Re: Follow Along: 600rr to California

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    Apache Trail, Arizona Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCcOXNbMPLE

Apache Trail, Arizona Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT5MlLcAnWM

More to come...
    AWESOME video's

I now have the itch to do a 2012 epic adventure thanks to you! Cheers and ride safe.
    Last edited by bww77; 05-07-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Day 6: I've had the ride of my life

I woke up today looking forward to riding the million dollar highway (hwy 550) in Colorado. This road was featured on SpeedTV's "Dangerous Drives", they were talking about how truckers had to endure treacherous conditions including snow and ice to get across this mountain pass which runs from Montrose to Durango Colorado.

When I went through the Million Dollar Highway, there was snow and ice, but nothing stayed on the ground. The switchbacks, sweepers, and all the turns made this an awesome riding experience with breathtaking scenery everywhere you look.

As I was rounding a bend on Highway 50, I noticed a young man, about the same age as me with a little scooter. It wasnt just any ordinary scooter rider, he had a bag of luggage on his scooter. 50cc Honda Ruckus I believe. It made me curious as to what he was doing and where he was going so I stopped to find out. He told me that he had a couple of weeks off work and wanted to get on his scooter and cruise. Where to? California. But he was going North and then making his way West to San Fransisco and eventually to LA.

My goal of the day was to make it to Monument Valley to camp out in the Valley of the Gods. I've only seen pictures of Monument Valley and I knew it was going to be a sight to see.

On the way there, I saw a sign that said Four Corners Monument. Being ahead of schedule, I figured that there was enough time to stop by. I was expecting a big monument of the Four Corners but when I got there, I was a little disappointed. All I saw was a carve out of the 4 states on the ground.

My bike also decided to take a nap.

Eventually, I made it to Monument Valley.

Set up my tent.

And enjoyed the sunset.

Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Day 7: Its goin' down

Camping in Monument Valley was an amazing experience. Well, most of it. Watching the sunset, seeing the stars, watching the sunrise was something I've never experienced before. To be honest, this whole camping experience was new to me. I've never camped by myself so I was hoping I could figure out how to put up the tent. I woke up several times because it was really cold at night. It must have been about 5 degrees and I was freezing. I stayed in my sleeping bag until the sun came up and it warmed up.

I camped out in the Valley of the Gods which is a dirt road that runs between the big rock monuments. Filled with washboards, elevation changes, switchbacks, large rocks. It was quite challenging for a sportbike but it was done.

Next stop was the Grand Canyon. Although I knew it would be a sight to see, I was expecting a little more. The first few lookout points, I stopped and take pictures but after the first lookout point, every following one was about the same.

I was supposed to meet a fellow advrider down in Prescott Arizona so that was my next destination. I made sure to take highway 89A which is a scenic twisty canyon ride. Boy was that fun but as I descended lower into the mountains, it got a lot hotter. It came to the point where I wanted to take off my sweater. A pullout point was ahead and I took that opportunity. Unfortunately, I didnt notice that the pavement was about 6 inches higher than the gravel until it was too late. The result:

I was okay but was more about the damage that could potentially end my trip early. Luckily, my frame sliders and the jerry can hanging off the side of my bike took the impact and my bike was unscathed for the most part.

Eventually I made it to a town called Jerome where I met up with winterhk from advrider. We gave our introductions and talked about my trip while waiting for other advriders outside of the Haunted Hamburger. There had been 2 girls from inside the restaurant who had been watching us. As soon as we noticed, one of them walked up to us and gave us her number. Her name was Nikki and she was a cutie. Unfortunately, I was leaving the state the next day so I didnt take the opportunity to return her call. Maybe I should drop a line, just to make things interesting. What do you say?

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Day 8: A love story

I started out my day in Prescott where I stayed at Clark and James' place. Destination was the Apache Trail out in the desert. I've only seen the Apache Trail on video and the scenery looked awesome. The Apache Trail is a gravel road starting from the Rosevelt Dam and goes for about 22 miles.

On the way to the Apache Trail I stopped by a restaurant and bar to eat lunch and hydrate myself before I head deeper into the desert. This is where I met Rico, a musician who rode a Harley. He soon found out that I came from Toronto and talked about where I was riding to. He mentioned that this was a long trip and one of the questions he asked me was "What if you fall in love?" I wasnt too sure how to take it, its not the first time love was mentioned on my trip. Out in South Dakota, I stopped at a gas station and talked to a gas station attendant who was trying to figure out why in the world I would ride so far. One of the things she asked me was "Are you going there to see a girl?" If I was, I'd admit, it would be a good story. Something that you'd see in movies. Maybe its an American cliche to travel the country to find that one love. I'm sure its happened before, but not as common today with the internet and plane travel. Who knows, maybe I will live out that story. Unlikely though, this adventure is not about finding love, its about enhancing my love for riding. Enough with the love talk, lets get back to my ride.

