First Post - Advice Please - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Post - Advice Please

Re: First Post - Advice Please

Back in the day, I started out on a Kawasaki KH 100.... a 100cc two stroker! Great starter bike! Since then I have owned a Honda 360, Suzuki 550, Kawi Ninja 1000, Yamaha FZ1, two - Yamaha FJR1300s and now am riding a Kawasaki Concours 14. I've also ridden Harleys, Goldwings, and a variety of other kinds of bikes. The V twin bikes are seriously deficient on power, so I imagine that a 650 V-twin wouldn't be too far out of line for a new rider (whereas a 600CC sportbike definitely is waaaay to much for a beginner!) On the down side... you might think that cruiser style is going to be super comfortable, but they are usually not. IMHO, The best bikes for all around riding are those on which your feet are under your hips and your upper body is bent slightly forward. This allows your weight to be distributed over your whole butt and legs instead of just your tailbone. It also allows you to get up on the pegs if there is a really rough road - something you cannot do on a cruiser without seriously affecting the stability of the bike.

Bottom line here is... don't get stuck on a cruiser and totally dismiss the sporty kind of bikes .... try out a Honda 125 or a Kawasaki 250. I think Kawasaki and Suzuki also make a 500 twin that is worth checking out.... and of course, there are a variety of naked bikes and the Suzuki V-Strom 650 that you would probably be very happy with for a few years.

Just my $0.02!

PS: Make sure you get some decent gear... a full-faced helmet is a must and a decent riding jacket, pants, boots and gloves.
    Last edited by ike; 04-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ike View Post
    Back in the day, I started out on a Kawasaki KH 100.... a 100cc two stroker! Great starter bike! Since then I have owned a Honda 360, Suzuki 550, Kawi Ninja 1000, Yamaha FZ1, two - Yamaha FJR1300s and now am riding a Kawasaki Concours 14. I've also ridden Harleys, Goldwings, and a variety of other kinds of bikes. The V twin bikes are seriously deficient on power, so I imagine that a 650 V-twin wouldn't be too far out of line for a new rider (whereas a 600CC sportbike definitely is waaaay to much for a beginner!) On the down side... you might think that cruiser style is going to be super comfortable, but they are usually not. IMHO, The best bikes for all around riding are those on which your feet are under your hips and your upper body is bent slightly forward. This allows your weight to be distributed over your whole butt and legs instead of just your tailbone. It also allows you to get up on the pegs if there is a really rough road - something you cannot do on a cruiser without seriously affecting the stability of the bike.

Bottom line here is... don't get stuck on a cruiser and totally dismiss the sporty kind of bikes .... try out a Honda 125 or a Kawasaki 250. I think Kawasaki and Suzuki also make a 500 twin that is worth checking out.... and of course, there are a variety of naked bikes and the Suzuki V-Strom 650 that you would probably be very happy with for a few years.

Just my $0.02!

PS: Make sure you get some decent gear... a full-faced helmet is a must and a decent riding jacket, pants, boots and gloves.
    Very good points.

Just had a look at Suzuki's website and they are still advertising 2009 bikes, so you might get a great deal on a brand new bike. Have a look at their "standards" here http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product%20Line...9&view=gallery and their "dual sports" (ie: V-Strom) here http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product%20Line...9&view=gallery

The Kawasaki Versys might be worth checking out. Probably a bit too much power for a first time rider, but it got great reviews for handling etc. Kawasaki is offering cash credits and 4.9% 60 mo. financing and they too appear to have unsold older bikes.

Here's something I just found on a Harley site.
    Kinda sounds like your situation.
    http://www.hdforums.com/forum/genera...ll-update.html
    Good Luck!

Kim
    Red Knights-Ont 15

Thanks again for all the comments. I am still holding off on making the purchase being Saturday morning and all. What I did learn this past week is that the Suzuki M50 won me over....even compared to the Vulcan. I fit better on it, plus I thought it looked pretty sweet. Now I am beginning to think about a few of the comments.....even on the Cruiser forum, I'm seeing suggestions that perhaps the Sport bikes are worth a look?
    The reason I decided to look at a Cruiser for my first bike was because it seemed that is what most of my type (mid-life crisis middle-agers), were into....plus I like chrome and the sound of cruisers. I also see the recommendation to hold off until I actually take the course on Easter weekend....which makes sense. I was just worried about the prices going up as the weather improves. Perhaps I'll look at that style today...sorry for the dumb question, but Sport Bike and Crotch Rocket are the same thing, correct? They just didn't look too comfortable to me and it appeared mostly younger people ride them.
    What a learning curve I'm on since I joined this forum!! Thanks again.

Riding a motorcycle is Not an economical hobby! Don't worry about prices, there is always something out there, just sometimes a bit harder to find.

Don't overlook Standard bikes or Adventure Bikes. Standard bike like the GS500 make a great entry level bike, easy to handle and easy to own. Adventure bikes are great general purpose bikes. They tend to be a little on the tall side but are bikes that don't limit you to any particular type of riding. The riding position is upright and very comfortable and are generally fun enought that you can ride through all kinds of roads.

