Cruiser Advice for Tall rider

Thread: Cruiser Advice for Tall rider

Cruiser Advice for Tall rider

I'm lookin at getting a cruiser bike...

"problem" is I'm 6'6 and 300+

looking at something for weekends and the odd evening ride...
    wife is normal size and has no intention of ever sitting on the bike... but i'd like to keep that option open...

lookin at 650cc+ and most people are saying go big or otherwise it wont be enough power, not lookin to change the bike after 1 season...

any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: Cruiser Advice for Tall rider

Hammer,

I'm not sure what options you have at the entry level segment of cruisers. I wouldn't say it's a power thing as much as comfort. Increased cc's typically are found in larger/longer frames that work better for larger folks.

I haven't riden one but, I know of a tall and large rider for a Suzuki C109. It's a big bike out of the box.

I know several HD riders of the big and tall, out of the box, they still seem a bit crowded but, with forward controls and tall boy seat and with the proper handle bar set up, they can be made to fit just about anyone. Then again, for each modification, comes a costs. It aint cheap when it comes to HD.

I'd put up a wanted listing and keep your eye open. There are big fellas out there that have already spent the money to make their bikes fit and looking for a change. They also have a hard time selling because their bikes aren't really set up well for the average rider either.

I know of a 2002 Wide Glide listed in New Jersey for $6800. Has 10k miles and set up for a big fella. Think the guy might have just listed in ebay. If you want more info, PM me. Cheers man and good luck.

If you are a big guy, you need a big bike.
    I,m a big guy too and this is what I have.
    http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...g-ar49930.html
    Its the biggest production cruiser in the world, will smoke any Harley and keep up with most sportsbikes,unless you include the Boss Hoss ,but thats a different animal altogether.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Look at dual sports. They sit much higher and would be more comfortable. They also come in a range of engine sizes. Your first bike will not be your last, so I wouldn't worry about buying a small bike to learn on. There are also problems with starting too big, and many people buy big and then sell it after a season, because it just isn't the right bike for what they want to do with a bike! Your first bike's primary purpose should be to learn on. The risk of an accident decreases as you gain knowlege in the first year and then starts increasing for the second and third years, as you begin to take your skills for granted and become cocky. The other things that a first bike should have would be easy maintainability to get you into the habit, and a tolerance for punishment, in case you drop it. Dual sports are well suited for those reasons as well. The last thing you want is to have to change six spark plugs your first time, or to drop the bike and scratch the chrome or smash the fairings.

Is it your first bike? Hammer did not say.
    If it is then forget the bike I mentioned or a Harley.
    Get an older Honda Shadow or something for your first bike

Many of my friends are the same size as you, they all ride big bikes for a reason.
    You need to look at something with at least 1200cc, regardless of brand.
    If you want a Harley, there are plenty of almost new used ones on sale.
    Big man needs a big bike, not a friggin 650 anything.

it would be a first bike...

Welcome!
    Well, you gotta fit on the darn thing, right? If you're in the gta area head to the bike show this weekend and sit on some, they have a huge used bike market and all the new bikes so it's one stop shopping. There is a gta booth as well, stop by and say hi, I'll be there on Sunday.
    Almost any bike you buy will probably need some mod's, controls, seat and bars will help stretch the bike to fit you and doesn't have to cost a fortune. For a first bike think older and that it is a learning curve bike. Chances are you will drop it at some point. Make a budget and check insurance rates before putting any money down on a bike, but most important... get out there and dive into the lyfestyle!
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

I agree with the earlier post: look at dual-sports. My first bike was a KLR and I can't think of a better bike to learn on: ez to ride, ez to own and sledgehammer reliable. It's also very comfy for us normal, full-sized dudes (ahem! ... I'm 6'2" 250+LBS btw). PLUS you can find relative bargains out there. Now she ain't perty and granted if you were looking at cruisers this may matter to you, but learn to ride first and THEN buy the perty, shiny bike for your second one. Don't be thrown off by the "it's a dirt bike" thing ... it handles amazingly (it WILL scrape pegs ... heck you're 6'6"; you might scrape your elbows) and performs better around town than any "1000CC or less" cruisers. Good luck.

Your a big guy, if your looking for a keeper go big, Look at, and sit on some bigboys, see how they feel. The hole start small thing is load of crap, I'm still driveing the first bike I ever rode, 700lb, 1340cc. Common sence on the road go's allot futher than a small bike. A 250cc is just as dangerous as a 1500 if your a bad driver.
    1990 Fatboy
    Stage 3 EVO

I'm 6'3 and ride a bmw r1150rt. The seat height is adjustable and at its lowest setting I'm not my toes. BMW's all seem crazy tall when you get on them.
    Go around to a bunch of places and try on as many bikes as you can. My friends and I that ride have found that you'll get on a bike and know right away its the right fit.
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

I am 350 and 6'-2 and ride a Suzuki M50- I find it ultra comfy with the following changes-
    1-Change the seat to a Mustang brand sooooo much better than stock.
    2-a Johns forward control kit moves the controls 3-1/2" forward amking the leg position far nicer.
    I love the bike..even with a passenger it hauls very very competently yet very nimble and easy to handle.
    Good luck..
    Dave