Port Dover, Every Friday the 13th (Friday May 13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Dover, Every Friday the 13th (Friday May 13)

Port Dover, Every Friday the 13th (Friday May 13)

I've never been, and was wondering if anyone else was interested in making this trip. Let's set something up, i'm thinking something casual as i'm sure the popo will be out in full force on this day as it has been a tradition for years and years.
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

Re: Port Dover, Every Friday the 13th (Friday May 13)

I've never been either. I'm a little worried the popo will be doing exhaust DB checks

Says only 2.5hr drive from my house. Looks like it would be fun =)

If you put something together I'm in. If you're going to work on a fun router to get to/from there, look at that "best motorcycle roads in ontario" map.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

might check it out this year just to say I've gone and done it.

Other than bikes, bikes and more bikes, don't expect much, if you've never been.
    Friday the 13th has been cancelled by event organizers.
    There were numerous vendors in yrs past that won't be there. Not to mention portable washrooms and a **** load of other things that will NOT be happening next month, or any future Friday the 13th's.
    No doubt about it, thousands will still show up. I'll be one of them.

The committee responsible for organizing the massive Friday the 13th motorcycle rallies in Port Dover on behalf of Norfolk County has folded.
    The directors of PD13 filed a letter of resignation with Mayor Dennis Travale on Monday.
    The move means Norfolk's community services department will have to use in-house resources to organize the next big rally scheduled for May. Till now, PD13 has provided organizing services free of charge.
    Director Bob Dixon, of Port Ryerse, says PD13 folded because the community was no longer working together to stage the rally. So long as community groups in Port Dover allowed PD13 to negotiate beer concessions with the major brewers, the committee made enough money to pay the costs of organizing the rally with some left over for community projects.However, this understanding broke down in the run-up to last August's massive rally, which attracted more than 100,000 visitors and more than 15,000 motorcycles. PD13 and the Port Dover Lions Club negotiated a bulk purchasing deal with Molson's. Meanwhile, the Port Dover Board of Trade and the Port Dover Kinsmen negotiated their own deal for their own events with Labatt's.
    "The county tries to share the costs with us, but we're going to end up paying all the bills," Dixon said last night. "It makes it tough when everyone goes against you."
    As early as May of 2010, PD13 president Keith Swarts, of Port Dover, warned that there was no incentive to keep the volunteer committee in place if it was only going to lose money. Swarts told Norfolk council last spring that PD13 was in danger of going in the red if it lost control of the beer concession.
    Last night, Kevin Lichach, general manager of Norfolk's community services department, said the county will be able to carry on without PD13. The committee, he said, has left behind a blueprint for staging a proper festival.
    "They have left us in good shape," Lichach said. "They have left us a lot of organization -- a lot of things we can cut and paste."
    Lichach added that the county intends to organize the May rally in "partnership" with key community groups in Port Dover. How that will unfold will come to Norfolk council by way of a report in the run-up to the May 13 event.
    Money raised by PD13 has helped pay the county's costs for portable toilets, parking supervision, the post-rally cleanup, and the cost of printing and distributing special passes for those who need to enter the no-drive zone on the day of the event
    Last edited by Gary; 04-02-2011 at 01:12 PM.

I'll be going.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

PD13 had a pretty large booth at the bike show last weekend for a non-existent committee.

That being said, I will be going.
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

Port Dover 2010.

Been there twice.

The drive in is cool especially when you join a large group of bikes. People line the streets in the small towns sitting on their lawn chairs watching the bikes drive by. The cops stop the cars a few miles from town and tell them to park in the corn field and wait for the shuttle bus. All motorcycles get the welcome in wave...It is so cool to pull into town and see the thousands of custom bikes and people.

Last edited by SeaBreez; 04-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

never been either but interesting in riding there as a group!

Will join the convoy in Burlington. Never been but always wished i had. This may be the year.

I would like to come, but most likely ill be working that day

Go afterwork, that's what I had been doing. It is much easier to get in when the peak wave is passed in the late afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    I would like to come, but most likely ill be working that day

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Other than bikes, bikes and more bikes, don't expect much, if you've never been.
    Friday the 13th has been cancelled by event organizers.
    There were numerous vendors in yrs past that won't be there. Not to mention portable washrooms and a **** load of other things that will NOT be happening next month, or any future Friday the 13th's.
    No doubt about it, thousands will still show up. I'll be one of them.

