Tucking on highway - wind noise etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tucking on highway - wind noise etc

Tucking on highway - wind noise etc

ok, so its only about my 3rd month on my 2008 250r. im getting used to maintaining highway speeds (120+) but find if im not almost resting my chin on the tank, i take a beating from the wind. i also find if i turn my head to shoulder check, theres quite a bit of turbulence from the wind over the stock windscreen. i know it definately looks funny to be full tucked on a 250 but i find its the only way i can ride comfortably for longer periods of time on the highway. any suggestions outside a double bubble ?
    I am an Inter-provincial Licensed Automotive Service Technician
    I specialize in Volkswagen's !!

Re: Tucking on highway - wind noise etc

If you go real fast it wont look silly

So this is your first bike? You get used to it. If you think 120 is bad try a buck 80! LOL
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

Also, different helmet designs and brands have different aerodynamics, as per your helmet turbulence issue. I had this problem my first year riding with a low-end model of HJC but switch to SUOMY soon after and never left...
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

yeah, you'll get used to it
    I’d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

I was worried about doing highway speeds, but caught myself doing 100 on Mavis (so easy to speed with bikes). It's not too bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dossantos25 View Post
    i take a beating from the wind.
    When I first started doing highways I was always trying to fight the wind to stay dead center on the bike.
    After getting tired of riding for 15 minutes on the highway I fgured out I was doing it wrong. Now I just make sure I am holding the tank with my thighs, grip the handle bar JUST ENOUGH so that I have control of the levers/throttle/buttons and to stop the wind from pulling me off the bike.
    After all this, I let the wind have its way with me. I basically sit upright and my head bobs from left to right, front to back as the wind pleases.
    You get used to it.
    I can do long highway rides that way with no problem.
    You waste more energy fighting it than you do just letting it happen.

I have no experience with the double bubble windscreens, but I'm skeptical on how well they would work on new sportbikes that have nearly-horizontal windsreens lol.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by k1LO View Post
    Also, different helmet designs and brands have different aerodynamics, as per your helmet turbulence issue. I had this problem my first year riding with a low-end model of HJC but switch to SUOMY soon after and never left...
    +1 The bikes were test ridden by short Japanese dudes who told the designer that the windscreen was perfect. You could always try a MRA vario spoiler...

Soumy and Shoei make some great helmets that will reduce buffeting, and wearing leather instead of loose textile further reduces drag.

For the noise, a better helmet helps, but for longer trips wear ear plugs or suffer hearing loss. At the shows they sell custom fit ear plugs for around 80 dollars. I've had mine for three seasons and won't go on a trip without them. My Suomy was 35% quieter than the HJC I replaced.
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 05-05-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: earplugs

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I think you just need time to get used to it. I ride a cruiser and have no windscreen to hide behind so I feel the pain. So the way I see it is relax, enjoy the ride. Don't fight it, try to find a comfortable position and drive safely.
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

Yea its my first bike, first year riding. i can only imagine the windforces above 140, ive gone faster in a car but clearly not comparible. i have an Arai Profile Helmet, possibly 2009 model. i guess i just need to go with the flow of the air lol.

Banned

As others said:
    1) you'll get used to it
    2) better helmets have better aerodynamics

also:
    3) depending on your engine, tucking in alone could add 15km at least to your speed without moving your throttle hand. Even on my ZX10R when I tuck around 160kph my speed instantly goes up 10kph. After 180kph I need to tuck.
    4) Try (one day) popping up out of a tuck at 275kph, it almost instantly knocks 50kph (wind breaking)...and be sure to hold on!!! And make sure your helmet strap is tight!!!

BTW keep your back pack and helmet straps short and tied up over 120kph unless you wanna be whipped like a sassy donkey!

Quote Originally Posted by jeero View Post
    When I first started doing highways I was always trying to fight the wind to stay dead center on the bike.
    After getting tired of riding for 15 minutes on the highway I fgured out I was doing it wrong. Now I just make sure I am holding the tank with my thighs, grip the handle bar JUST ENOUGH so that I have control of the levers/throttle/buttons and to stop the wind from pulling me off the bike.
    After all this, I let the wind have its way with me. I basically sit upright and my head bobs from left to right, front to back as the wind pleases.
    You get used to it.
    I can do long highway rides that way with no problem.
    You waste more energy fighting it than you do just letting it happen.
    lol.
    I tried that last night, that worked very well too for me.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Quote Originally Posted by alaywa View Post
    As others said:

4) Try (one day) popping up out of a tuck at 275kph, it almost instantly knocks 50kph (wind breaking)...and be sure to hold on!!! And make sure your helmet strap is tight!!!
    not happening anytime soon on a 250cc :P

The wind on your chest can actually help take pressure off your back and wrists on long rides also.

Sent from my Desire HD

3) depending on your engine, tucking in alone could add 15km at least to your speed without moving your throttle hand.
    +1
    It does depend on your engine, my v4 750cc doing this adds no speed and also keeps the rpm I need to go at hwy speed the same as if I was up like normal

The most tiring part of the wind is the constant buffeting front/back/side/side. For this reason I don't follow vans, SUVs or tractor trailers unless I have no other choice, the air is too "dirty" behind them. Pickup trucks and cars are not so bad, but the ideal is to be out in the clean air with nobody in front...... not so easy on a 250.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Loosen up. Get earplugs. If you lock your shoulders and elbows any force that the wind exerts against your body will be transmitted to the bars. Some people ride without a windscreen at all.

Sorry, I just had to join these two together when I saw them:

Quote Originally Posted by dossantos25 View Post
    ok, so its only about my 3rd month on my ...
    4) Try (one day) popping up out of a tuck at 275kph...
    Where else can a new rider get advice like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickflyer View Post
    So this is your first bike? You get used to it. If you think 120 is bad try a buck 80! LOL
    try250+ thats a whole new experience

Quote Originally Posted by black06r6 View Post
    try250+ thats a whole new experience
    Yeah its called being a super squid.

You could be charged with street racing if the right officer see you 'tucking'.

Cheers,
    Two
    Son, observe the time and fly from evil.
    Ecc.IV.23.