Helmets

Thread: Helmets

Helmets

I need to get a new helmet this spring to replace my pooched on.
    What are the rules for ECE 22-05 vs DOT vs SNELL? My buddy was going to ship me this sweet one from the UK but its only ECE, not SNELL.
    Last edited by Banger; 04-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Re: Helmets

Strictly for drag racing or for street also?

If it's strictly for drag racing test-and-tune and you will never use it on the street then my observation has been that if it looks like a helmet then it's good to go, but it might be different if you are competing in actual sanctioned events and there is an actual, real tech inspection. I don't know what their requirements are. I know that for roadracing, Snell 2010, ECE 22-05, and BSI are all acceptable, and what's good for roadracing ought to be good for drag racing.

It's something of a different matter if it's going to be used on the street (probably, right? Or not?) because then it has to be DOT approved. The ECE standard is not recognized in North America by the legal authorities. On the other hand, DOT is meaningless in Europe.

If it's a Europe-only brand then it might be ECE only ... not legal here. If it's a brand sold both in Europe and North America then it might carry both ECE and DOT ... which is fine. But, some helmet manufacturers build different helmets for each market, so it's not guaranteed.

Bottom line; find out if it has the DOT marking in addition to ECE 22-05. If it has the DOT marking, it is good to go. If there is no DOT marking, it won't be legal on the road.

I believe here in Ontario is has to be DOT or Snell.
    I may be wrong though and not afraid to be corrected if someone is 100% sure on what the rules are.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Banned

2. The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the,

(a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;

(b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;

(c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute; or

(d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer's certification of compliance with the standard. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2.
    it must be SNELL, CSI, DOT, or BSI approved.

iirc, most tracks organizations accept ECE as well

This would be for racing only. Thanks guys!