Help me plan my epic trip of a lifetime! Toronto->California and back in 15 days!

Thread: Help me plan my epic trip of a lifetime! Toronto->California and back in 15 days!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Help me plan my epic trip of a lifetime! Toronto->California and back in 15 days!

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    I seriously doubt you can do 1500 km's in a day. 1000 km's perhaps, 1500 extremely unlikely on a bike.

As to your revised route. Instead of coming back almost the same way, why not head a bit north? I would head up the coast in California, cross over near Reno and then maybe swing through South Dakota etc. Your revised routing has quite a bit of boring stretches, and overlaps, why not break it up? Also to me it is criminal to come to California and not ride up the PCH. The one stretch up near Santa Barbara is listed as one of the top 10 motorcycle rides in North America - to be so close and not ride it is just wrong (in my opinion).
    I've done 1000kms of twisties+highway before so 1500km is doable...whether I'll keep my sanity is a different story.

The overlap is due to time constraints. I could take a different highway back, but it will still be straight and boring.

I've heard of PCH before but I didnt know it was the top 10 motorcycle rides. If thats the case I'll incorporate it for sure but I'll have to do some major changes to my route.

My dilemma is that I want to ride most of the route highlighted in Colorado, see the canyons of Utah, and visit all the route highlighted in Arizona...but also do many of the recommended routes.

I'm thinking maybe I should just do Moab->Canyonland National Park back up to Moab for the Utah leg, and take the road West to San Fran to ride the PCH. In the new route I'd be able to see the Salt Flats too. Do you recommend riding highway 1 from San Fran to LA? Or go through the parks such as Sierra/Yosomite to switch it up? I remember seeing a sign posted that was 135mi of twisties or something like that and that road is somewhere in those parks. I do want to see Rushmore at South Dakota but again the issue is time.

What do you think?

Roughly this route: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,10.821533&z=7
    Last edited by Wheelieboy; 04-02-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)