I made it to the Rosevelt Dam where the Apache Trail started. I knew that there would be 22 miles of gravel road and that the scenery would be amazing but I was quite caught off guard when the whole 22 miles were pretty much washboard. I've never ridden such a bumpy road in my life. By the time I got there, it was about 40 degrees celcius and riding in full gear was not an option. I usually ride all the gear all the time but I made an exception. When you're going a maximum of 50km/h in 40 degree desert temperatures, you have to make a decision of whether you want to risk scrapes and bruises, or heat stroke.

Going through the trail, I got many thumbs up and head nods. I guess they dont expect to see a sportbike go through. Going through the midway point of the trail, I did have a scary moment. It wasnt motorcycle related, I rode through a swarm of wasps only wearing a t shirt. I tucked in behind my windscreen and rode a little faster. Getting a wasp in my tshirt or helmet would be very bad. Near Fish Creek Hill which is the most dangerous but most scenic part of the trail, I got a wave from a group of travellers in a van who stopped to take pictures. I was ready to take a break so I stopped to take pictures and chat. It turns out that one of them used to ride a V-Storm and was pretty happy to see a rider on the Apache Trail. They were an interesting group and before we left, I gave them my blog address and email. If you guys see this, post a comment!

The fun was over and I was to make it to the Los Angles area by the end of the night. This ride was the most difficult ride I've ever had to do. 40 degree temperatures and 600 kms through the desert was not fun at all. I had one of my pant legs pulled up and the wind on my skin felt like I was in a convection oven. I just wanted to get the hell out of there and 100mph sounded like a good option since I did not see a cop in the desert the whole day...at least in the Arizona desert. I eventually made it to revrandy's house at 11:30pm California time (2:30am Toronto time) and I just hit the sack as I got there. I made it to California!

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Nice report, great pics and keep up the safe ride!
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Ride safe bud. Take it easy on those roads, lol. I think u are dropping it a few too many

Still looking forward to updates

ps. call that girl, waste not, want not. Especially if she's hot
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Ride safe bud. Take it easy on those roads, lol. I think u are dropping it a few too many
    But well-planned - always dropping it on the left

Be safe, have fun.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Fixed the MIL light. Was something stupid...The MAP hose was not plugged in, I just shoved it in some random place last night because I didnt have any light. Anyways, gonna pack up and leave. I'll update tonight!

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

I just shoved it in some random place last night because I didnt have any light.!
    It has happened to all of us buddy ...to all of us...
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Awesome you went to Jerome!!! Love that town How did you like the twisties??? I hope you got vid of that
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

[B]
    I eventually made it to revrandy's house at 11:30pm California time (2:30am Toronto time) and I just hit the sack as I got there. I made it to California!
    You just gave away Rev's location in Cali.
    If it's too loud you're too old.

Quote Originally Posted by tiborgh View Post
    How so? Its under his profile pic lol

I hope Wheelieboy found the gas station on the way out of our place. I gave him directions but he turned the wrong way out of our neighborhood! Have a great trip!!!

right now he's heading north on the Pacific Coast Highway past Malibu

Quote Originally Posted by tiborgh View Post
    I don't care if people know where I live. Of course if you come be prepared to be preached at and have religion shoved down your throat. In the time wheelieboy was here, he was baptised and accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Saviour. Best part about that is he signed away a minimum 10% of his future salary to my church.

My oh my. Best twisties ever!! Chicken strips totally gone on both sides and scraped the pegs for the first time on my 600rr.

I'm afraid you guys are going to be too jealous if I post up the videos.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

My oh my. Best twisties ever!! Chicken strips totally gone on both sides and scraped the pegs for the first time on my 600rr.

I'm afraid you guys are going to be too jealous if I post up the videos.
    Love it!!! You better post it!!!
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Can you call nikki please...this trip needs a good sex romp.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    I don't care if people know where I live. Of course if you come be prepared to be preached at and have religion shoved down your throat. In the time wheelieboy was here, he was baptised and accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Saviour. Best part about that is he signed away a minimum 10% of his future salary to my church.

pretty good day's work for you.
    New to me for 2012.

You guys are going to have to wait for the videos...The internet here is too crappy, I keep getting disconnected every 5 minutes

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR