolt them up? What are the things I am not taking into consideration? Are the Axles that run through the center of the wheel different from one manufacturer to the next? When you mentioned spacers in your first response, that makes sense to me because the wheels might be the same size, but how they bolt up to the bikes could vary, and not line up straight.

Well now that you've cleared that up for me, thanks by the way, where is the best place for me to get a good set of rims for my 2005 ZX6r? Are there any motorcycle wreckers in the GTA?

Quote Originally Posted by CDN zx6r View Post
    Okay thanks. I thought that's how it is, but wasn't sure. I guess I was wondering because, although I've never taken measurements, I thought that most super-sport 600's would use similar wheel and tire sizes. So then I thought, If the wheel width was the same, say 5.5", and the rim diameter was 17", could one not just change out the rear sprocket and bolt them up? What are the things I am not taking into consideration? Are the Axles that run through the center of the wheel different from one manufacturer to the next? When you mentioned spacers in your first response, that makes sense to me because the wheels might be the same size, but how they bolt up to the bikes could vary, and not line up straight.

Well now that you've cleared that up for me, thanks by the way, where is the best place for me to get a good set of rims for my 2005 ZX6r? Are there any motorcycle wreckers in the GTA?
    Theyre all different. They can even be different between manufacturers and years. You need to take into consideration wheel diameter (both the rim and where it bolts up to the forks/swingarm), axle size, bolt patterns and locations for sprocket, calipers, etc, offsets, etc. Basically if you want to get something thats a direct bolt on, youre looking at other bikes of the exact same model. You can make anything at all fit, but it all depends on how much time and money you want to put into it, and how handy you are with machining and tools.

*edit* check ebay for rims, thats where you will find the best deals. Or craigslist and kijiji for some guy parting out a bike. This forum also has a parts section. As for actual wreckers, theres zdenos out in kitchener, and TO cycle down on lakeshore, and Toronto Cycle Salvage out in the beaches.

For your bike any 2005-2011 ZX6R rims will bolt right on. If you just want a front wheel then any 2003-2011 ZX6R or 2006-2011 ZX10 rim will fit

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.