Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT... - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT...

Re: Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT...

The list of bikes "short stop" mentioned are all pretty good (although the Ninja650 and SV650 are a bit powerful IMHO ... I've tried them both).

Don't rule out super-motards (like that bike you thought looked cool in the pic someone attached) and dual sports; they make GREAT beginner bikes. If you're tall, consider the XR650, DR650 and KLR650 ("650" duals are NOT the same as "600SS" bikes I assure you). The Suzuki DRZ400s are great and there is a cool looking SM version that has been out for a few yrs; you could find a used 1 at a reasonable price I bet.

Duals with their soft suspension teach you to be very smooth with the controls (clutch, brakes, throttle). There's NOTHIng more uncool than not knowing how to ride your SS (as most ppl don't). Being able to ride the crap out of a "nothing bike" is waaayyyy cooler! I've owned a KLR and a DRZ and I used to LOVE it when my friends on their SS couldn't keep up with me around town or on the twisties.

BTW I now own a VFR800; with almost 10 yrs of riding experience I would NOT recommend it to a noob. Too heavy and powerful.

Good luck and use your head. You're asking the right questions ... deep down I know you have the right answer.....
    Last edited by alzride; 04-06-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rich6969 View Post
    WOW I so love reading stuff like this and I always get a laugh or two... Op you are a Nob for even posting this thread anyways ….
    There's a reason why I posted this question in the beginner area.

Quote Originally Posted by rich6969 View Post
    ...its because most of us no what we are talking about when it come to a SS and the power behind it is no starter bike for a NEWBIE...
    I acknowledge being new to things; I am here for positive feedback and advice. Telling me I'm a newbie is like telling a giraffe that it's very tall or an elephant that it weighs a lot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    By the way, I'm sure you'll hear plenty of "I started on a 600RR and I'm fine" stories without too many dissenting first-hand experiences.. That is because the dissenters are either dead, unable to type or so sour about their injuries that they don't wanna have anything to do with riding any more so they don't frequent GTAM.
    Fair point, I'm sure there are plenty of people who scared themselves half to death on a bigger bike as a new rider.

Dude, did you see my list?
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by _eug_ View Post
    Its really easy to buy and sell bikes.

I started on a 1998 Kawasaki Ninja 500r, I bought it for $2,000. I crashed it and got $2,800 from the insurance. Two weeks later I bought a 2000 Drz400s for $2,500. I rode that for half a season and then sold it for... $2500!. The only money lost was on new tires and oil changes. Dont worry so much about the taxes, just dont tell the MTO the real price that you paid for it.

Now with about 10,000km under my belt, I got my self a 2009 Aprilia Shiver 750. Its a naked standard bike but it has a sports mode on it which is as twitchy as any SS that I have ridden.

In the past year I had the chance to ride 3 SS bikes, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2007 Kawi ZX6R, and 2006 Yamaha r6. Sure they have sick acceleration but they are very uncomfortable for the city. You really had to rev them to get into the "fun" zone and they were not comfortable at all.

My advice for you is to find any cheap old bike which will be cheap on insurance and will take your abuse. Then sell it after a year or even after a few months. You will not lose any money as long as you find a good deal from the start.
    I genuinely appreciate your feedback!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Why hung up on aethetics? It's your first bike. You're learning to ride on it, not look cool (although that's always a bonus factor, and will happen regardless of your bike).

I think maybe you haven't researched all of your options. If you think that your only options are the CBR 125/Ninja250 and 600SS's than you're wrong. Other considerations:

- CBR250
    - Ninja 500
    - Suzuki GS500
    - Buell Blast
    - Monster 620
    - Ninja 650*
    - SV650*

* these are a little more powerful, but easier to handle than outright sport bikes

I'm sure I'm missing a ton.
    I'll definitely give those ones serious consideration. Thank you!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Its not a solution to your issue,
    Ok what am I missing?

I bought an 09 Ninja 250 in April 2010 for $3900, put 5000kms on it, changed the oil twice, and sold it in October for $3900. So I wouldn't be too concerned about depreciation, etc. especially for the new model Ninjas (2008+)

Quote Originally Posted by AllanR View Post
    I bought an 09 Ninja 250 in April 2010 for $3900, put 5000kms on it, changed the oil twice, and sold it in October for $3900. So I wouldn't be too concerned about depreciation, etc. especially for the new model Ninjas (2008+)
    good stuff..... the question we all have is did you learn anything on that 250?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Dude, did you see my list?
    Yep I got it thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AllanR View Post
    OK cool! good to know

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alzride View Post
    The list of bikes "short stop" mentioned are all pretty good (although the Ninja650 and SV650 are a bit powerful IMHO ... I've tried them both).

