Riding in rain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding in rain

Riding in rain

I have done 100kms in 5 degree weather.. how about 700kms in 15-20 degrees? Do-able?

Re: Riding in rain

Quote Originally Posted by klx250s View Post
    I have done 100kms in 5 degree weather.. how about 700kms in 15-20 degrees? Do-able?
    No, that's what cars are for!
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by klx250s View Post
    how about 700kms in 15-20 degrees? Do-able?
    Are you insane, man!?!?! I don't think anyone has ever done this before.

This makes baby Jesus cry.

no one will EVER be able to ride 700kms. Evar!!!11!!11!!!1
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Sunday a week ago I did 840 km's, much of it in rain with temps around +3 to +5. Good gear is very important!

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    Sunday a week ago I did 840 km's, much of it in rain with temps around +3 to +5. Good gear is very important!

..Tom
    I guess that kind of stamina comes with time. I am exhausted after doing 60-80km. Not getting enough sleep and doing it right after work may also contribute to that .

Quote Originally Posted by haisam10 View Post
    I guess that kind of stamina comes with time. I am exhausted after doing 60-80km. Not getting enough sleep and doing it right after work may also contribute to that .

Riding position. You may be tiring yourself out. Are you hugging the tank? how's your weight distribution? do you find yourself shifting your body weight a lot?
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post

..Tom
    Yup, right gear is the answer,
    Rode from Thunder Bay to Sault St. Marie in 5-10 degree weather with rain the entire day.
    I was glad to get out of the wet clothes but I was dry and warm for the most part. Layers and good quality rain gear is what you need.
    "Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of bad experience comes from bad judgment."

I do 550ish km day trips fairly often to check on my cottage and pick up the mail...
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

I rode from Bradford PA, thru twisties to Pittsburg, turned West and then more twisties thru eastern Ohio. DIdn't touch a 4 lane freeway until COlumbus Ohio. 15 hrs of non stop rain riding from Bradford to Indianaplois.

Good quality Fieldsheer rain suit. Milk bags over Sidi Air raceboots, with elastics around middle of foot and around shin to keep milk bags in place. Over golves too. The only wetness I felt was from the sweat that can't escape thru the rain suit.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Im downtown Toronto and I am riding to Chicago on tuesday next week (rain or shine) its 900km!!
    Are we man??? or clowns??
    Some motorcyclists like the idea of riding more than actual riding, which includes accepting passionately and embracing the elements. At the first sign of inclement weather, the former breed of biker will keep his prized possession neatly tucked in the garage like last year's Christmas ornaments, covered and locked and cozy in the warm, boring darkness
    VTX 1800R

As mentioned, right gear makes this no problem. I prefer to put rain gear overtop of my gear, best solution in my opinion. I used to have the waterproof textile gear, was terrible and did not breath well. I have much better gear, the inside liner is waterproof, but I only use it for warmth, I keep a set of frogg toggs in my side bag and toss it on when it starts to rain. The frogg toggs breath and you dont end up in a sweat box, sweating as much as its raining. 15-20 degree weather is a perfect temperature in my opinion, and again, if dressed properly, riding in the rain for the length is no issue at all.

I don't think it has anything to do with Stamina (I started off the day Hung over! ) It has lots to do with gear and a bike that is comfy.

..Tom
    Ride Ride Ride!

SMIDSY detailed report

Thanks everyone, wont be doing it.. omnivore, Springville 219 to Hagerstown..good, fun, safe road? Will wait till I see some sun & human temps, forget this wet arctic crap.

219 is nice. Not too technical, but curvey all the same. Nice views...watch for critters.
    Once you get to Hagerstown, consider riding west just past Morgantown WV, and riding all the way across the Mason Dixon Hwy (#7). It's a fantastic ride, but do not speed thru towns in WV. Not even 5 mph over...They ticket like crazy.
    Last edited by omnivore; 04-19-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I did 900Km at 15-20, more than half of it in torrential downpour of epic proportions, with thunder and crazy cross winds. I wouldn't do it for fun, but once thoroughly soaked I just kept plowing because I'm stubborn and I was going home . There is no gear that I know of that will not soak through after an hour or two through a good sized shower. If you don't end up swimming in rain water you'll be swimming in your own sweat. If the weather is warm and it doesn't rain too long and too hard I'm better off if I just keep going than if I stop and put my rain gear on. heated grips and jacket liner help if it's a little cold.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    ...There is no gear that I know of that will not soak through after an hour or two through a good sized shower. If you don't end up swimming in rain water you'll be swimming in your own sweat. If the weather is warm and it doesn't rain too long and too hard I'm better off if I just keep going than if I stop and put my rain gear on. heated grips and jacket liner help if it's a little cold.
    Frogg Toggs (Road Toads) took care of that for me in the past, for the last year and a bit (and about 52,000 km) I have and Aerostich Roadcrafter which has proven to be completely rainproof for me.

Neither the Frogg Toggs now the Roadcrafter have ever soaked through, and both breath very well so that
    sweating is never an issue.

..Tom
    Ride Ride Ride!

SMIDSY detailed report

My Olympia Ast jacket keeps me completely dry in torrential rains and so do my Alpinestar Drystar pants. Both are good for summer riding in the rain with minimal sweating. Both of my heated gloves are also waterproof.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

I use a 1 piece rain suit, some sort of boot covers, and dish washing gloves (the ugly yellow ones) and I'm always dry on outside, but sweating on the inside due to the lack of breathable material.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I use a 1 piece rain suit, some sort of boot covers, and dish washing gloves (the ugly yellow ones) and I'm always dry on outside, but sweating on the inside due to the lack of breathable material.
    I had a 2 piece rainsuit that was similarly unbreathable. It made riding in warm rain unbearable so I went to the Rev'it! Sand jacket and pants.

There's no point in keeping your jacket and pants dry if you're sweating uncomfortably on the inside.

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."