Riding in rain - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riding in rain

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

Re: Riding in rain

Been there done that.
    Big difference between being wet and warm and wet and cold.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by klx250s View Post
    I have done 100kms in 5 degree weather.. how about 700kms in 15-20 degrees? Do-able?
    Yes, this can done if you have the proper gear.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    Sunday a week ago I did 840 km's, much of it in rain with temps around +3 to +5. Good gear is very important!

..Tom
    +1 to you Tom

Quote Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
    I had a 2 piece rainsuit that was similarly unbreathable. It made riding in warm rain unbearable so I went to the Rev'it! Sand jacket and pants.
    I was looking at the Rev'it gear... do you have any pro's and/or con's with their stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by haisam10 View Post
    I guess that kind of stamina comes with time. I am exhausted after doing 60-80km. Not getting enough sleep and doing it right after work may also contribute to that .
    Sportbike, eh? One advantage of sitting up while riding is the ability to do 700+ KM on a days ride. I know a at least a couple people that ditched their rice-rockets for a sport tour - similar performance and WAY easier to mileage.
    -------------------
    '86 Virago XV700CS (in pieces)
    '85 Virago XV1000

I have done many a journey in the rain and in the cold rain/wind. With the proper gear, anything is possible.

The thing to be careful with when it's cold and rainy is getting wet on the inside from perspiration.
    Got a dose of that in PA - got sweaty inside the rain gear at about 10 degrees after climbing to see a tourist thingy.

Damn was that cold - yet once dried out in restaurant washroom ( love those hot air blowers ) rode home from PA in rain and even colder - no real issue tho it gets a tad shivery after many hours. Wet gloves were the only issue.
    Mind you the Burgman has a lot of upfront protection - I can ride in light / medium rain with no rain gear and only helmet and shoulders get wet.....so results may vary.

Stay dry inside and wear good gear with layers available - I still don't believe there is a do everything jacket.
    Many rain suits don't breathe.
    And gloves and boots that say they are waterproof often aren't even close.

Takes some time to get the layers all working correctly.

Currently for cool weather.

Poly undershirt ( don't wear cotton - see above for frigid results )
    Long sleeve shirt.
    Jacket liner for the mesh armour - makes the mesh wind proof from the inside and I just don't wear it above 17 or so.....tucks down small.
    Mesh armoured jacket I wear most of the time - wind blows through it on hot days - put the liner in on cool days. Best combo yet for me.

Then a rain jacket along for the serious wets or if it gets chilly for further wind protection goes over everything.....have a couple different ones.

Suggest dayglo of some sort for long distance in the rain. Really concerned one very black and very wet and very foggy night wearing all black gear including helmet, that I simply could not be seen properly.
    Those day glo construction vests are like $12, pack down small and just might save your *** from some inattentive cager. Went out and got one the next day.

One thing I like about the big storage on the Burgman - can carry many layers with room left over.
    One day in PA started at 4 degrees ended at 29.
    Looked like the Michellin man for breakfast......ended in tshirt. - even the mesh was too warm for just casual slow cruising.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 04-24-2011 at 02:08 AM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Ridden way too many times in the rain but this thread reminded me of a ride coming back from the east coast a couple years ago. Started off in Bar Harbor ME and finished in Albany NY, google maps says it's 720km, but I think I did closer to 1000km with some detours. It was around ten degrees and pouring rain for probably a good three quarters of the day, and just regular rain the rest of the time. By pouring, I mean cars were stopped on the side of the highway with their flashers on. My rain suit that previously worked fine, gave up the fight a couple hours in and started letting water in, my boots literally had puddles in them, and the water covers on my soft luggage failed so most of my clothes were wet. Thankfully it stopped raining by Albany and I found a hotel, had the best rest ever once I dried up

Yeah, definitely doable, and a good rain suit helps. I've only used my Frogg Toggs a couple times (replacement for the suit above) but it seems to do the job right. Keep on forgetting to pack plastic bags for the boots though, seems like it would help a lot.

Redger, i call that hardcore rider!!!! a lot of people wont even get their bikes out if its cloudy!!!
    good for you man!!
    dont forget the plastic bagas next time for your boots!
    VTX 1800R

You mean you get your feet wet???!!!..tch tch

Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

did NYC to toronto in +2 to +12, I wont do it again without full heated gears.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

For rain you need three things: smoothness, attitude, and gear.

Never done it in really cold weather but drove Ottawa, ON to Thunder Bay, ON (just over 1400 km) in one day in rain majority of the way. It was end of may so not terribly cold but wet sucked. I do this trip regularly in my car so the distance doesn't bother me. Cold/wet sucks especially hands and feet.