Switching from sport to a dual sport? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching from sport to a dual sport?

Re: Switching from sport to a dual sport?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I am in the market for the same bike and I will tell you right now that you can't do that. I spent a lot of time on forums. Some have swapped a slightly larger wheel (18"?) but 21" will not work. The front brakes on the SMC is very different from the SXC. A 21" just won't clear. Your best BET, and mine, is to install proper dual sport tires and make the best of it.
    I believe the exhaust pipes are routed underneath the bike as well, so they'd need to be re-routed so you don't bash the hell out of them. In addition, the suspension is stiffer and has shorter travel. Also be aware that a 4 + hour road trip on a true dual sport is going to be rather unforgiving on your butt - even with a custom seat. Off-road is fine as you're out of the saddle most of the time. The wind blasting against your chest will be another new and fatiguing experience for you, unless you're coming from a naked bike. That is where the DR and KLR dominate as touring bikes. You'll find that your road trips become much shorter and sweeter and that you prefer 80km/h highways over 100km/h highways. That's where the DR and KLR dominate as touring bikes.

Re: Switching from sport to a dual sport?

I ride a mid size supermoto everyday, and i love it, i even take it on the hwy, and no problem, rips when it needs to, its got a suzuki DR200 engine, but its got alot more then the actual suzuki dr200. my maximum speed is 145kmh, and i know people say you have to hold it wot or pegged all the way, but its not tru, in fifth gear i turn the accel grip maybe 2/5 of the way and im already cruising at 120 kmh thats more then enough for day time hwy speeds, i've tested the crap out of my supermoto even for breaking in periods driving it in cold weather -17 wind chill, and no problems, except me frezzing my nutts off, i've rode my bike in the rain for 5 hours non stop to the point my shoes were drentched and i was completely wet, and the colour of my shoes came off, bike ran like a champ, i could never do what i do with a supermoto, with any other sport or super sport bike. If you have ever been on 404 at night you know speeds north on those are around 140kmh after midnight, i kept up with cars no problem, except after 15 mins, i was going to break into ice particles. I've passed trucks and yes there is some turbulance, but not much, im so used to it that i don't even notice it, i've been riding daily since March 15th, even in snow, so i'm used to the harsh winds, weather and conditions, and have got enough practice and ready for easy summer

I highly recomend get yourself a wr250X dual sport/motard or supermoto, what ever name you like calling it. I have no clue how fast my motard is, because it a 200cc, im not expecting to kill anything bike or super sports car, but i will say, when at a light, and i rip each gear to only 7'600rpms, i leave cars or traffic back in the dust, basically, dirt bikes, supermotos will leave most things to dust, but expect to only do that up to a certain speed.lol i know the wr250x has 6 speed, which is awesome for hwys i wish mine had that, but mines only 5 speed.

problems with bikes like drz400's and such, you'll pay for the brand name then alot more to make it street usuable like a supermoto, husq and other 650 cc motards are awsome, i would get one if i could, but as a first supermoto i highly recomend under 200 or 250, you will be so grateful, to learn the riding style on a motard, which is completely different from ss bikes. and trust me you will drop your bike a few times, if not just random those times you try to see what your bike can do, and go over. I love, mine, when i get stuck in heavy traffic, i just detour, and few side walks and islands that come in the way are a joke, i just giggle after the motard glides over them.lol

good luck on your buy, and welcome to the dark side