Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT...

Banned

Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT...

Ok I know there is a sticky thread here about sport bikes not being beginner bikes and I can't argue with that. I also know that its probably bad for me to be considering a CBR600 as my 1st bike.

I'm also aware of the fact that as riders age they have a harder time riding sport bikes for obvious reasons. So I figure that I should get the sport bike out of my system while I can still afford to abuse my body accordingly.

In the interest of not losing money I'm thinking of going right into a 600cc bike. Otherwise I'll be out the $$ for taxes and depreciation. I am probably doing it all wrong at this point jumping right into a sport bike which isn't a 125 or 250CC. But I plan to at least try to grow into it and transition from a novice to...well...not a novice. Intermediate?....I digress.

So the part I need feedback on is; If I opt for a 600RR model vs. the 600F4i am I going to severely hurt myself despite being very cautious and careful?

Re: Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT...

Well that depends. Are you truly looking for advice or are you just looking for people to back-up your decision?
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Well that depends. Are you truly looking for advice or are you just looking for people to back-up your decision?
    LoL this^^^

No one who has a clue about riding will tell you that a twitchy race bread motorcycle is ideal for learning how to ride. There's hundreds of reasons but in the end just get something more forgiving. Look at a ninja or sv650, a skilled rider on one of those will run circles around most people on a 600 with ease.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Banned

Looking for genuine feedback. I know that jumping into a 600cc bike as a beginner is already pressing my luck. So if going to an RR which as I understand is a super-sport is going to put me over the edge then I won't do it. I'm only asking because someone PM'd me about a WTB thread I posted for a CBR600 F4i. He asked if I'd be interested in his RR - it seems like it could be a pretty good deal so I before I give it serious consideration I need to know how far in over my head I'll be.

BTW, the F4i isn't considered a super-sport is it?

I've seen just about the worst that can happen when a beginner hops onto a newer generation 600cc SS bike. Those bikes react instantly and don't give you that extra split-second to correct your mistake that older 600's or different bike types do. When you make those rookie mistakes, they better not be at the wrong place/time. Start with a smaller bike and make sure it's older and used. You'll pay little in taxes and it won't lose much in value. Once you've had a season or two under your belt, you can go for a 600. With that being said, most people can't ride a 250 to its limits
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    With that being said, most people can't ride a 250 to its limits
    how about we just say ride a 250 well. Not too many people can ride anything to its theoretical limits, but that doesnt mean everyone should be on a 250. Agree about everything else that comment jsut drives me nuts lol
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    how about we just say ride a 250 well. Not too many people can ride anything to its theoretical limits, but that doesnt mean everyone should be on a 250. Agree about everything else that comment jsut drives me nuts lol
    So avoid anything bigger than a 250, including a non-SS 600?

Not gonna lie but even a 125 felt fast to me (due to it being a new experience) when I did my safety course. Believe it or not my primary concern is safety, but it sucks knowing ahead of time that I'll end up growing out of the 125 (probably) after one season. Wow that was very disjointed but anyway it sounds like if I don't want to end up in the hospital I should be looking 600cc<
    Last edited by sundancekid; 04-06-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    You could go for a non-ss larger displacement bike... Kawi and Suzuki have some good 500cc starters as well. Also, you want something a bit older because you will drop it, so it's less of a cryin' shame than droppin' a new bike.
    By the way this advice is coming from a guy who started on an older 600. I've made some rookie errors, fortunately where there was no traffic, but my friend made the same error that I did on a couple of occasions.. I lucked out (also had that extra split-second to correct them), but my friend didn't and the worst part was that it happened right in front of me on a ride that I organized. I'm still riding that older 600, thinking of "downgrading" (if there's money next season) to this:
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    You could go for a non-ss larger displacement bike... Kawi and Suzuki have some good 500cc starters as well. Also, you want something a bit older because you will drop it, so it's less of a cryin' shame than droppin' a new bike.
    By the way this advice is coming from a guy who started on an older 600. I've made some rookie errors, fortunately where there was no traffic, but my friend made the same error that I did on a couple of occasions.. I lucked out (also had that extra split-second to correct them), but my friend didn't and the worst part was that it happened right in front of me on a ride that I organized. I'm still riding that older 600, thinking of "downgrading" (if there's money next season) to this:
    That's an interesting looking bike what is it?

I'm cheap I admit to that - its one reason why I want the F4i. Its the damn taxes etc. But I also kinda value not ending up getting injured. So I'm seriously considering the CBR125.

Not gonna lie but even a 125 felt fast to me (due to it being a new experience) when I did my safety course. Believe it or not my primary concern is safety, but it sucks knowing ahead of time that I'll end up growing out of the 125 (probably) after one season. Wow that was very disjointed but anyway it sounds like if I don't want to end up in the hospital I should be looking 600cc<
    Don't sweat it. I even said this recently in another thread - there's nothing necessarily wrong with using a bike for a season or two and switching it up to something bigger. Think of the bike as a learning tool. It's unlikely that you're going to lose out on much $$ - beginner bikes are always in demand and generally retain their value. It's doubtful that any bike you start with will be your last.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

The F4i is a supersport bike, it will bite you just as quickly as th 600RR, thinking it won't is asking for trouble.

The bike really has NOTHING to do with this equation.

You've answered your own question. Obviously you feel the 125 is enough power for you, so why not just get a 250? That way once you get comfortable with the speed you got out of the 125, you can still push it to what the 250 will give you. Should be able to get it up to 120-140, which I think is more than enough for someone starting out.

Do you have any experience riding a motorcycle? Dirt bike, scooter....anything? How about your age? If you're under 25, just getting your M2, the "savings" you speak of will be wiped out by the surcharge of insurance premiums.

