My very close call tonight (Apr 20 '11)... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My very close call tonight (Apr 20 '11)...

Re: My very close call tonight (Apr 20 '11)...

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    A couple of things:

Third season is the most dangerous for riders - that's when they start getting cocky.
    You seem to be in the wrong part of the lane for the turns.
    Being on the opposite side to start gives you a bigger picture around the turn.
    On a left turn start out on the right side of the lane.
    You can cheat when you stop by angling the bike slightly to the side that you are turning to.
    Your left turns seemed to be from the far left side of the road.
    Right turn you started from the middle of the lane.
    You seemed to downshift late and then didn't have enough time to brake before turning the bike.
    Get to the left side of the lane for a right turn if you can, brake early and more than you need to, then tip the bike over with push steering and slowly accelerate.
    That way the weight will shift towards the back of the bike and keep it in the suspension sweet spot.
    Once you are free and clear of the turn you can accelerate quickly back up to speed.

You weren't coming out of a bar were you?
    This is what I was thinking when I was watching the video. If you were just starting to turn away from the yellow line at 22 sec into the video, it probably wouldn't have happened at all. You're forcing yourself to make much tighter turns than necessary by turning too early and starting on the inside of the turn

Wow. Close call there buddy, glad you made it.

Yamaha YZF600 '95 *Sold*
    Looking for my next bike...

Ive done this once on a fresh stop sign line! Same thing happened though, jesus does it scare ya eh!

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Oh, I forgot. Glad you're o.k.

Rubber Snakes. Those cracks they pour a rubberized asphalt in to reseal the road surface. In the video just as you cross over one of them, wheee.
    Some of them won't let you ride on them even when you are upright. You can feel your tire skip from one side to the other and they are usually right in the tire tracks. Watch just how many there are in the video and especially the ones in the corner. Probably not the entire reason but most likely a contributing factor. Hate'em, I say we have a snake whacking day.

Quote Originally Posted by 7up View Post
    Rubber Snakes. Those cracks they pour a rubberized asphalt in to reseal the road surface. In the video just as you cross over one of them, wheee.
    Some of them won't let you ride on them even when you are upright. You can feel your tire skip from one side to the other and they are usually right in the tire tracks. Watch just how many there are in the video and especially the ones in the corner. Probably not the entire reason but most likely a contributing factor. Hate'em, I say we have a snake whacking day.
    Running with less than 42psi..(try 34)...and the tar snakes dont whip you around..
    I ride hard & fast on street and track.....get the right advice @ Riders Choice .......I dive deep with The Dive Academy in Oakville.....come dive with us

That all came down to cold tires if you ask me. You weren't particularly abrupt with the brakes/throttle and leaning into the turn might have helped a little but then if you did slide then leaning into it could have reduced your chance of recovering. Besides, who's going to lean over for every single little turn we do, seriously.

Actually, your line could be better as othrs have said, go in wide then 'clip' the inside curb and exit wide again.

I learned the same lesson though not anywhere near as severly, I just felt the front go kinda numb and then grab again in cold weather. This happened a couple times and now I'm very aware of temperatures and I give myself as good a safety margin as I think I need (but who really knows?)

Thanks for sharing the vid, it's a good lesson.
    Last edited by fastar1; 04-27-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    There is no planet B.

Hey I've seen some of the best riders drop it in a low speed corner. In fact I remember doing that once or twice in my early riding days. Both times I actually put my foot down and push myself up a bit to regain control. Both time I felt like a foolish noob. However its experience, and that's the best way to learn......unless its to late.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

733t skillz, good save. =D . . . I blame that fact that you ride at night with a tinted visor and cant see $h!7 ;P.
    "Be good or be good at it"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2011 Triumph Daytona 675SE - Current
    2005 Suzuki SV650S - 20,000km - SOLD
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - 8,000km - SOLD

holy ****, that was close, glad you are ok. I sub'ed to your channel, keep'em videos coming.

the ninja in your bike saved you. deja vu with a honda, yamaha or a suzuki, you would've gone down for sure.
    slowsucks...

Quote Originally Posted by TekNinja81 View Post
    Wow, it's been several hours and my head's still spinning from the whole thing.
    Glad you're ok.
    +1 about the lane positioning comments above.

on viewing the video, it looks like you actually got on the throttle a little too much with the bike leaned over too far. can i presume that the tires were probably cold on a cold night too?

under these circumstances, the back end loses grip, and it does look like you start to fishtail. you came off the throttle right away, which causes your rear tire to grip, snapping the bike upright. fortunately, you didn't get thrown.

something similar happened on my first high-side as a newb. very slow speed.

just be careful when it's cold.

thanks for posting.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

The good thing is you can critique your own self because of the video. I wish I had one when something similar happened at the track.,

Anyway - I'm not sure what happened, but it wasn't because you were going TOO SLOW. I can't figure out if you lost the front or if you just simply lost the rear.... and thought you lost the front too.

At any rate, all the points I'm going to talk about have already been mentioned, but I'm going to try to link them together. Regardless of what happened, there is more than just 1 issue going on.

- The road looks shiny = less grip. It is amazing how little grip some spots have, even when it is good weather. I know of 2 corners in the GTA that I can always get my car to lose grip at speeds WAY below the limit.... we're talking 20-30 kph here.
    - Cold Tires... careful... also what is the PSI (as mentioned).... you can't have a cold tire with Max pressure in it... maybe you don't, I'm just saying. I'd keep front and back in the 30s... front around 32 back around 36 and no more than that... but this depends on the tire.... I'm talking mostly street, because track tire pressure vary greatly.

If you lost the front:
    - With conditions mentioned above, with some lean angle and too much front brake... you could easily lose the front.... however you almost seemed too far into your turn to lose the front.

If you lost the rear
    - Similar to the above, except too much gas coming out .... and you were in the PERFECT spot of the turn for a typical highside... leaned over and you give too much gas. This ALMOST looks like what happened, but I didn't hear a substantial increase in RPM before you went wiggly.... so I dunno what happened... maybe you gave just enough under the wrong conditions and you lost the rear.

Another point that has sorta been mentioned. Body positioning. You say you have been working on it, but do a track school.... and let them help you get rid of bad habits. OR you can have a friend video tape you, so you can see what you are doing.

What you did kind reminded me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNU...1&feature=fvwp
    Except of course you didn't have a litre bike and brand new tires... but your lean angle was a lot more too.
    Last edited by Metastable; 05-01-2011 at 01:18 AM.