Long time resident here.

Don't kid yourself....things may be shuffled, but it won't change. The PD13 group was almost pushed out anyway.

The outside perception of this change seems exagerated compared to those that are local here. The county and vendors will continue to run the same show and make the profits....as they always have (despite not officially).
    Last edited by NRAGED; 04-03-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    05' 600RR - SOLD
    07' 600RR - SOLD
    11' VEGAS Stage 2
    12' GT500 Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    I've never been either. I'm a little worried the popo will be doing exhaust DB checks

-Jamie M.
    The amount of bikes here on any given weekend gives them plenty of opportunity to enforce this...which they don't. Most residents here who ride, have loud obnoxious exhaust without concern. I have heard of no bylaw changes and no enforcement. I wouldn't worry. PD13 is also a bit of a special bike "show" event, so some things are usually ignored on these days (example: bar heights and lack of lights). We'll see you here next month.
    05' 600RR - SOLD
    07' 600RR - SOLD
    11' VEGAS Stage 2
    12' GT500 Shelby

Thumbs up Re: Port Dover, Every Friday the 13th (Friday May 13)

I've never been, took the day off this year and will be attending.
    If anyone is orgenizing a ride leaving from North York count me in
    Its all fun and games untill someone losses an eye!!..........then its a sport!

Quote Originally Posted by NRAGED View Post
    Long time resident here.

Don't kid yourself....things may be shuffled, but it won't change. The PD13 group was almost pushed out anyway.

The outside perception of this change seems exagerated compared to those that are local here. The county and vendors will continue to run the same show and make the profits....as they always have (despite not officially).
    How will the vendors get permits?
    One vendor I know is unable. He's had a booth for at least 5 or 6 yrs. He won't be there next month.

Who's in charge of hiring all the extra OPP?
    Will they still be giving y'all (residents) a daily pass for non 2 wheeled vehicles?
    Who's footing the bill for portables?
    Will the burnout box be back?
    How many vendors do you expect in the park, and streetside?
    Who's in charge of selling vendor spots along the canal?

I'll still be there, just like I have for the last 42 out of 50 (roughly).
    I don't expect the same 'side show' though.

Gary, you ask too many questions.

Are you a cop?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Gary, you ask too many questions.

Are you a cop?
    Yes........yes I am (in a Jon Lovitz voice).........pull over.

Actually, I'm just hungry for knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    How will the vendors get permits?
    One vendor I know is unable. He's had a booth for at least 5 or 6 yrs. He won't be there next month.

Who's in charge of hiring all the extra OPP?
    Will they still be giving y'all (residents) a daily pass for non 2 wheeled vehicles?
    Who's footing the bill for portables?
    Will the burnout box be back?
    How many vendors do you expect in the park, and streetside?
    Who's in charge of selling vendor spots along the canal?

I'll still be there, just like I have for the last 42 out of 50 (roughly).
    I don't expect the same 'side show' though.
    The county and the Board of Trade has assumed all duties, and should have a long time ago. They haven't until now, because someone else was footing the bill. My feeling is..collect taxes from event, and have someone else foot the bill and plan it....lol...t'was a good deal.

Vendor Permits avail through County...see link ==> http://www.pd13.com/
    05' 600RR - SOLD
    07' 600RR - SOLD
    11' VEGAS Stage 2
    12' GT500 Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by NRAGED View Post
    The county and the Board of Trade has assumed all duties, and should have a long time ago. They haven't until now, because someone else was footing the bill. My feeling is..collect taxes from event, and have someone else foot the bill and plan it....lol...t'was a good deal.

Vendor Permits avail through County...see link ==> http://www.pd13.com/
    Good & bad! Bad, because I know the burnout box won't be back - yet.
    That link must be as fresh as a daisy.
    Last week, www.pd13.com had info from prior events. No PDF for vendors, and nothing for 2011. I see the new site is "under construction".
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm going to let someone know about this, who, atm is unaware.
    I don't think he bothered to order enough crappy leather to make a go of it though.

What time would y'all roll at? Just wondering if I need to book the first half the day off