Any roads along the coast of Ontario Lake?

Thread: Any roads along the coast of Ontario Lake?

Wink Any roads along the coast of Ontario Lake?

Hey guys...

i have a question... i need to find a good road (or series of roads) that go along the coast of Ontario Lake, from Toronto, to Scarborough, and to as far East as possible...

I'm from the Scarborough bluffs and for the past 5 years i have found great places to see along the lake, but now that i have a bike, i was thinking to do a trip around that area for a day or 2... to as far east as possible but i don't know any roads... does anyone know this area well? If so, can you give me some info...?

Your help is appreciated Thanks

cheers

Ramtin

Re: Any roads along the coast of Ontario Lake?

If you venture further East of Scarborough you can follow the Lakeshore route starting south of Newcastle and follow it to Port Hope and then along HWY #2 and several other roads out to Prince Edward County.

Use google maps or http://www.motowhere.com/ and create a route and look for the twisty and smaller roads that run along the lake.

Enjoy
    Ride Safe.....

http://www.motowhere.com/

2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Faster Silver) -SOLD

Looking for a Ducati Monster, BMW R1200R or 2008 Gen 2 FZ1

PM if you have one for sale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtin View Post
    Hey guys...

i have a question... i need to find a good road (or series of roads) that go along the coast of Ontario Lake, from Toronto, to Scarborough, and to as far East as possible...
    Plenty of history on that stretch.

If you manage to get as far as Morrisburg, stop in at Upper Canada Village. http://uppercanadavillage.com/

Many of the buildings in Upper Canada Village were saved from villages doomed by the flood basin that was created by the Cornwall Power dam in the late 1950's. http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/ind...lost-villages/

A little further along past Upper Canada Village is the Long Sault Parkway. The islands that make up the parkway are really just the hilltops left over when the Cornwall dam was built, flooding what used to be a fairly narrow St Lawrence River and its valley behind the dam.

There are also campgrounds along the Parkway of you want to stop and spend the night. http://www.stlawrenceparks.com/lsp.htm Campers get 40% off tickets to Upper Canada Village. http://www.stlawrenceparks.com/ucvpromo.htm

The parkway ride is scenic, and if you look carefully, you'll see where the old roads back in the 1950's used to be as stretches of pavement inexplicably lead into the now much higher and wider river basin.

If you get that far, the Cornwall Power Dam has a visitor center that may be worth visiting. http://www.opg.com/community/activit...r%20centre.asp
    Last edited by turbodish; 05-03-2011 at 09:58 PM.

thanks guys. you guys a GTAM are very helpful
    appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    If you venture further East of Scarborough you can follow the Lakeshore route starting south of Newcastle and follow it to Port Hope and then along HWY #2 and several other roads out to Prince Edward County.

Use google maps or http://www.motowhere.com/ and create a route and look for the twisty and smaller roads that run along the lake.

Enjoy

I didn't know lakeshore starts again from south of Newcastle.. can you please tell me where it is exactly on the map? like what intersection am i looking for?

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtin View Post
    I didn't know lakeshore starts again from south of Newcastle.. can you please tell me where it is exactly on the map? like what intersection am i looking for?

Thanks very much

actually i've found it! THANK YOU!

How about those Kingston area members? Don't want to give up the nice roads near the water/islands?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    How about those Kingston area members? Don't want to give up the nice roads near the water/islands?
    I forgot all about Wolfe Island. The OP could consider hopping on the free Wolfe Island ferry out of Kingston to do a bit of sightseeing on Wolfe Island's roads. There's not many of them, but parts are picturesque.

I remember doing some boat-access camping on Cedar Island (between Wolfe island and Old Fort Henry) one year, and the General Wolfe Inn on Wolfe Island was my preferred night spot with the boat docks right out front across the road. The islander locals were a real friendly bunch as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    I forgot all about Wolfe Island. The OP could consider hopping on the free Wolfe Island ferry out of Kingston to do a bit of sightseeing on Wolfe Island's roads. There's not many of them, but parts are picturesque.

I remember doing some boat-access camping on Cedar Island (between Wolfe island and Old Fort Henry) one year, and the General Wolfe Inn on Wolfe Island was my preferred night spot with the boat docks right out front across the road. The islander locals were a real friendly bunch as I recall.
    Prince Edward county and the Glenora Ferry as well. It's a great way to spend a day ride to Kingston then 401 it back after lunch.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Prince Edward county and the Glenora Ferry as well. It's a great way to spend a day ride to Kingston then 401 it back after lunch.

I knew someone would chime in. Thanks folks.

BTW, I'm always caging to the major cities and never get to see the neat suff that is so close by. I'm going to be riding a lot more this season so, I'm taking notes.

Cheers.

Depending on how far you plan on going there are some nice roads around Gananoake (I think that's how it's spelt) and hwy 2 will eventually lead you to Montreal.... it's a very scenic piece of road.