Low Slide new 650 ninja :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Slide new 650 ninja :(

Low Slide new 650 ninja :(

Hey guys was wondering whats the best way to warm up or wear in new tires?
    Just low slide my new 650 ninja with less than 100 km on it
    Took a turn at 30 km and the tire slip and i crash the right side fender and mirror FML!!

Re: Low Slide new 650 ninja :(

Hope your ok. Is your bike blue by chance?
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Hope your ok. Is your bike blue by chance?
    haha no green yeah im perfectly fine but a super sore shoulder
    good thing i was all gear up

this will be strange if its true. were you parked at a mcdonald's today? somewhere around bayview and eglinton?

but that sucks man. there's a bunch of youtube videos (and forum threads i'm sure) on making sure your tire pressure accounts for any added weight and temperature. too much air and you lose contact surface, too little air and the bike doesn't respond correctly. always carry around a temperature gauge (mine fell out of the storage space under the seat while riding so lol...and i'd only used it once).

glad you're alright.

Quote Originally Posted by hc7 View Post
    this will be strange if its true. were you parked at a mcdonald's today? somewhere around bayview and eglinton?

but that sucks man. there's a bunch of youtube videos (and forum threads i'm sure) on making sure your tire pressure accounts for any added weight and temperature. too much air and you lose contact surface, too little air and the bike doesn't respond correctly. always carry around a temperature gauge (mine fell out of the storage space under the seat while riding so lol...and i'd only used it once).

glad you're alright.
    haha hmm no i wasnt but i seen another 650 ninja green around the area. but it wasnt me sorry

yeah i think i lean too much on the new tires plus prob cold as well and it lost traction but im only guessing..
    I think i did everything right when i took that turn ... jump the gun thinking it should be ok take this turn somewhat aggressive but i always did it with my 250 and never had a problem

tires pressure looks about right had to bring it to supercycle world FML lmao
    but most important that im fine with a sore shoulder

Unlucky! Glad to hear your ok at least. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by vszutu1 View Post
    Hey guys was wondering whats the best way to warm up or wear in new tires?
    Just low slide my new 650 ninja with less than 100 km on it
    Took a turn at 30 km and the tire slip and i crash the right side fender and mirror FML!!
    Your first problem was that the asphalt has not been warm enough to get any heat in your tires. When it's this chilly, you can't "do" anything to warm them up to any great degree. New tires + cold asphalt = All you can do in that situation is take it easy. Sorry about your lowside. That sucks.

There's no general guideline for scrubbing in tires but most manufacturers advise being extra careful for the first 100-200km. So no hard acceleration, braking or cornering. Gradually lean more and more, don't try to scrape pegs right away.

Temperature wise, it should be enough to ride it for 5 minutes or so for enough heat to build up to do some serious twisties but as the poster above mentioned, climate makes a difference, too. Could be that you even hit a slippery spot, plenty of those after winter.

Nevertheless, in your case, 30km/h is not exactly hard cornering and little lean would be required (depending on the angle of the turn of course) so I guess practicing leaning would be good for you as well.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Unrelated but just fix what you need to start riding again and worry about the cosmetics when you decide to sell!
    Current:
    2001 EX500

Previous:
    2007 CBR125R (1 season)

Sorry to hear that man.. GWS
    2010 GSXR600

Sorry to hear, buddy. Glad you're OK.

I have a brand new 400R with 90 or so KM on it and also almost slipped over today. The cool asphalt is not speeding things up at all, I think with a few more KM's we should be OK on the tires...

Quote Originally Posted by hc7 View Post

glad you're alright.
    Creepy, I live around there. lol
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Creepy, I live around there. lol
    hahaha i ride around there often!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    Your first problem was that the asphalt has not been warm enough to get any heat in your tires. When it's this chilly, you can't "do" anything to warm them up to any great degree. New tires + cold asphalt = All you can do in that situation is take it easy. Sorry about your lowside. That sucks.
    yeah thanks stupid weather ! now i know what people mean about breaking in new bikes its a pain! keeping it under 4000 rpms and new tires

hahaha i ride around there often!
    lol small world on this GTAM...
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

yeah thanks stupid weather ! now i know what people mean about breaking in new bikes its a pain! keeping it under 4000 rpms and new tires
    I've been real careful with that too. Bought the bike in November and rode it for two weeks before storing it. Been on three rides this year and totally taken it easy on all of my turns.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    There's no general guideline for scrubbing in tires but most manufacturers advise being extra careful for the first 100-200km. So no hard acceleration, braking or cornering. Gradually lean more and more, don't try to scrape pegs right away.

Temperature wise, it should be enough to ride it for 5 minutes or so for enough heat to build up to do some serious twisties but as the poster above mentioned, climate makes a difference, too. Could be that you even hit a slippery spot, plenty of those after winter.

Nevertheless, in your case, 30km/h is not exactly hard cornering and little lean would be required (depending on the angle of the turn of course) so I guess practicing leaning would be good for you as well.
    Yeah i quickly went over the manuel and it said the first 500 kms! i was like omg!
    First time jumping on the bike and riding it made a left off my street and it slide a bit and i was up right pretty much the whole way thats with 6 kms on the bike.

yeah i had a feeling that making a right doing a normal turn with a leaning on the bike should of been alright on the bike but i guess it wasnt the case. you do have a point about climate makes a difference as well could of been a slippery spot on the road. But 30 km on a turn shouldnt been that bad in my head. when i was going for the turn.

all i remember was down gearing and braking before the turn and counter steering in to the turn and looking where i wanted to go and all of a sudden the bike slide mid way - exiting through the turn and me sliding on the floor and watching my bike slide down the road.

i guess ill take the corners easy until its a lot warmer like 20 something where the tires are hot

Quote Originally Posted by LeetViet View Post
    Unrelated but just fix what you need to start riding again and worry about the cosmetics when you decide to sell!
    hahah yeah i was thinking about it but i was gonna show my parents that i got a new bike but now i dont want them to know that i lowslide it

so better to fix it and tell them i got a bike LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by ReactionRED View Post
    Sorry to hear, buddy. Glad you're OK.

I have a brand new 400R with 90 or so KM on it and also almost slipped over today. The cool asphalt is not speeding things up at all, I think with a few more KM's we should be OK on the tires...
    really dam! well all i got to say is take it easy with new tires!
    400R!!! i was considering that 400 or 650 but jumping 250 to a 400 isnt that much of a power difference consider the price bang for your dollar lol
    but now i miss my 250 lmao

It should be pointed out, that even if you take it easy at first, the outside edges will still be slick the first few times you lean the bike over. If you lean aggressively right out of the gate, you have nowhere to go when the whole tire is slick as snot.

You need to put your tires though a good heat cycle (ie. scrubbing) to help remove the chemicals that are stuck to the outside of the tire from manufacturing. Friction from the road is what heats up the tire and helps wick the chemicals out. There are a few different ways to do it, but most use this method. As a previous OP mentioned, just remember to go easy on them for the first few hundred kms.

Once you've broken in the center of the tire and have good grip, you can start leaning her over more and more to scrub the sides... and eventually you'll get rid of those chicken strips!

Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. Good luck and ride safe.