107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finger in the air at head level rotating

11 10.28%
  • Left hand pat on top of helmet

95 88.79%
  • Other (explain)

1 0.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Official" cop ahead hand signal?

"Official" cop ahead hand signal?

Had a cop today try to sneakily come up behind me (he was parked, waited for me to go by and I watched him pull out to follow about a km after I had passed).
    Encountered a few bikes coming the opposite way, so to warn them, I did the finger at head level and make "siren" circles... Kind of like having an invisible lasso in my hand.
    Pretty sure 2 sport bike guys got it, I know 2 tourers didn't understand as they gave me a "queen wave" back.
    What is the more common one people will recognize? Should I have done the "pat on the head" method?

I know it's been discussed before but there was no set way...
    I'll just set up a poll!

Re: "Official" cop ahead hand signal?

Tap the top of your helmet.
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Current
    2000 Suzuki SV650S - Sold

Gear: Icon Lucky Lid helmet, Icon Accelerant white leather jacket, Icon Super Duty black gloves.

Both methods most riders would understand, I pat the head most of the time, but have also done the lasso type thing.
    I'm not sure, But I think I've read that you can get into trouble to tell other people there is a cop on the road behind you. Could be wrong on this
    My Ride: 2009 Ninja 250R SE

stand up on the pegs and blow kiss's ...

"What do you mean stunting officer..is was just being affectionate"
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Pat the lid.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

The standard signal is to pat your helmet. If you waved your finger around in the air id probably just think you were really excited about something...

Lol ok I guess I'll go back and stick to the pat on the head.
    And as far as I know it there is no rule against warning others...

you were warning them about possible dangerous roads ahead...slow down..

I recall reading a few months ago that a cop nailed a guy for flashing his highbeams to warn someone about a speed trap ahead. I don't think it held up in court, but it's still a pain in the *** to deal with. I'll post a link if I can find the article

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    I recall reading a few months ago that a cop nailed a guy for flashing his highbeams to warn someone about a speed trap ahead. I don't think it held up in court, but it's still a pain in the *** to deal with. I'll post a link if I can find the article
    This isn't the article I read, but the legality section gives some insight Into the different laws through North America. In Ontario it seems that it is open to interpretation, so they could nail you if they really felt like it. This seems to pertain only to flashing highbeams, not the helmet tap.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing

This isn't the article I read, but the legality section gives some insight Into the different laws through North America. In Ontario it seems that it is open to interpretation, so they could nail you if they really felt like it. This seems to pertain only to flashing highbeams, not the helmet tap.

Hey, have a look at Australia:

Australia
    Headlight flashing to warn drivers of traffic enforcement cameras is illegal in the Australian State of Queensland, carrying a $30 fine and one demerit point, or a $1500 fine if the fine is unsuccessfully challenged in court.[48] Officers may either fine a driver for improper use of headlights, or may even arrest and prosecute for hindering police.
    What in the hell. A $30 fine, but if you challenge it in court and lose they multiply it by 50? Looks like crazy punishments aren't just an Ontario thing.

Yeah the issue there isnt with warning people cops are ahead (well, really it is) but theyre actually getting you for improper use of headlights. Its the same ticket you would get if you drove towards or behind a cop with your highbeams on, they just found a way to use it against people who are trying to help other drivers.

pat your helmet

Banned

If I recall correctly they dismissed the charge because the person(s) charged or their paralegal successfully argued that charging them for "flashing head beams" or "failure to lower high-beams" wasn't an application of the law in the spirit or intent of the HTA. There are a couple of articles here:

http://www.thepassinglane.ca/2010/05...igh-beams.html

http://www.wheels.ca/article/167046

Cops who inappropriately charge people with this supposed infraction are either acting out of retribution or ignorance (or both). If you're a cop who's aiming to write X tickets that day and someone's tipping other motorists off it will be harder for you to hit your target number of tickets. In addition, if they missed that day in traffic school they might not be generally cognizant of the fact that particular law is intended to provide legal recourse for anyone looking to make it so their vehicle's headlights mimic that of a "...public utility emergency vehicle while responding to an emergency..." http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK252

If I got one of these tickets I'd fight it without hesitation. Also worth noting, some of the police forces have gone on record as saying that they don't mind motorists warning each other because if it makes people slow down it is accomplishing something.

Btw, I use the helmet tapping method as it appears to be the most common.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 05-01-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Tap the lid for sure, even though I appreciated some cruiser rider's circular hand motion warning just as I was coming up to the good part of Mississauga Rd.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I tap my head.

If the oncoming riders are too stupid to figure it out, then they will learn real quick.

Warning others of a cop can't be that big an issue in Ontario considering just a month ago or so, Adri stood out by a corner and did that very thing until the cop got ****** off and left!

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx13 View Post
    Warning others of a cop can't be that big an issue in Ontario considering just a month ago or so, Adri stood out by a corner and did that very thing until the cop got ****** off and left!
    lmao YES Adri is the bomb!!!
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

I've always preferred the fist on top of the helmet, kind like a siren =D Tapping on the head, for me at least, is interpreted as "follow me".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

Tap on head.

Last week I was on Steeles and Warden area. On the opposite side I see a speed trap, so as I ride along I see another bike on that side. I tap my head to the rider and it almost seemed like he didn't know what I was doing, maybe he even thought i was doing some kind of mating dance because he started to repeatedly tap on his head too haha
    2006 Suzuki GS500F