It sounds like you have little to no experience if you're asking is a 600F4i is a SS.

There are litterly 1000s of folks that have the confidence to go ahead and go straight to a SS and get injured or killed. Not one of them started out and intended to do this to themselves. But, it happenned. There is a reason insurance costs are out of this world and this in one of many factors.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 250 or 125 to start out on. Especially if you've never ridden before and want to start out right.

Of the people I know that "started" on a 600 on the street, they had several years of motorcross experience. The street is much different than dirt and going from a dirt bike to a SS are completely different animals. But, there learning curve was much smaller. Also, they had to break some bad habits that don't translate to the road too. Also, not all of them jumped on and did well. Some dropped their bikes just like a noob would.

Channel that curiousity to seriously consider a different bike to get started on. Also, budget for good gear, and keep in mind there are maintence costs associated to riding as well. This isn't a cheap hobby by any means.

Good luck.
    Last edited by nakkers; 04-06-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Banned

If you are thinking about riding for the long run, buy a used 250 and ride the piss out of it. Then sell it in a few years to a buddy who will be wanting to ride as well. It is not a "loss of tax and such". You sound like you have some reservations about a SS as a first bike. Good for you!

Find out if you even want to do this long term first, then buy the "deal of a century" SS bike....

And i have to agree with FF once again. I know VERY few people who can properly ride a bike to it's limits. I bet most of the rockstars tracking GSXR's on this site couldnt catch this cat on a goldwing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ...38452B2A47011A

Ok I know there is a sticky thread here about sport bikes not being beginner bikes and I can't argue with that. I also know that its probably bad for me to be considering a CBR600 as my 1st bike.

I'm also aware of the fact that as riders age they have a harder time riding sport bikes for obvious reasons. So I figure that I should get the sport bike out of my system while I can still afford to abuse my body accordingly.

In the interest of not losing money I'm thinking of going right into a 600cc bike. Otherwise I'll be out the $$ for taxes and depreciation. I am probably doing it all wrong at this point jumping right into a sport bike which isn't a 125 or 250CC. But I plan to at least try to grow into it and transition from a novice to...well...not a novice. Intermediate?....I digress.

So the part I need feedback on is; If I opt for a 600RR model vs. the 600F4i am I going to severely hurt myself despite being very cautious and careful?

If you get a newer Gixxer it has the mode control so you can dial it down. Makes it a lil easier to handle

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    Do you have any experience riding a motorcycle? Dirt bike, scooter....anything? How about your age? If you're under 25, just getting your M2, the "savings" you speak of will be wiped out by the surcharge of insurance premiums.

It sounds like you have little to no experience if you're asking is a 600F4i is a SS.

There are litterly 1000s of folks that have the confidence to go ahead and go straight to a SS and get injured or killed. Not one of them started out and intended to do this to themselves. But, it happenned. There is a reason insurance costs are out of this world and this in one of many factors.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 250 or 125 to start out on. Especially if you've never ridden before and want to start out right.

Of the people I know that "started" on a 600 on the street, they had several years of motorcross experience. The street is much different than dirt and going from a dirt bike to a SS are completely different animals. But, there learning curve was much smaller. Also, they had to break some bad habits that don't translate to the road too. Also, not all of them jumped on and did well. Some dropped their bikes just like a noob would.

Channel that curiousity to seriously consider a different bike to get started on. Also, budget for good gear, and keep in mind there are maintence costs associated to riding as well. This isn't a cheap hobby by any means.

Good luck.
    This is not true at all! I am 22 and my insurance is totally reasonable. Statefarm! Just make sure you insure your car aswell. My 600 is actually cheaper than my Accent, of course if you have tickets and acciedents then thats a different story, but then you also have bigger issues than getting a ****ing bike

WTF kind if question is this anyhow? What as your more likely to bin? I don't know, how new of a rider are you? I'd say equal chance. Sounds like you want a 600ss more than you want to learn to ride. How about this. If you can afford the insurance do whatever you want. You would think that someone who has read the threads about beginners bikes would look at all the options a head of them instead of just assuming that beginner means a 125 or250.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Hey there,
    When I started riding a few years back I went out and got a VFR 800.
    I have gone to Indy MotoGP twice on that’s bike, it’s been a great learner bike for me.
    It's also cheap on Insurance

That's an interesting looking bike what is it?
    I'm cheap I admit to that - its one reason why I want the F4i. Its the damn taxes etc. But I also kinda value not ending up getting injured. So I'm seriously considering the CBR125.
    That's a Yamaha WR250X, very streetable supermoto. If it wasn't a bit on the expensive side, it would make a great beginner bike for a taller rider (5'9-5'10 at least). A real blast, cheap on fuel/insurance, can still do highway speeds (you just don't wanna go on extended runs due to comfort issues), can take a few drops without costing you anything. If I had the spare cash, I would have bought one 2 seasons ago, but stuff keeps coming up and my '91 FZR600 has been serving me well, so I keep delaying the purchase.
    You can get injured on any bike. A 250 isn't much more likely to help the process than a 125.

In the interest of not losing money I'm thinking of going right into a 600cc bike. Otherwise I'll be out the $$ for taxes and depreciation.
    Go online to kijiji and autotrader and look at the prices of used 125's & 250's, you can snap one up and then sell it the next spring for a very small loss. A smaller lower powered bike will teach you speed management and technique and you can carry forward that experience to your next bike.

lol Seriously? how old are we talking here? Ok sure I'm 40 and ride a VFR800 but I have friends my age with a Duc 749 & 999, CBR600rr, gsxr750, and a husband & wife duo with gsxr 1000's And they can all ride the **** out of their bikes.
    I