Well known examples are the Suzuki V-Strom, BMW GS line (650, 800 and 1200[?]) but there are other bikes like the Kawasaki Versys which are at the edge of the category. The motors tend to be less "peaky" than a sport bike so are easy to ride, and the upright sitting position makes them great commuters and all day riders.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by SimcoeSpeed View Post
    Thanks again for all the comments. I am still holding off on making the purchase being Saturday morning and all. What I did learn this past week is that the Suzuki M50 won me over....even compared to the Vulcan. I fit better on it, plus I thought it looked pretty sweet. Now I am beginning to think about a few of the comments.....even on the Cruiser forum, I'm seeing suggestions that perhaps the Sport bikes are worth a look?
    The reason I decided to look at a Cruiser for my first bike was because it seemed that is what most of my type (mid-life crisis middle-agers), were into....plus I like chrome and the sound of cruisers. I also see the recommendation to hold off until I actually take the course on Easter weekend....which makes sense. I was just worried about the prices going up as the weather improves. Perhaps I'll look at that style today...sorry for the dumb question, but Sport Bike and Crotch Rocket are the same thing, correct? They just didn't look too comfortable to me and it appeared mostly younger people ride them.
    What a learning curve I'm on since I joined this forum!! Thanks again.
    try different bikes at the course. also there is more than just sport bikes and cruisers, you have sport touring, standards, adventure bikes, super moto and others. cc is going to have a huge impact on insurance and bikes that have different engine configurations have different power outputs. i'd look at something like the ninja 500 or suzuki gs500 (both are standards/UJMs, don't be fooled by the ninja name). they are both bikes that aren't too silly with the power yet still have enough oomph to get you into trouble.
    x

Had a weekend of checking out the "standard" type of bikes. They certainly aren't as pleasing to the eye or ear and I didn't get the "excitement" when walking up to them. However, I have to admit, they certainly felt like a better fit underneath me and I think I'll now get one of these as my first bike. My Motorcycle Safety Course is comming up next weekend and am looking forward to actually being able to ride a bike for the first time.
    I sat on a Ninga 500 and a Suzuki GS 500. Both were 08"s with less than 5K on them and less than 5K in price. Much lighter than the cruisers and I liked having my feet below me rather than out in front. I also liked the fact that there would be a lot less to wreck on this style if I was to have the misfortune of dropping it. The Ninga felt lighter than the GS and I liked the look a little more as well. Still want a cruiser...but I think I'll sharpen my teeth on a Standard style for this summer. You guys and gals were great in providing me your input and opening my eyes to the options out there. Thanks to MacDoc for the suggestion of looking at the Burgmans...but I think I'll pass..maybe later...I can't get used to that look!!
    I'm going to check with my insurance company tomorrow on the price to insure the Ninga vs the GS....like I said, I'm leaning towards the Ninga...but the Insurance company might cause me to lean towards the GS.

If you want a standard style bike that might give you that "excitement" take a look at Triumph Bonneville, and MotoGuzzi V7 Classic, and Ducati Monster 620/696. All 3 are tame anough and light enough to learn on, but big and powerful enough to keep you happy for at least a few yrs, if not forever.

SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Yeah - the look of the Maxi's is hard to get over. Once ridden for a season - rarely abandoned. There was one rider on the main Burgman site who bailed for a season to a ST Beemer and switched back.
    For those lucky sods in the US with cheap insurance, the Burgman is often their commuter ride and fits either under a big tourer ( sucks around town ) or along side an all out sports ride. ( no storage ).

The Ninja's are a good choice and don't attract the heavy insurance premiums - something to check thoroughly BEFORE buying. There are often model dedicated forums that are excellent as well.
    They also retain value as they are in some demand so you can switch out without too much grief if you buy used. I'd try and take an experienced rider along if buying used. Not sure how practical it is tho for you.

Before you plunge, vet your choice here and you may find some owners willing to give tips on what to watch for in your choice of rides. 500 - 650 is a great size even long term. Don't over look the 400s as they cost less, cost less to insure and are a treat to ride.

Have fun, be safe.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 04-17-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

OP -> I really liked seeing your last post!!!

Here is my opinion on this. GS500e or f, Ninja500 are probably 2 of THE BEST bikes to start on! You are a BEGINNER forget about your dream bike for a second. Get something that is:
    1- comfortable
    2- confidence inspiring
    3- gives you a fun ride

1 - IMO, cruisers aren't really all that comfortable, a slightly forward lean is better IMO.... that's why all the true long distance machines (Goldwing R1200RT, FJR) all have a slightly forward lean... but they are all huge so forget about them for now anyway.

2 - I did it wrong, I started off on a 600ss.... ya I got by, but then I bought a GS500e as a beater and WOW that thing was so much more confidence inspiring. The tank is smaller, the ergonomics are more newbie friendly etc etc... This is important. You get on a huge cruiser (and even the 600cc ones are pretty big) and it isn't beginner friendly. Guys will tell you they've started on X bike or Y bike and truthfully you can start on ANYTHING, BUUUUUT.... you learn a lot more a lot more quickly when you start off on a smaller bike. Your skills will increase at a faster rate.

