I don't see a project thread forum, so moderators, please move this thread if it's inappropriate here.

So, I picked up a Yamaha XS400 DOHC as a project bike yesterday, trailered it home, and took stock of what's going to need to be done.

For starters, it wasn't starting, but the former owner said it worked fine until he put the seat on. I suspected a broken fuse, and after checking all 4, and consulting my handy dandy German wiring diagram (I do not speak German, but we got by), figured out that the ignition fuse was not working. Off to PartSource for fuses, and then I got the bike to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFI4zD9myU

I'm working on my maniacal laugh.

Since that video from this morning, I've removed the seat, gas tank, intake and carbs, and am about to cut off the exhaust. The exhaust is so corroded that there are huge cracks in the side of the mufflers. Can anyone recommend a store that carries Mac exhaust products? I love the two into one chrome number they manufacture (also, no one else manufactures exhausts for this bike. Good think I like it.)

Other issues: There is oil leaking from the head gasket on the right side of the engine. I have a gasket set on it's way from Vancouver to help with this issue.

Other other issue: not as pressing, but the bike is kinda multicoloured right now, with a purple tank and side panels, and a black rear fender. The tank has been repainted, and is quite orange peely, so that'll need to be fixed. Thankfully, I found a whole set of extra emblems in the back of the bike! Score!

The bike is otherwise in good shape. It will need a new front tire to certify, but the electrics are good (if suspicious - there are definitely extra parts in there, and the fuse box isn't stock.) More with pics tomorrow!