3 meters from fire hydrant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 meters from fire hydrant?

3 meters from fire hydrant?

Hello everyone

I got a ticket yesterday night that stated i parked within 3 meters of a fire hydrant.
    My issue

I was parked to the left of the hydrant (my rear bumper was about 1 meter in front of the hydrant), but the hydrant was atleast 5-6 meters from the curb.

Am I still wrong to have parked there?

Re: 3 meters from fire hydrant?

Yes.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    Yes.
    really?

so whats the rule about the distance the hydrant has to be? what if it was 20 meters in a park, can I not park there?

where can i find documentation supporting this.

Take a picture of it, and the distance between your car and where it is actually located.

You may get lucky with the right judge, but highly doubtful as by law will also have their own pictures as well.
    Along with the city ordance stating the regulations of parking near/at/beside/on top a fire hydrant.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca

go to the ministry website and clikc on the link for the driver's handbook...it clearly states 3m and it was one of the questions on my recent m1 test (the g1 rules & reg's section)...

I always thought the distance was linear to the point the hydrant is on the street, not actual distance from the hydrant itself. Am I correct?
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    I always thought the distance was linear to the point the hydrant is on the street, not actual distance from the hydrant itself. Am I correct?
    I think you are correct. Like many laws I just wish they would paint the curb or put up markers to make it a no brainer. There have been times where I have parked thinking I was more than good for space only to realize upon walking back to the vehicle that it could be a few inches on ether side of my imagined 3 metres. With parking as tight as it is in the city and no one walking around with metre sticks it would serve everyone well to make the 'No Parking' space clear as day.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    ... it would serve everyone well to make the 'No Parking' space clear as day.
    That is certainly true, but remember the curb is covered with snow or ice for much of the year. We need first to know the law (draw a line from the hydrant perpendicular to the curb) and then measure a generous 3 meters from the place that line meets the curb. If we must do our own measuring when the weather is at its worst, then we ought to be able to do the same measuring just fine when the sun is shining.
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

Take a picture of it, and the distance between your car and where it is actually located.

You may get lucky with the right judge, but highly doubtful as by law will also have their own pictures as well.
    Along with the city ordance stating the regulations of parking near/at/beside/on top a fire hydrant.

NO... move it a few meters away, then take the picture.
    2005 SUZUKI GSX-R 750 - Ridin'
    2002 HONDA CBR954RR - sold
    2000 HONDA CBR929RR-sold
    2000 HONDA CBR600F4-sold
    2003 KAWASAKI NINJA500R-sold

Quote Originally Posted by yee_boys69 View Post
    NO... move it a few meters away, then take the picture.
    It wont work .. the city now takes a picture of the car when parked in a fire route zone/ fire hydrant area or handicapped spot.
    That way they can show the judge if you try and dispute the fine.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca

From the Toronto Municipal Code:

B. Despite any other provisions of this chapter, or any provisions of any other by-law
    or code, having a permit displayed does not permit any person to park a vehicle in any
    of the following locations or areas:
    (1) In front of or within 0.6 metres of a driveway, laneway or ramp leading to a
    front yard parking area or boulevard parking area for which a license has been
    issued by the designated authority, or so as to obstruct vehicles in the use of a
    driveway, laneway, a licensed front yard parking area or a licensed boulevard
    parking area;
    (2)
    Within 3.0 metres of a point on the curb or edge of the roadway opposite any
    fire hydrant
    ;
    (3) Within 9.0 metres of an intersecting roadway;
    (4) Within 15.0 metres of any level crossing of a railway other than a street railway;
    (5) Alongside the tracks of any railway other than a street railway; or
    (6) In such a position or location as will prevent the removal of any other vehicle
    previously parked.
    (7) On any of the streets listed in the chart below in Column 1, on both sides of the
    street, on the portion of the street set out in Column 3 at the times and dates set
    out in Column 4. [Added 2008-03-31 by By-law No. 263-200811]
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Just buy a pair of horn rimmed spectacles and tell the judge you are near sighted.

If you are to cross-examine the ofiicer ask him if he took out the measuring tape and measured the distance from the hydrant to your car.
    If he did not measure it then it's likely he will say that your car was parked right in front of the fire hydrant so there was no need to measure. Some does lie and his testimony will be beleived by the JP.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I think the idea is that a pumper truck should be able to park right in front of the hydrant if there is a fire.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post

B. Despite any other provisions of this chapter, or any provisions of any other by-law
    or code, having a permit displayed does not permit any person to park a vehicle in any
    of the following locations or areas:
    (1) In front of or within 0.6 metres of a driveway, laneway or ramp leading to a
    front yard parking area or boulevard parking area for which a license has been
    issued by the designated authority, or so as to obstruct vehicles in the use of a
    driveway, laneway, a licensed front yard parking area or a licensed boulevard
    parking area;
    (2)
    Within 3.0 metres of a point on the curb or edge of the roadway opposite any
    fire hydrant
    ;
    (3) Within 9.0 metres of an intersecting roadway;
    (4) Within 15.0 metres of any level crossing of a railway other than a street railway;
    (5) Alongside the tracks of any railway other than a street railway; or
    (6) In such a position or location as will prevent the removal of any other vehicle
    previously parked.
    (7) On any of the streets listed in the chart below in Column 1, on both sides of the
    street, on the portion of the street set out in Column 3 at the times and dates set
    out in Column 4. [Added 2008-03-31 by By-law No. 263-200811]
    Need a copy of this printed on the back of your sun visor!

;
    (2) [/COLOR]Within 3.0 metres of a point on the curb or edge of the roadway opposite any
    fire hydrant
    ;
    [Added 2008-03-31 by By-law No. 263-200811]
    As someone asked, what if the hydrant was 20 meters away in a park? Is there an exclusion zone?

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    As someone asked, what if the hydrant was 20 meters away in a park? Is there an exclusion zone?
    Not that I saw in the bylaws and not that it matters, because the fire truck still needs to be able to PULL UP AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD as close as possible to the hydrant. I'm reminded of the picture of a BMW with the hose run from the fire truck, through two broken windows, to the hydrant that the driver had blocked.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Not that I saw in the bylaws and not that it matters, because the fire truck still needs to be able to PULL UP AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD as close as possible to the hydrant. I'm reminded of the picture of a BMW with the hose run from the fire truck, through two broken windows, to the hydrant that the driver had blocked.
    Exactly.
    Someone post that picture up ..
    www.thetoyhauler.ca

I got the same ticket last year, fought it a few months ago and they didn't even try and provide any evidence, just withdrew due to lack of reasonable prospect. I was on a MC and park in the spot all the time, clearly not blocking the hydrant and this time they decided to ticket me.

Take it to court and be sure they provide all the necessary documents and evidence against you, dont plea either, stick to your ground that the hydrant was more than 3M away.

Exactly.
    Someone post that picture up ..
    http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...4/TPC_0084.htm