Rain x on a helmet???

Thread: Rain x on a helmet???

Rain x on a helmet???

I bought a bottle of RAIN X for my trip (most likely rain) but now the bottle says no to use it on plastic!
    Anyone using RAIN X on their helmet visor???
    VTX 1800R

Re: Rain x on a helmet???

Works great on my Scorpion and Shoei
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

never tried but i'd probably use a wax suited for plastic. like nufinish. I use that ish on everything
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

It wrecked the lens and coating on my Shark helmet. Now there's more fog and the water doesn't clear off the screen... luckily I found a replacement lens.

There are motorcycle-specific sprays that you might have better results with?

There is a product that I read about online. It's called "cat crap." Funny name, but it works amazing.

Lolz, saw this at dollarama the other day and was gna use it as a defogger. It had some warnings on it so I stayed away. Don't think this would be good for plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    It wrecked the lens and coating on my Shark helmet. Now there's more fog and the water doesn't clear off the screen... luckily I found a replacement lens.

There are motorcycle-specific sprays that you might have better results with?
    Did you put it on the inside?
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Just the outside lens.

I guess that fogging is due to ventilation inside the helmet, but it actually made the visibility and water beading off the lens worse, and the lens is less transluscent now.

The issues were from last season. I still have the screen that I rain-x'd and I should have a closer look. Bottom line is, it worked poorly enough that I went out and bought a replacement screen.

Each brand of helmet maker probably has their own special mix of scratch coating, UV filter coating and maybe even a surface tension coating (to make water bead off) for their lenses. Maybe Rain-X works well with some of these but poorly with others? It might be more aggressive since it's intended for use with glass.

I use rain X on the outside and the rain X anti fog on the inside. This works great on my clear visor and it works like a charm. I dont know what the resaults would be on anything tinted as it my cause damage.
    "Be good or be good at it"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2011 Triumph Daytona 675SE - Current
    2005 Suzuki SV650S - 20,000km - SOLD
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - 8,000km - SOLD

I've always heard to NOT use RainX on visors. It works on glass due to an etching process and since our visors are softer they can't handle it. Plastic polishes are the cheap way out. I've used wood furniture polish with some success in the past as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ub312g0d View Post
    I've always heard to NOT use RainX on visors. It works on glass due to an etching process and since our visors are softer they can't handle it. Plastic polishes are the cheap way out. I've used wood furniture polish with some success in the past as well.
    did it for a season w no problems as of yet.
    "Be good or be good at it"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2011 Triumph Daytona 675SE - Current
    2005 Suzuki SV650S - 20,000km - SOLD
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - 8,000km - SOLD

I love Rain-x and it works great when you have to ride in the rain.

But... you have to replace the lenses as they get cloudy. I went through two lenses in a season then decided to stop using it for the third. I would still totally use it, if I was ready to pitch the lens.
    2009 Kawi ZX6r Ninja Monster Energy Edition
    2009 Kawi EX650