Cross Country roadtrips

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country roadtrips

Cross Country roadtrips

I am following Frankie's trip and notice the number of people who comment that they wish they had or could do a trip like his.

While I am supportive of his trip, and am following along is his type of trip that rare for folks on here? If so, what has stopped you from taking this type of trip?

Personally I have done 2 like he is doing now, plus a shorter one of only 1 week (in the past 3 years), and have another one planned for June.

I couldn't imagine owning a bike and not taking this type of road trips; that is why I ride.

What is your story?

Re: Cross Country roadtrips

Too many different climates, and I'm too old to take all the crap that the skies are throwing to us. I expect from my bike trips to be fun, riding in the snow it's not fun, neither is to ride for days in +45C temperatures. With that in mind, for my first cross country trip in 2009 I chose the car, and my memories from that trip are fantastic. Now, I prefer to spend more time exploring a restricted geographic area (1 or 2 US states), than to run from one coast to the other.
    If it's too loud you're too old.

Time, and money. It's as simple as that. Other priorities take precedent, the most I do is day trips, and the occasional 4 day to New Hampshire or the like.

House, work, etc.

I'm self employed, so vacation time just means I have no income...

I hope Frankie does alright down to cali. I'd do something similar, but having a riding buddy come along would make it much better, solo kinda sucks.

I always find an excuse to ride East instead of West, but one day I'll mix it up and head the other way.

Who is Frankie? Does he have a "SuperSport Touring" blog and into day four or five of the trip. on a CBR?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Time and Money. but mostly its time. Will head west before i get a far greater responsibility of raising a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Who is Frankie?
    Copied from his blog:

For those who don't personally know me, my name is Frankie. I'm studying Computer Science at a Canadian University slated to graduate...in 2 months! The boring part of introduction is done.

At the age of 14, I saw my neighbors fly by on their Yamaha R6's everyday and I thought...how cool would it be to ride one day? And here I am. Initially I got into it for the thrill but recently discovered a different side of riding. Touring. And so this blog exists to document my motorcycle adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Does he have a "SuperSport Touring" blog and into day four or five of the trip. on a CBR?
    http://supersporttouring.blogspot.com/

Real time GPS tracks: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...LvT4e2TyuQo1kq
    Flat black '08 DL650A

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    ... what has stopped you from taking this type of trip?
    3 kids (10, 7, 5), mortgage, not enough paid vacation.

Recently my wife agreed to a (family) road trip for 2012, planning has started.
    Flat black '08 DL650A

How are you taking the 3 kids on bikes? Double side cars?

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    How are you taking the 3 kids on bikes? Double side cars?
    I take the first born on my bike, my wife takes the other two in the van. Long Way Around style. She'll be my support group, camera crew and sleeping companion too.

I could not convince her about the joy and benefits of motorcycle riding so far.
    Flat black '08 DL650A

I've done it twice, once through the US to CA, and another time through Canada to Vancouver.

It's a great way to see the country (both of them), watching the landscape and climate change around you gradually.

I've done Toronto - Victoria Island, Toronto - Halifax (2x), Toronto - Utah, Toronto - TN (2x). I've done some of these trips solo and some with other riders.

This year I'm doing a week in WV and two weeks to Colorado and back.

It's why I own a motorcycle. There are easier ways to travel, but the real value in a trip like this is the road less traveled, and it's about the journey, not the destination. The things you see, the hardships you endure, the problems you solve, the people you meet, all contribute to the stories you can tell.

It takes time, and it takes money, and it takes a certain mindset, but IMHO there's nothing like it. And once it gets into your blood, well, I can't imagine NOT doing it.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    It takes time, and it takes money, and it takes a certain mindset, but IMHO there's nothing like it. And once it gets into your blood, well, I can't imagine NOT doing it.
    Absolutely...

I got lost in the cubicle forest for a few years, but made my way out with a TO - FL trip. This year I'm thinking of riding a 250 to NFLD....never been east...
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

I'm doing a 30-60 day trip just like Frankie starting June 1st, but taking a somewhat different path. First long distance ride for me. 30, single, no bills, fed up of the BS grind, especially in Toronto, and looking for adventures that make life worth living.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

I bought my first street bike last summer and my first big trip was to my cottage on my cbr125, ever since then I've been wanting to ride to BC to meet up with some friends who have moved out there. As soon as I get my new bike ready I'm going to go. I'm 29, don't have anything to keep me in the gta either, and can't wait to get out of the office for a bit. However leaving work is my main problem, how do I take a month off work without seriously inconveniencing things at work for everyone-i work for a smaller company. How do I ask for that much time off or should I just give my two weeks notice tomorrow.

Lol. So the simple answer was yes. I love the pictures he posted from day 5.

I've been itching to just load up the bike and go somewhere, but it'll have to wait for the long weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. View Post
    Copied from his blog:

For those who don't personally know me, my name is Frankie. I'm studying Computer Science at a Canadian University slated to graduate...in 2 months! The boring part of introduction is done.

At the age of 14, I saw my neighbors fly by on their Yamaha R6's everyday and I thought...how cool would it be to ride one day? And here I am. Initially I got into it for the thrill but recently discovered a different side of riding. Touring. And so this blog exists to document my motorcycle adventures.

http://supersporttouring.blogspot.com/

Real time GPS tracks: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...LvT4e2TyuQo1kq

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by carl240 View Post
    I bought my first street bike last summer and my first big trip was to my cottage on my cbr125, ever since then I've been wanting to ride to BC to meet up with some friends who have moved out there. As soon as I get my new bike ready I'm going to go. I'm 29, don't have anything to keep me in the gta either, and can't wait to get out of the office for a bit. However leaving work is my main problem, how do I take a month off work without seriously inconveniencing things at work for everyone-i work for a smaller company. How do I ask for that much time off or should I just give my two weeks notice tomorrow.
    Never let someone else control your life. This is the path to getting stuck inside the box. Getting out is nearly impossible. I'm but one year older than you are and have learned the hard way just how insanely short life is. Do it before you die regretting not doing it.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    ...Do it before you die regretting not doing it.
    +1 Take a leave of absence, let them bring in a temp or a summer student.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

I do week-long rides in Appalachia every yr a couple of times....but I would love to ride more of the continent.
    HAving young kids, and being self employed makes the idea of a month long ride nothing but a far off dream.

I have been toying witht he idea of attending the Laguna Seca MotoGP, and riding there and back. I don't know if that can be done in 2.5 weeks or not, but it sure would be awesome.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

When I was younger, I had the time for road trips but couldn't afford a bike. Now I have a couple bikes and a little money, but no friggin' time.

I decided a couple years ago to just take a week a year to do my own thing, so, I drop the kids off with my parents for a week and get 'er done. Washington DC two years ago, Skyline + BRP last year, a full week based in Deal's Gap this year, Yellowstone next year.

While it's nice to zip around on day trips, the true nature of what a bike can do for your soul is revealed on a multi-day trip. There is nothing like leaving on a solo trip but never feeling alone because of the camaraderie you find amongst other riders on the road.

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

There is little as satisfying as a long trip on a bike!

I think time is a big issue for most people, but that really comes down to priorities. If it is somethign you want to do badluy enough you will find a way to do it.

The other factor I suspect for most is gear. I have found the combination of gear that works for me in almost any temperature range, from -16c (short hour-long commutes) to +38c. I ride in almost any condition except for snow on the roads so the range of temperature is just a matter of adding or removing layers under my Goretex riding suit or opening or closing vents.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report