03 EX500 Tire Selection, Help my wife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 EX500 Tire Selection, Help my wife

03 EX500 Tire Selection, Help my wife

Hey everyone,

Wondering if someone can help me out. I haven’t been riding long enough toknow tires and my wife’s EX500 needs a new front tire (belt broke) I have thesizes but she.....umm how do I say this nicely.... Lacks confidence in herriding abilities and I support her opinion lol. Well I tried.

So I need some help in selecting a tire that isn’t to aggressive but caninspire her confidence as well as mine.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Steve

Re: 03 EX500 Tire Selection, Help my wife

There are bias-ply tires in the appropriate sizes available from all major brands.
    Metzeler, Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop and Bridgestone offer H-rated tires.
    Avon offers V-rated rubber for an extremely competitive price.
    So Avon (AM26) should be your number one choice!
    The stock rear EX500 size is only 130, though 140 is available and fits no problem.
    But resist any urge to over-size the front...
    The nice modern sticky Avon rubber will definitely inspire confidence, because the tire is very good.
    Regards
    Old Ninja, runs good.

If you are just replacing the front tire you really should get the one that matches the rear tire, assuming that it is still in good shape and has lots of wear left in it.

My plan is IF I can find a good deal for a front and rear then Ill get the set BUT if I cant find a price im satisfied with then Ill just by the same brand/type of tire that is on the rear, Which I dont know what that is because the bike is at a friends garage..hopefully ill know by later tonight.

She is not a confident rider and I dont want a tire that is to....aggressive in profile (if Im saying this right) I dont want her on a V style tire, more of a U style LOL.

I had a ninja 500 last year (same tire sizes). My buddy had a ninja 250 as well.

I would choose the Bridgestone BT-045's as my top choice. They are dual compound so she will get good mileage out of the tire, as well as having confidence inspiring edges if and/or when she decides to lean the bike over.

They are great in rain as well.

I have Pirelli sport demons on my 500, awesome tires, but soft compound so it won't last as long (I've heard). More performance oriented then touring.

I have no clue as to whether these tires are U or V shaped.
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

My GF has a GS500f and has gone through 2 sets of BT-45's so far (130/70/17 & 120/60/17) Despite the BT-45's being dual compound rear - we thought we'd try something different for her. (her front tire always scallops severely on her for no apparent reason)

After reading this --> http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php/Tire_Comparison

and debating costs and availability etc.....We settled on the Avon Roadriders for my GF's GS500
    Then took a cruise over to Royal Distributing and picked them up (they were in stock).
    Since there is currently a no tax tent sale... TOTAL price was $202.98 out the door.

I haven't installed them yet - so I can offer no feedback just yet.

Here's the Royal Dist Part numbers FYI

here is what my GF's front BT-45 looks like after 15,000kms (exact same as the last set).
    I assure you, she rides quite gingerly - always

And here = from 16,000 kms ago.. her new vs old front BT45

Could it be heavy braking that made the tires wear in like that? I don't know much about tires though...
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Despite the BT-45's being dual compound rear - we thought we'd try something different for her. (her front tire always scallops severely on her for no apparent reason)
    The "scallops" are not from the tire, but the front suspension, the rebound is off.
    Watch this: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6516891
    V4s growl, inlines whine.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko! View Post
    The "scallops" are not from the tire, but the front suspension, the rebound is off.
    That may be, but her bike is bone stock, with no adjustability, not even preload. She bought it new, and the scalloping issue has occurred since new.

I suspect different tires, with the same stock suspension will not scallop like this.

That linked video is like 1.5 hours. Is there a short section that deals with casual street riding?

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    That may be, but her bike is bone stock, with no adjustability, not even preload. She bought it new, and the scalloping issue has occurred since new.

I suspect different tires, with the same stock suspension will not scallop like this.

That linked video is like 1.5 hours. Is there a short section that deals with casual street riding?
    You asked why, and I provided a possible solution. 90 minutes is a long time, but sometimes there isn't a 30 second answer. Good luck with the new tires.
    Last edited by Franko!; 05-04-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    V4s growl, inlines whine.

You asked why, and I provided a possible solution. 90 minutes is a long time, but sometimes there isn't a 30 second answer. Good luck with the new tires.
    I'll let you know how she makes out with the Avons.

