Cross Country roadtrips - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country roadtrips

Re: Cross Country roadtrips

I am out of school and have a fairly flexible schedule at work such that I can take a week or two here or there no problem. I am just starting to have the money to take trips like this. This year James Bay, next year something similar to WheeliBoy and the following year will be Prudhoe Bay Alaska.

I think one of the big things is people like to see someone else do it, realize it is possible, get tips and tricks from the person doing it, and try and mimic a similar trip. I am a bit weary of my first trip this year but at the same time when I read about someone doing a longer trip and other ride reports, it makes me feel a little bit better.

Live for the long rides. I have to fill in my map! But, I do need my job to pay for this luxury, so some years I only get a week or two.
    Every 3rd year I save up enough time off for a longer adventure. California in 2013 (unless the world has ended)

Next year, I'm adding Europe to it

I try to do at least 1 2000km+ ride every year. My first year on the bike I did a 2800km circuit of ON in 3 days, last year was a trip to quebec city & back, bear in mind all of this is on a cbr125. If you really want to do it you can find a way.

+1 for long trips being one the great aspects of riding.

Have 'toured' my whole life. By thumb (70's), car and bike. Now retired and taking advantage of it. Two years ago it was to California, last year Utah, this year it will be to the South West US again as I love it there (warm). I photo blogged both trips at http://www.travelpod.com/members/muggeragem if you want to check it out.

Have done several cross country trips by bike, thanks to my time in the military. Dipped the front wheel in the ocean in Nova Scotia and the rear wheel in the ocean at Nanaimo, albeit on different bikes. I've made a few long distance runs since leaving the Army, usually manage to squeeze one in every year - this year's jaunt will be over to Sask for a family reunion.

If you have two (or more) week's vacation time every year, you have the time to do a long trip.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

The usual excuses - time, money, responsibilities, etc...

I do dream (or plan ) to drive my bike home to Sask and Alberta one of these years.

I'm a 2nd year rider, so I want to practice up and do some shorter trips before the big one. Also, I ride a road trip-able bike (Bandit 600) but have a little gearing up to do first. I'm planning to road trip to Ottawa with the bike this year and also to ride to the Muskokas and do some Ontario day trips.

I'm the planning type, I just have to get my ducks in a row first.

I've done a 3dy trip before. All the way to Manitoulin island and around.

My east coast trip was in the works for 2yrs. It was limited by me being laid off. But this year its gonna happen, even if it takes me alone, lol.
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I've done a 3dy trip before. All the way to Manitoulin island and around.

My east coast trip was in the works for 2yrs. It was limited by me being laid off. But this year its gonna happen, even if it takes me alone, lol.
    I'm waiting to be laid off so i can tour. After all this years of me and my wife paying taxes and not getting any benefit from (got no kids to reap benefit), getting laid off will able me to collect unemployment
    I will kiss my boss head to toe if they laid me off but I will most likely quit before that happen.

To save mileage I have a bike purchased ready to be picked up this Saturday in California and I will be riding the bike back to the East Coast. I'm giving myself up to August to do this 10 days to 2 weeks trip. I'm still deciding on the routes I'm going to take. I got routes made from Los Angeles to Denver, from there I'm still deciding on either to see Mt Rushmore or New Orleans.Trip will end in Virginia Beach before going home to TO.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Where are you picking up your bike? If in the L.A. area, we should meet for a ride

Well now it is my turn to chime in. We had a board meeting last night and I let them know I am taking a week off in June. So time for another excursion.

This time I am taking PCH and coastal highways up to Oregon, and then returning via as many back mountain roads as I can find. It is interesting as I plan that there are some roads closer to the coast than the PCH and not well travelled. That is where I want to be.

My only issue is should I buy a GoPro or use a SPOT?

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    My only issue is should I buy a GoPro or use a SPOT?
    GoPro!

If you're worried about calling for help in a no cell phone reception area, most remote locations had cell phone reception as I found out...even when I was camping out in the middle of a desert. Although there were some spots where I could not pick up signal.

If the purpose of the SPOT is just to let people track you, I cant justify spending $120+150/yr for tracking.

The GoPro will let you capture moving images you'll be able to keep forever.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    Where are you picking up your bike? If in the L.A. area, we should meet for a ride
    Im picking it up in Glendale and will sure like to go for a ride, I plan 1 day to ride hyw 2 east of Glendale to familiarize myself with the new bike and also a shakedown prior to the long trip east
    You guys in Cali are lucky, you can afford to ride bigger SS bikes without paying insurance more than what the bike is worth. To add insult bikes here in Ontario are much more expensive compared to bikes down there.

Glendale is about 40 miles north of me. Let me know what day you are thinking and I will see if I can adjust my schedule to meet up with you.

I am leaving July 9 to go West. No firm plans to be anywhere at any time. I finally have the time ( 3 weeks Vacation, and 1 week Leave), and a wife who supports my need to travel. Everyone seems to be concerned that I am travelling alone, but not me. I am planning to ride some or all of Route 66 on the way out, but am open to suggestions for alternatives.

Deal with the Bike in Glendale went bad. The seller messed it up.
    I'm getting my bike now from New York City.
    Tommyboytp if schedule goes right, we can ride together.

time and money, I can't leave the dog over night never mind more, though this year i will be putting him in a kennel for my trip to saskatchewan
    x

Its not always that easy to have the time and money at the same time to make these extended trips. Like most people, I don't have unlimited time or unlimited funds, but 3 years ago an opportunity arose where I had six weeks between my old job and my new and vacation and severance pay to tide me over. It was June so it seemed like a perfect opportunity for my dream trip cross country to Alaska. What stopped me what a low side on a misty mountain road in Vermont (a little side trip - I know I was going the wrong way for Alaska), my bike was totalled and my right shoulder blade broken in three places. So instead of touring, I spend the six weeks rehabbing and by the time I was cleared to ride again and had a new bike, I was already starting a new job.

It was disappointing, but ****** happens and there you go. I didn't end up dead, crippled or a vegetable after sliding into a tree at about 40 mph - so there was a lot to be thankful for at the end of the day. However, in this job while I get 4 weeks vacation, I can only take 2 consecutive weeks at a time, which is somewhat limiting. My Alaska trip may have to wait until retirement, assuming I still have the health and stamina at that time, which I think is quite likely.

In the meantime, in two weeks I'm taking my two week vacation to Colorado/Utah/Arizona - travelling through the Rocky Mountains, down to the Grand Canyon and area - and making my way back via Route 66 (at least partly). Not as ambitious as Dawson City and Alaska, but still exciting - I can hardly wait!
    A true friend will let you sit on his Busa

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    time and money, I can't leave the dog over night never mind more, though this year i will be putting him in a kennel for my trip to saskatchewan
    I'm following Rotten Ronnie's example and training my mini schnauzer to ride inside my tank bag. He fits well sitting inside but need to make a bigger custom tankbag so he can curl up inside if he choose to.

Done local roads only. But he is getting good at it.

For bigger dog I think Grady Trains' trailer is the way to bring your dog.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    tell this guy

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    My Hector The Wonder Dog, were he still with us today, would take exception to that remark...

Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights