2010 Ninja 250R - Tires, and Rear Turn Signals (LED)

Thread: 2010 Ninja 250R - Tires, and Rear Turn Signals (LED)

2010 Ninja 250R - Tires, and Rear Turn Signals (LED)

Hey guys,

Have a 2010 Ninja 250R; I've put over 20,000km on my stock IRC tires and am getting my rear tire replaced this week. The shop I deal with can't seem to get either the Bridgestone or the Pirelli tires that I'd been recommended, and they've instead ordered me an Avon rear tire (not sure what specific model) and am just curious if anyone else here has tried them. Mainly wondering how they grip/how they handle in rain versus my stock IRC's..

Also, the shop tells me I won't have any problems mixing the new Avon rear tire with my old stock front tire, but I've read that it's bad to mix brands and I would appreciate a second opinion or twelve. :P

On another note, last year I picked up a fender eliminator kit as well as an integrated LED tail-light for the 250R. On two separate occasions now, I've had an issue where my left turn signal suddenly would not blink, but instead turn on solid; the right one seems fine. I suspect a wire may be loose/broken from one of the relay/resistor/whatever blocks which came with the LED signals; however assuming it's not just the wire, and is the block itself, what would I need to do in order to replace/fix the faulty unit? Additionally, I'd like to slow down the flashing rate as I find the blinkers don't stay on long enough (blinks on for a much shorter period of time than it's off.)

Feedack/suggestions?

Re: 2010 Ninja 250R - Tires, and Rear Turn Signals (LED)

Start dealing a different shop, because any proper motorcycle shop should be able to order you Pirelli or Bridgestone (you leave these two out and you have eliminated two very good brands for no good reason ...) tire of correct size. Mixing brands and mainly tires with different compounds (grip) is not ideal, but hardly a showstopper or something you will notice in your type of riding ...... unless the shop you are dealing with is putting an Avon dual sport tire, in another words dramatically different tire, meaning wrong tire for your bike.

Sorry, can't help you with LED tail light kit ...

Since you're set on going with bias-ply tires, there really only 3 options:

1) Bridgestone BT-45
    2) Dunlop GT-501
    3) Pirelli Sport Demons

Don't accept any other tire. Here's a link to a magazine review that was posted on the Ninjette forums. Read the article and you'll see that the Avon tires were pretty well received. However, it seems that first-hand experience from forum members contradicts this.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9780

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
    Since you're set on going with bias-ply tires, there really only 3 options:
    1) Bridgestone BT-45
    2) Dunlop GT-501
    3) Pirelli Sport Demons
    Don't accept any other tire.
    This is not good advice! I'm surprised at you Horizon.
    The Avon (AM26) is an excellent choice, offering V-rated rubber for less money than the other H-rated tires.
    Very affordable, and good tire too.

I did a tire survey of the six major brands in Ninja 250 sizes, including 140 'oversize' rear (not available in all brands).
    The clear winner was Avon, available in either 140 or the stock 130 rear size, and all in stock at Parts Canada the Canadian distributor.
    So they are immediately available to any motorcycle shop...
    Last edited by Gryphon; 05-04-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    Old Ninja, runs good.

Knowledge just got some new rubber put on, see what he says about the replacement

Pilot Activs also come in stock sizes, they wear evenly and last forever.

for your turn signal issue, have you replaced the stock flasher?

There's a part from Princess Auto that's a direct replacement (with a couple of zip ties of course) which may help your flash rate. as long as you are still using the stock bulbs in the front you shouldn't need to do the diode mod or load resistors.

This is the flasher you want: http://www.princessauto.com/trailer/...ircuit-flasher

it's inside the left rear tail section of your fairings, which you'll need to remove to get at it. you might be able to get it out without taking the plastics off, but it doesn't take long to do.

and for tires, I just put on a set of BT-016's in 110/70-17 front and 150/60-17 rear and I love them. only had them on for about 1500km so far but I really like how they handle. the turn in isn't as sharp as it is with the 130 rear, but once it's over it feels really well planted.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    and for tires, I just put on a set of BT-016's in 110/70-17 front and 150/60-17 rear and I love them. only had them on for about 1500km so far but I really like how they handle. the turn in isn't as sharp as it is with the 130 rear, but once it's over it feels really well planted.
    By chance did you get that rear tire installed at 22Customs? I saw a 250R there a few weeks back that he had installed a 150/60 on.

And thanks for the advice, I'll look into it for sure.

Btw: got my Avon rear, love it so far. Can't remember the exact model ATM but will update later.

nope, had a guy here in Barrie change them for me. Like i said, if you're still running the stock flasher you might have probs. I've got LED's all around plus an integrated tail light and that flasher plus the diode mod makes everything flash normally.