Follow Along: 600rr to California - Page 26

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Follow Along: 600rr to California

Re: Follow Along: 600rr to California

Wheelieboy. I haven't read the whole thread. You are so blessed to have had such an opportunity; so adventurous. I believe many of us lived vicariously through you. "Youth is wasted on the young" certainly doesn't seem to apply to you Thanks for sharing!
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Love the pic!!!
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

I am surprised you did not consider a tank bag, would have been better than a backpack
    Resident Loudmouth

@ Wheelieboy : loved your epic trip. I really loved these two videos California Canyon Riding: Latigo and your Apache Trail videos. Both of these videos demonstrate your riding skills. How long have you been riding?

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    Wheelieboy. I haven't read the whole thread. You are so blessed to have had such an opportunity; so adventurous. I believe many of us lived vicariously through you. "Youth is wasted on the young" certainly doesn't seem to apply to you Thanks for sharing!
    I figured that I might as well do something like this while I'm young and have no commitments. To be honest, I had second thoughts days before my trip. I was pretty nervous since I've never done anything like this before and I was venturing into the unknown. But it was definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Love the pic!!!
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I am surprised you did not consider a tank bag, would have been better than a backpack
    I thought about buying a tank bag but the issue was $$. The cost breakdown was for the trip only. I spent a lot of money before and after the trip on maintenance, wear and tear items, damages, camera equipment, equipment/tools to bring on my trip, heated gear etc. If you account for everything I spent which were related to the trip, the total is about $5000.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedagogue View Post
    @ Wheelieboy : loved your epic trip. I really loved these two videos California Canyon Riding: Latigo and your Apache Trail videos. Both of these videos demonstrate your riding skills. How long have you been riding?
    Glad you enjoyed following along. I've been riding for about 4 years. I used to race pocketbikes which helped me a lot with confidence through the curves. I'd also have to give a lot of credit to the cbr125 I owned for 2 years before getting my 600. I rode that thing for two years, tried to figure out its limits and I was still learning something new everyday. I laugh when people tell me they're bored of their low-cc bike after 2 months, they're just not riding it properly.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post

I thought about buying a tank bag but the issue was $$. The cost breakdown was for the trip only. I spent a lot of money before and after the trip on maintenance, wear and tear items, damages, camera equipment, equipment/tools to bring on my trip, heated gear etc. If you account for everything I spent which were related to the trip, the total is about $5000.
    Did u consider sport touring tires?
    Resident Loudmouth

Did u consider sport touring tires?
    I have Pilot Road 3's on them right now.

I did consider it before my trip but I already had brand new Pures mounted. I though they would last 10 000kms but I was wrong. I got a flat anyways so I was forced to get new tires. It probably would have been more painful watching my 50% consumed tire get a nail in it than a 90% consumed tire.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Hey Wheelieboy! congrats on that Awesome trip, I did it once an 1100 miles trip in 15 hours from Laguna Beach, CA to Portland Oregon on my Ninja 600, but next trip I will stop and rest and enjoy the trip like you did. PM I work in richmond hill but live in Maple may be we get together and go for a ride on a weekend.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by bikerman View Post
    Hey Wheelieboy! congrats on that Awesome trip, I did it once an 1100 miles trip in 15 hours from Laguna Beach, CA to Portland Oregon on my Ninja 600, but next trip I will stop and rest and enjoy the trip like you did. PM I work in richmond hill but live in Maple may be we get together and go for a ride on a weekend.

Ivan
    Sounds good. My bike is still partially out of commission until next week or so. My sprocket only has 1000kms left so only local rides for me. I was pretty lazy putting the bike back together since I wasnt in a hurry to get back on. I havent ridden since the trip really. But at least the bike looks ride-able now

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Sounds good. My bike is still partially out of commission until next week or so. My sprocket only has 1000kms left so only local rides for me. I was pretty lazy putting the bike back together since I wasnt in a hurry to get back on. I havent ridden since the trip really. But at least the bike looks ride-able now
    Do u have 2 bikes? Or u swap fairings and tank?
    Resident Loudmouth

Do u have 2 bikes? Or u swap fairings and tank?
    Yes and Yes

I have 2 bikes, but only 1 CBR600. If you're wondering about the fairings, the red/orange ones were my spare aftermarket set of fairings, the black are OEM. For the gas tank, its only a fairing so I just swapped the fairing.
    Last edited by Wheelieboy; 06-26-2011 at 12:06 AM.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Quote Originally Posted by bikerman View Post

Ivan

What a small world we're living in. I also work in Richmond Hill and live in Maple. It would be great to join you guys for a ride. Speaking of riding, I'm off to Deals Gap next week Wheelie, your bike starting to looks better again.

I finally started to get off my lazy bum and sort through the videos that I took.

This was one of the scariest (but most scenic) ride of my life! Hang on tight.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Yikes. I would probably avoid that road even without the giant cliff down one side. What tires were you running and how did the bike feel on that kind of surface? How fast would you say you were going?
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Yikes. I would probably avoid that road even without the giant cliff down one side. What tires were you running and how did the bike feel on that kind of surface? How fast would you say you were going?
    I went to that road on purpose I knew what I was getting myself into and I'd do it again if I had the chance...maybe on a dual sport this time lol

I was running the Michelin Power Pures but I dont think it would have mattered what tire I was running unless I had knobbies. Going up the hill, I probably hit a max of 50km/h. Straight line wasnt a problem, but washboard in turns was a little difficult. Deep sand in a turn is even more difficult, you bascially have your forward momentum and thats it. You're still going straight if you turn your wheel. Accelerating up washboard was a bit interesting, just a whole bunch of wheel hop.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Mount Washington was similar but not so narrow and no sand like that! Love the landscape - it's so different than what we're used to here in Ontario
    eat - sleep - work - RIDE ...

www.owenseyepiece.blogspot.com

Sweet trip. So very jealous.

Doing something like this is definitely on my bucket list before settling down and having kids.

The pic's and vid's look amazing. Great write up.

Thanks for having us along.

-- Bob
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

StoPed in sudbury right now. Its freezing with the rain coming down hard. Hope to cover some good ground today
    My hometown!! And yep, we definitely do have freezing rain lol. Can't wait to read through the rest of this thread!
    black kawi ninja 250r
    -----
    http://www.c25k.ca

Very IMPRESSIVE!!! Kudos to you...

On my way to Mullholland, I did some exploring and found Tuna Canyon Road. Its a 1 way downhill road down the mountain full of twists and turns. Although there was no traffic, I still had to take it quite slow as there were random rocks, sand, and sharp curves with no guardrails.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR