Does hitting a curb to avoid an accident count as an accident? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does hitting a curb to avoid an accident count as an accident?

Re: Does hitting a curb to avoid an accident count as an accident?

Unfortunately once you open a claim, the insurer will ultimately investigate to determine fault as part of the claims process. If you present them with new material information, they have the right to use it to determine your premium whether it works to your benefit or not. Unfortunately, they will not always agree to close a claim halfway and disregard any new material change if the claims process looks like it's not going to work out in your favour. Also, it's not the amount that is paid out to you that matters. You can be driving and smash into another person and it was clearly your fault, however, your policy does not carry collision coverage so $0 is paid out to fix your damages. Does that change the fact that you were at-fault and thus the risk to insure you has changed? No. Hate it or love it, this is how the current process works.

Banned

the other party ( A young girl with her friend) fled from the scene.
    you sure she was even noticed that there was an 'incident"

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    The key is if it's reported. Part of the issue is, damage was reported but, fixed by the insured. So, it validates the incident took place. Now it has to be proven the insured wasn't responsible.
    Assuming everything the OP is saying is true, id be calling the insurance company and saying that the claim is erronous. If they say he called i'd ask for their proof that an incident happened, i seriously doubt they're going to go to all that trouble to retrieve a phone call. Even still id claim you misphrased yourself, someone swerved at you and caused you to run over something in the road and you wondered if your tire was covered. Something like that. This should be easily beatable.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by dr01987 View Post
    I managed to capture the license plate and went to the police station the next day, filed the report and notified my insurance company and requesting if i can claim of the other party's insurance for my tire. My claims agent tells me after few days he spoke with the other parties insurance and because there was no contact with the other car they refused to pay. I told my claims adjuster to forget and close my claim since i didn'tout and want to go through my own..
    One thing you need to understand with insurance coverage is that you do not claim from the other party's insurance coverage. There is no such thing as asking for the other person's policy to pay for your tire and when that doesn't happen, telling your adjuster to close the claim as you don't want to claim from your own policy in order to avoid a premium increase. If you call your insurance company reporting a loss and ask for it to be fixed, you are in fact asking your own insurance company to investigate and for them to possibly pay to get the damages repaired. There are no options of choosing which insurance company pays for your tire.

As I said earlier, once you open a claim with your company, they will always investigate to determine percentage of fault. In these types of reported losses, there is always a percentage of fault that is ultimately assigned to at least one of the parties involved. Again, just because the damage is not covered by your insurance company does not mean that a reported loss simply disappears. A reported loss is a material change in risk and thus your insurer has the right to use that as rating information. Suggestions of recanting on your statement after the fact when it was originally made in truth is a whole other can of worms that I won't get into at depth other then to say that there are certain legal obligations and ramifications regarding your insurance contract. Best of luck for the future.
    Last edited by Boom King; 04-21-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    The pedal beside the gas activates the brakes. It's a handy feature.
    If you have time to honk, you have time to brake. Reacting aggressively is not the answer. Wonder if the OP learned anything from this?

Quote Originally Posted by dr01987 View Post
    @hondahhh Thats what im saying.. Honestly its like honesty doesnt work with insurance companies in this country. But i'm an idiot for doing so, i learn from my mistake. I do have a feeling that the company is out to get me though because i have 2 past claims but both have them been NOT fault accidents. My record is pretty clean i would say, 2 years ago i have a 7 day suspensions for stunt on record, and thats pretty much it.

The OP may feel the past claims are not their fault but, the insurance company may have determined some degree of responsibility. The 7 day suspension for stunting would also be a contributing factor. The timing to what they think and what the record shows can also be a factor.