BT45s
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

I've had experience w/ the BT45s cupping also, but still managed to get 15000 km out of a front regardless. Like Franko! mentioned, it's likely a suspension issue, but most bikes that run bias tires will also have damper rod forks (non adjustable), so it's not like it's an easily fixed problem. I think that all 3 tires (BT45, Sport Demons, AM26) are great for the job. Get whatever suits your fancy/budget. I believe the Demons have the fastest wear rate of the 3 but I have no direct experience with them (though a friend swears by them for his EX500, but he hasn't tried anything else). I have just mounted a set of AM26's on an EX500 and will find out how they fare this season.

I found an online review/comparo a while back (that I can't find the link to atm) from one of the british mags that put all the sport touring bias tires on a GS500 and compared them directly. The AM26 came out on top. The Demons were ranked low due to wear - though they had the best grip out of the box, they faded fast. The BT45 were ranked highly as well, one notch under the AM26. Dunlop was up there also, but that tire is hard to find this side of the sea.
    Last edited by fugue; 05-05-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Just shut up and ride.

I tend to think the scallops are caused by the tire exclusively, and not the suspension at all.
    The video you linked hardly talks about scallops.

From - http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html
    CUPPING:
    Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping (see pictures, but we will use the more common term "cupping" here), is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns (thank you for that Mr. Tire!). This cupping develops within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when one banks into a turn. Upon examination of the pictures at left of our sample rear Avon, our dusted front VTX Dunlop D256, and the picture of our chalked Dunlop D206 one can see how the cupping follows the tread pattern. The leading edge of the tread does not flex much as it grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern where the tread flexes more causing less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the cupping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this cupping will develop. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is softer. As one can see, the simple tread pattern of the Avon pictured produces a simpler scallop pattern while the more complex VTX D256 Dunlop is somewhat involved, though still easily seen in our photo. Cupping on the Valkyrie Dunlop D206 is very hard to photograph because of the complex tread pattern. Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many serviceable miles by running low. Improper balance has nothing to do with cupping on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate within certain specific speed ranges.
    The following textual illustration comes from Martin who contributed to this article by E-mail on June 26, 2006:
    I was just reading your bit on "cupping" and thought I'd share with you how I describe what's going on. I usually tell people that what's happening is that the individual "blocks" or "islands" of tread are squirming and deforming due to the forces applied to them during cornering and braking. When this deforming takes place, the wear is naturally not evenly distributed across the surface of the tread. (I define a tread block as an area of the tire surface surrounded by a groove.) I next tell people they can demonstrate to themselves what's happening by taking a new pencil with an unused eraser on the end and while holding the pencil perfectly vertical, push down and drag the eraser on a rough surface in one direction. Then I tell them to look at the eraser and note that all the wear is on the leading edge and not evenly distributed across the end surface of the eraser. It seems to make the concept easier for many to understand. Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorsythe
    i hate to say this but i never said i was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.from.canmore View Post
    I tend to think the scallops are caused by the tire exclusively, and not the suspension at all.
    The video you linked hardly talks about scallops.
    ...but then, you'd tend to be wrong.

And how come you can post that link, but argue against it's premise in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    And how come you can post that link, but argue against it's premise in another thread.
    The other thread involves only a fixed speed in a straight line - no slip.
    link I posted here involves riding on the road (accelerating, braking & turning)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorsythe
    i hate to say this but i never said i was correct.

Hey its my thread, NO arguing LOL

Sorry I didnt get on the other night with what tires are on her bike. I checked and they are BT45s, Now I totally forgot to mention that last year at the begining of the season she had a leak in her tire which was an easy fix with a plug. SO I figure now I might as well just get a set of tires. So the top picks for this type of ride are the Demons,AM26 and BT45's. Now to find the best prices. Thanks a lot guys.

For the ones that are trying out new tires let me know how your tires worked out.

Steve

I've just put a set of Avon Roadrider am26 on my ex500. Have put about 700km on them. Very happy with them. Have good grip in dry and wet conditions. The ride is well dampened with these tires. Picked them up from Petes Superbikes for $195 tax in with free shipping fedex ground and had them mounted and balanced by Ted @ RoseyToes while I waited. Was talking to another ex500 rider who is very happy with the Michelin Pilot Activ also reviewed in the ex500 test.

Carlos

Found the link to the bias tire comparison - it was from Bike magazine in 2008. It can be found at http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php/Tire_Comparison

You may find it useful.
    Just shut up and ride.