Don't rule out super-motards (like that bike you thought looked cool in the pic someone attached) and dual sports; they make GREAT beginner bikes. If you're tall, consider the XR650, DR650 and KLR650 ("650" duals are NOT the same as "600SS" bikes I assure you). The Suzuki DRZ400s are great and there is a cool looking SM version that has been out for a few yrs; you could find a used 1 at a reasonable price I bet.

Duals with their soft suspension teach you to be very smooth with the controls (clutch, brakes, throttle). There's NOTHIng more uncool than not knowing how to ride your SS (as most ppl don't). Being able to ride the crap out of a "nothing bike" is waaayyyy cooler! I've owned a KLR and a DRZ and I used to LOVE it when my friends on their SS couldn't keep up with me around town or on the twisties.

BTW I now own a VFR800; with almost 10 yrs of riding experience I would NOT recommend it to a noob. Too heavy and powerful.

Good luck and use your head. You're asking the right questions ... deep down I know you have the right answer.....
    Thanks Alzride, I appreciate your feedback and supportive response with respect to being a new rider. I don't imagine that I'll want to exceed 120km/h as my employment is closely hinged to being able to drive; losing my license isn't an option. If I can do highway speed on a 125 or 250 then that'll do the trick for me.

My first bike was a 99 600f4. I respect it the power and rode it accordingly. Sure i booked it a few times but not all the time. Went on 3 group rides to niagara and forks, and i was fine. Hell i learned how to shift gears on a bike through watching YOUTUBE videos. I just took it easy and didnt try to be a hero. I wiped out at the end of the season going about 40 because i did not warm up my tires properly. Sold the bike, and now i have a 03 kawasaki 636. My first season was last year and im 28. I loved my f4 and im glad i got it. Theres obviously different circumstances for everyone.

While I did recommend the SV650 in the past, I'm not sure if it would make a good starter. It has loads of low-end torque and can go pretty quick off the line and that's where most beginner trouble starts.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    While I did recommend the SV650 in the past, I'm not sure if it would make a good starter. It has loads of low-end torque and can go pretty quick off the line and that's where most beginner trouble starts.
    Is this the SV650?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-11-06.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	24052

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Ok I know there is a sticky thread here about sport bikes not being beginner bikes and I can't argue with that. I also know that its probably bad for me to be considering a CBR600 as my 1st bike.

I'm also aware of the fact that as riders age they have a harder time riding sport bikes for obvious reasons. So I figure that I should get the sport bike out of my system while I can still afford to abuse my body accordingly.

In the interest of not losing money I'm thinking of going right into a 600cc bike. Otherwise I'll be out the $$ for taxes and depreciation. I am probably doing it all wrong at this point jumping right into a sport bike which isn't a 125 or 250CC. But I plan to at least try to grow into it and transition from a novice to...well...not a novice. Intermediate?....I digress.

So the part I need feedback on is; If I opt for a 600RR model vs. the 600F4i am I going to severely hurt myself despite being very cautious and careful?
    Your title made me giggle.
    Everyone in the city is a terrible terrible driver BUT...
    I've never done this before in my life BUT...
    You may think I'm making a big mistake BUT...

I don't really want your opinion BUT...

There's a voice inside telling me this is a bad idea BUT...
    Last edited by Baggsy; 04-06-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    I'm sure they're really good at crashing them for sure. If you got what you paid or even slightly more then you must be a good salesman...or just kinda lucky or both. But my argument was about depreciation and taxes. I'm not a fan of giving the Gov't any more $ than I'm legally required to.
    And I just showed you two cases of this being a non-argument.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

You could think of it this way: Your first bike won't be your last unless you kill yourself on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    You could think of it this way: Your first bike won't be your last unless you kill yourself on it.
    That's rather morbid. But in a practical sense true.

have you priced insurance yet? This thread is a moot point as with the F4 as an m2 rider (im going to guess also under 25) you're going to be between 4k-6k a year for insurance.

A 250/500 may be your only option.

Look at a ninja/gs 500 it'll take a while to get bored of that. Hell after two years of riding a 600 i still have a ton of fun on smaller displacement bikes, they just dont allow for the same level of highway hooliganism which in a lot of ways is a good thing lol.

Keep in mind even old 600's are as fast as a modern viper/corvette, would you teach someone how to drive a car in a stick shift viper? And thats with a cage around you!
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.