BT-016 Range, please read this if you use or have used these tires!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT-016 Range, please read this if you use or have used these tires!

Question BT-016 Range, please read this if you use or have used these tires!

So users of the Bridgestone BT-016, what kind of mileage do you typically see out of these tires? If you can also add your riding style (aggressive, normal, conservative) and if possible your tire pressures, this would help me out a LOT.

Thank you in advance.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Re: BT-016 Range, please read this if you use or have used these tires!

I didn't like them. They get squared off really fast due to my highway riding. They only lasted me a season of conservitive riding.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

I have a Ninja ZX9R which a ride a little agressively at times and tried a few sets of these tires.
    They take a bit to warm up and lasted me only about 5 - 6000 kms (rear), with about 32 psi.
    They also take a bit of a push to go into the corners.
    Overall...to me they were only "ok".
    I scooped one set for $250 cash last year (private sale).
    Flying is easy...just hurl yourself at the ground and ...miss

I have them on my 600 and with a mixed riding style I have so far put on 7,500km and think will get another 3k out of them before the rear will need replacing. The front may get me through this season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    I didn't like them. They get squared off really fast due to my highway riding. They only lasted me a season of conservitive riding.
    who would have thunk a hypersport tire would square off due to highway riding. what crap tires. i would get my money back

UGH

I found them to exhibit lethargic turn in and a lot of kick back through the bars from mid corner bumps. I couldn't "feel" what the front tire was doing. Switching to a another tire and that problem went away.

A round trip (approx 80 miles) on the skyway did this - the compound melted and "goobered" the sipes:

When you live in brampton and work downtown toronto, you tend to ride on the highway a lot. I got these because they supposedly lasted longer because of the harder compond in the middle of the tire. I didn't notice anything special about them that differentiated them from the battlax bto-014 that the bike came with. I got longer life out of the 014's. Grip may not have been as good though.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by forexman View Post
    I have them on my 600 and with a mixed riding style I have so far put on 7,500km and think will get another 3k out of them before the rear will need replacing. The front may get me through this season as well.
    10k Kms sounds seriously insane. Like unheard-of-insane, wow.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

I ran the BT-016 on my old R6 and ended up getting 12k out of them. Mixed use, I think they're a great tire on the street; great wear and traction.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

I'm not sure the exact km's but I got an absolute ton out of them. I was blown away by how long these tires lasted. They didn't get squared off for me until the very end and were well worth it.

looks to me like u ran too low of tire pressure and over heated them....but that will happen when u ride aggresively.

i ran the BT016 on the VTR and they have 5K on them and tons of life left, a bit flat in center but thats to be expected with rail straight roads of Ontario. Having BT014's before the 16's i could do a direct comparions...not even close...the 014R's were done by 3K, and i mean DONE!

the GSXR has BT016's as well and i like it. Yea sometimes steering is a bit slow into a corner, but for the price and for the grip offered they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by NP6000 View Post
    I found them to exhibit lethargic turn in and a lot of kick back through the bars from mid corner bumps. I couldn't "feel" what the front tire was doing. Switching to a another tire and that problem went away.

A round trip (approx 80 miles) on the skyway did this - the compound melted and "goobered" the sipes:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

I've had 014's, 016's, 2ct's, and now Pirelli DRC's on my current bike.

The 016's are by far the worst tires I've ever had!

Horrible turn in, and the rear only lasted around 5500kms. The 2ct's were much better, and the Pirelli's, still fresh, feel so far as the best I've had to date.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, they recently introduced new "016 Pro" line. I guess an improvement over the old 016 line. I'd be interested to hear anybody's experience with the new line.

Last edited by SunnY S; 04-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.

FWIW I did like the tires, but only got like 6000km out of the rear

Casual to mildly aggressive riding, no commuting. I got between 9 and 10k out of the bt-015s that came on the bike. I have the 16s now and find them a little better for handling.

With moderate:semi-aggressive street use, I got 12,000 kms out of them.
    Tire pressure ranged from 32 - 40 (long highway runs).
    I liked them.

Seems there are some new BT-016PRO's I only had the BT-016's

On a casual highway ride with my GF, the front sides once turned purple on me and caught my eye.

Later that trip, they returned to normal - near end of life.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    When you live in brampton and work downtown toronto, you tend to ride on the highway a lot. I got these because they supposedly lasted longer because of the harder compond in the middle of the tire. I didn't notice anything special about them that differentiated them from the battlax bto-014 that the bike came with. I got longer life out of the 014's. Grip may not have been as good though.
    When you live in Brampton and work downtown Toronto and ride on the highway a lot.. you should be on sport touring tires.

Well.. to be honest.. if you live in Ontario and won't be doing track days with the tires.. you should be on sport touring tires.

Scooped up a good deal on them from redliner_740...

Switching back to Metzeller's Roadtec Interact after this.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    When you live in Brampton and work downtown Toronto and ride on the highway a lot.. you should be on sport touring tires.

Well.. to be honest.. if you live in Ontario and won't be doing track days with the tires.. you should be on sport touring tires.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 FTW!

Check out my website!
    http://www.studiofg.ca

For those of you getting >5000 Km, could you tell us more about your weight, your bike, and what kinds of roads you rode on? Twisty? Straight commute? The more details here in every way possible, the merrier. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    For those of you getting >5000 Km, could you tell us more about your weight, your bike, and what kinds of roads you rode on? Twisty? Straight commute? The more details here in every way possible, the merrier. Thanks!
    The bike I used at the time (and in the pics) was a 1996 GSX-R 750 that weighed in at healthy 442lbs fully wet.
    I myself weigh an unfortunate >200 lbs - without gear.

I commute regularly (110 kms a day) in the summer, sans rain, basically straight highway stop and go usually, and Twisties as best I can every weekend.
    Those BT-016's went on several day trips, 1 trip to West Virginia, and 2xtrips to deals gap (1 rode there and back straight shot all highway @42psi cold R and 36psi cold F), and then 1 month later trailered there and back with my GF.

I think you are over analysing your tire purchase. Just buy em', try 'em, if you like 'em, buy 'em again.
    Seems everyone has a different opinion about them anyway.

No no, I already have them. I'm just wondering if I can make it to Vancouver on them through Denver and Salt Lake City