3 meters from fire hydrant? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 meters from fire hydrant?

Re: 3 meters from fire hydrant?

I was once a PCO (green hornet).
    Would not tag unless a "car" was actually blocking the hydrant.
    being a rider I never tagged a bike.

your 20 meters is interesting as the "roadway" is considered to be 20 meters from the centre line. So if the hydrant was 20 meters from the curb, it would not be part of the roadway and would not be an issue. but within 20 of centre line YES

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Nice to see a common sense approach to parking laws. Too bad there isn't more like you. (maybe there are I just don't see them often).

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    As someone asked, what if the hydrant was 20 meters away in a park? Is there an exclusion zone?

your 20 meters is interesting as the "roadway" is considered to be 20 meters from the centre line. So if the hydrant was 20 meters from the curb, it would not be part of the roadway and would not be an issue. but within 20 of centre line YES
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    From the Toronto Municipal Code:

B. Despite any other provisions of this chapter, or any provisions of any other by-law
    or code, having a permit displayed does not permit any person to park a vehicle in any
    of the following locations or areas:
    (1) In front of or within 0.6 metres of a driveway, laneway or ramp leading to a
    front yard parking area or boulevard parking area for which a license has been
    issued by the designated authority, or so as to obstruct vehicles in the use of a
    driveway, laneway, a licensed front yard parking area or a licensed boulevard
    parking area;
    (2)
    Within 3.0 metres of a point on the curb or edge of the roadway opposite any
    fire hydrant
    ;
    (3) Within 9.0 metres of an intersecting roadway;
    (4) Within 15.0 metres of any level crossing of a railway other than a street railway;
    (5) Alongside the tracks of any railway other than a street railway; or
    (6) In such a position or location as will prevent the removal of any other vehicle
    previously parked.
    (7) On any of the streets listed in the chart below in Column 1, on both sides of the
    street, on the portion of the street set out in Column 3 at the times and dates set
    out in Column 4. [Added 2008-03-31 by By-law No. 263-200811]

Where does 20 m come from? The law is pretty clear - 3 m along the curb, distance to the hydrant is irrelevant. As far as parking a motorcycle close to a hydrant - do you really want one or two large lads with big rubber boots and heavy snow suits with 25 kilos of gear on their backs hauling fire hoses and equipment and spinning hydrant wrenches right beside your motorcycle? One bump and your ride is on its side.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    Exactly.
    Someone post that picture up ..
    Second that!
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    Second that!
    See the link in my response to that
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

It wont work .. the city now takes a picture of the car when parked in a fire route zone/ fire hydrant area or handicapped spot.
    That way they can show the judge if you try and dispute the fine.
    Agree, lost my case when I took my ticket to court. On top of that, I was also "blocking" a fire exit (loading dock of the toronto eaton center)...
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

Nice to know as a PCO that you knew exactly the room that the fire dept requires. I'm sure they were happy with the expert discretion you were able to utilize, and that someone's bike could not possibly be an obstruction.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Advice given by chief at swearing in was "do your job but no need to be a dick"

Many could benefit from that advice.

Advice given by chief at swearing in was "do your job but no need to be a dick"
    Not given to Toronto parking officers, at least when Miller was mayor. His mandate was squeeze every nickel out of as many pockets as you can.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

thanks everyone for the feedback, im going to set up a court date and take it from there.... if it was $30 i would have just paid it, but now that its $100, im gonna fight it

Exactly.
    Someone post that picture up ..
    I recently spoke with a PEO (who was ticketing a blocker) and mentioned that image to him. His response was that Toronto's FD was discouraged from breaking windows or "pushing" the offending car out of the way. Liability or accidental injury to the FF?

I agree with the painted curb idea to clear up the confusion. I was stung badly for parking in front of a hydrant which was completely obscured by shrubbery. My car's brakes had failed, so I didn't have much choice where to leave it before getting a tow. The officer knew where the hydrant was, though. Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    I recently spoke with a PEO (who was ticketing a blocker) and mentioned that image to him. His response was that Toronto's FD was discouraged from breaking windows or "pushing" the offending car out of the way. Liability or accidental injury to the FF?

I agree with the painted curb idea to clear up the confusion. I was stung badly for parking in front of a hydrant which was completely obscured by shrubbery. My car's brakes had failed, so I didn't have much choice where to leave it before getting a tow. The officer knew where the hydrant was, though. Bastards.
    I hope that you fought that ticket. Hydrants must be kept clear so, if it was concealed by shrubs, then someone (likely the city) wasn't meeting their legal requirements.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

3M on the roadway. Unless the hydrant is waytheheck back from the roadway (I would say 10M+ to even start to argue), then this is how it is.

Yes, that is mad MS Paint skillz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hydrant.JPG  
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor