Cross Country roadtrips - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cross Country roadtrips

Re: Cross Country roadtrips

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    My Hector The Wonder Dog, were he still with us today, would take exception to that remark...

yup, hack is the best way I think, thinking of building one from the R45 for this guy...

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Quote Originally Posted by stevie t View Post
    yup, hack is the best way I think, thinking of building one from the R45 for this guy...

Yep, that there is a genuine hack dog.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Hey rotten Ronnie, I just got my XR650R and I haven't had any chance to ride it yet, I see that you are just a few minutes from where I live, may be we can get together and go for a ride after this weather start getting better, I work on Richmond Hill, please if you are interested let me know, for me it's better e mail, read them quicker.
    IBM

My lady ready for a ride
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    I'm following Rotten Ronnie's example and training my mini schnauzer to ride inside my tank bag. He fits well sitting inside but need to make a bigger custom tankbag so he can curl up inside if he choose to.

Done local roads only. But he is getting good at it.

For bigger dog I think Grady Trains' trailer is the way to bring your dog.
    not sure my vfr can pull a trailer with the ssa... shepherd is too large and ungainly to ride first squirrel he spots and he would go nuts...
    x

riding for a couple years, these long trips seem like an awesome idea, and I have enought time under my belt where I would consider, but with house, kids, wife and other responmsibilities takign a ride for a week or more just isn't feasible. Maybe when our kids are all grown. We did Ontario to Saskatoon in the car a few years back, it was an adventure. My wife and I shared driving. Left ~ 7pm friday night in saskatoon by ~2am (local time) Sunday moring ~ 32 hours striaght there occasional stop for gas, strecthing, eating and relief.

We were time limited for travel

...I have a bike purchased ready to be picked up this Saturday in California and I will be riding the bike back to the East Coast.
    How does plating and insurance work to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki2000 View Post
    How does plating and insurance work to do this?
    Did not picked up in Cali but got the same bike in NYC. If you have a cousin or friend that will trust you enough. Register it to him and as long as you dont live with them in the same house his/her insurance will cover you. You need a notarized letter from your cousin giving you permission to use his/her bike with the registration and insurance slip. I called insurance to cover me for his bike but they say its just paying more for nothing. Pls.do your research into this and don't take my word on it. (To register the bike in his/her name he/she should have a valid MC liscence)

I learned the hard way that I as a canadian cannot ride a US plated bike into Canada. I was stucjk in the border last weekend....but now I got a bike I can use in the US but no trip to Vancouver or calgary

I learned the hard way that I as a canadian cannot ride a US plated bike into Canada. I was stucjk in the border last weekend....but now I got a bike I can use in the US but no trip to Vancouver or calgary
    I rode my South Carolina plated V-strom into Canada, crossed at the Rainbow Bridge. Absolutely no hassle at all. They didn't even ask if I had a US or Canadian DL, just scanned my passport and waved me through. Must be my honest looks or my connection to Jesus

Is Jesus a MP, Custom Officer or a general?I think it was the extra seat, strapped on the back of the bike or my beard that gave me the hassle.
    BTW Hassle cost me a hotel, loss time at work and storage fee - but the ride from NYC from 12 pm to Buffalo at 6pm was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    I rode my South Carolina plated V-strom into Canada, crossed at the Rainbow Bridge. Absolutely no hassle at all. They didn't even ask if I had a US or Canadian DL, just scanned my passport and waved me through. Must be my honest looks or my connection to Jesus
    We will be in LA, aiming for the weekend of July 9th.

So me and Vlad are now in La Crosse WI, camping on a friend's lawn/farm on the way to LA.
    Left Toronto Friday afternoon, camped in Leeper, Michigan. Got through Chicago traffic in 40 C.

Folow the trip at farmotion.com
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

I would really like to do a long cross country trip. I'd like to do it in the car first though. My primary issues are time, maybe a little bit money, and finding someone to go with me. I also will sometimes start to fall asleep if I'm in a car for over 4 hrs-ish which can be a problem on long trips if the other person can't drive for whatever reason. Once I tackle it in the car, I'll try the bike.

I don't even have time to get around to all the repairs and maintenance I need to do on the bike and cars on a regular basis so I'm not sure when I'll find time for a long trip like this (which would require all repairs and maintenance to already be done). And I don't even have much of a social life... not sure how some people get all the stuff done and have very active social lives. I could just pay someone to do it but I hate paying people to do things I can do myself. Plus it adds some kind of "connection" to the vehicle when you have invested your own time and knowledge into it as opposed to just throwing money at it. Having a proper garage would help...
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Once I tackle it in the car, I'll try the bike.
    I find it very difficult to focus after driving a car for 3-4 hours compared to being on a bike. During my trip, I rode 12 hours on some days and there was more physical fatigue than mental. The only time I felt like I was going to fall asleep on my bike was going through the Nevada desert but that was as a result of not getting enough sleep the night before.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    I find it very difficult to focus after driving a car for 3-4 hours compared to being on a bike. During my trip, I rode 12 hours on some days and there was more physical fatigue than mental. The only time I felt like I was going to fall asleep on my bike was going through the Nevada desert but that was as a result of not getting enough sleep the night before.
    Hmm good to know. Although I have had my eyes close (basically almost fell asleep) on the bike before and it wasn't even a long ride. Scary ******.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.