3 - Lastly.... is a bike really about looks? Is it really about image? Is it really about what others are riding? Maybe to some it is, however to me a bike is about THE RIDE. I don't care if my bike looks like a hunk of junk, but if it puts a grin on my face, then THAT is what is important. It isn't about the BIKE it is about THE RIDE!!!! Plus, to non riding folks, they don't know the freaking difference between a moped and a motorcycle anyway. A smaller motorcycle that doesn't freak you out, that is more comfortable to ride on will make you smile more AND THAT is what it's all about.

Just remember that whatever you get, wear good gear and practice practice practice.... if you are riding at 100kph you better know how to emergency brake from that speed.... so you need to practice that in a safe place.

Oh and one more thing.... ANYTHING with 2 cylinders and 500cc+ has MORE THAN enough power for 2 up touring in the mountains, if you happened to want to give it a go. A couple of years ago I put my wife on the back of a rental F650GS (I still prefer the sitting position of a GS500 or Ninja500) which only has 1 cylinder and not much power and we went touring up and down the Pyrenees. PLENTY of power.... for street riding one really doesn't need much more.

Picture: 1cyl 50hp on a good day... 2 up in the Pyrenees F650GS.... more than enough oomp, but I still think the GS and EX500 are better bikes for a newbie.
    Last edited by Metastable; 04-18-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SimcoeSpeed View Post
    Had a weekend of checking out the "standard" type of bikes. They certainly aren't as pleasing to the eye or ear and I didn't get the "excitement" when walking up to them. However, I have to admit, they certainly felt like a better fit underneath me and I think I'll now get one of these as my first bike. My Motorcycle Safety Course is comming up next weekend and am looking forward to actually being able to ride a bike for the first time.
    I sat on a Ninga 500 and a Suzuki GS 500. Both were 08"s with less than 5K on them and less than 5K in price. Much lighter than the cruisers and I liked having my feet below me rather than out in front. I also liked the fact that there would be a lot less to wreck on this style if I was to have the misfortune of dropping it. The Ninga felt lighter than the GS and I liked the look a little more as well. Still want a cruiser...but I think I'll sharpen my teeth on a Standard style for this summer. You guys and gals were great in providing me your input and opening my eyes to the options out there. Thanks to MacDoc for the suggestion of looking at the Burgmans...but I think I'll pass..maybe later...I can't get used to that look!!
    I'm going to check with my insurance company tomorrow on the price to insure the Ninga vs the GS....like I said, I'm leaning towards the Ninga...but the Insurance company might cause me to lean towards the GS.
    the harley sportster and triumph bonneville give the cruiser look that you like with the standard seating position http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...omparison_test

ironically a lot of the 80s bikes have that same look/configuration (chrome with standard seating positon), the honda cb series, yamaha xj, suzuki gs and kawi kz series come to mind (it seemed like in the 80s everyone was chroming everything).

my experience with insurance companies is aside from comprehensive and if the bike is a supersport the main determining factor from bike to bike is cc. I got quoted the same for my 83 750 xj as i did for my 91 750 vfr (both same engine size).
    x

some models are blacklisted CG - and that differs from company to company -

•••••

Lastly.... is a bike really about looks? Is it really about image? Is it really about what others are riding? Maybe to some it is, however to me a bike is about THE RIDE. I don't care if my bike looks like a hunk of junk, but if it puts a grin on my face, then THAT is what is important. It isn't about the BIKE it is about THE RIDE!!!!
    plus 1000 - you bet - it's the ride and the grin factor. I've had sore cheek muscles from the grin factor in the PA Twisties.....especially trying to keep up with Jay ...
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Took the Safety Course this past weekend with CMA in Hamilton and it was worth every penny. The class was comprised of people mostly 40+ yrs and we all came from different walks of life, but had one common element, wanting to try something new, biking. The instructors were very patient and helpful. This was my first exposure to actually riding a bike and it's quite challenging. Lots of things going on at once, both hands and feet are used to work controls, keeping your balance and staying aware of your surroundings at all times.....talk about multi-tasking!!! They say it'll become all naturally instinctive in time....I hope they're right!!! Two students dropped their bikes....looked painful. They instictively tried to hold on to them when they were wheellying away...OUCH!!
    I was a nervous wreck at the beginning of the course, but by Sunday afternoon, I had a perm-smile on and didn't want to park my Honda 100cc that they supplied me with for the weekend.
    I'm picking up my first bike tomorrow; a 2008 Suzuki GS500. It feels like Christmas time to me right now; can hardly wait.
    Thanks to the posters to this thread, your words of wisdom were greatly appreciated.

Nice - take your time. Read the owners manual if you have it..... start off by washing the bike... even if it is already clean, as you will start seeing little things that you start to get curious about.... and you get to know your bike better and better. The nice thing about the GS500 (I dunno if you have the e = naked or f = fairings, but either one of them is easy to work on. It takes two seconds to pull the spark plugs, and even if you decided to venture and do a valve check, it is fairly easy. Plus it is a shim over bucked design, so it is easy to replace the shims as well.

OK... maybe we are getting a bit over your head here, but the point is that not only is that bike a great bike to learn on, but it is an easy bike to work on as well.