lane splitting / filtering - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lane splitting / filtering

Re: lane splitting / filtering

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Person is caught speeding at 51 over and is charged under HTA172. Plea-bargains it down to 40 over in court. Does that mean that he was overcharged in the first place? How does g4getmoney's situation really differ?
    no, it doesn't differ in the slightest. In both situations it was a case of overcharging, by my definition, because HTA 172 was at all involved. Speeding is speeding. Splitting is splitting. Neither is "racing", nor "stunting."

Institutionalized over charging is still over charging. But we've been through that more times than i care to number.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

It cannot be said any clearer ... yet it will come up many more times in the future. Why? Because it can be ...

Bumba clot. didn't know the penalties were so severe. I did it a bit last year...I'm not going to even think about doing it this year.
    Z ex six are

It's legal in California. I'm heading there in August for a little ride up the coast. When I went there 5 years ago had a great time splitting and filtering. Makes it much easier to get around, and the drivers fully expect it.

Banned

and the drivers fully expect it.
    which is why it is a stupid decision to do here

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by mcarr99 View Post
    It's legal in California. I'm heading there in August for a little ride up the coast. When I went there 5 years ago had a great time splitting and filtering. Makes it much easier to get around, and the drivers fully expect it.
    Just be careful. There are areas where the locals do NOT split, because it is too dangerous, with multiple lanes trying to merge and criss cross each other.
    Also, the safe ones don't split between two trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    which is why it is a stupid decision to do here
    Precisely. If it ever becomes legal here, you won't find me doing it for at least the first 5 years. Let someone else be the statistic.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I find splitting really dangerous even in Cali where it's legal. I do however feel that flitering at a red light is harmless (if done slowly and carefully).

'02 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    From my recollection: someone claimed to have talked their way out of every police stop (he only filters/not splits downtown) and one reference was made to someone having been charged with street racing.

Best to post in the law section and give Rob a chance to reply. This topic comes up every year.
    I guess you are talking about me. I was stopped for filtering by a high rank police officer. He spoke to me about the dangers of such action. I explained that I thought that filtering is permitted as that is what I read read on the local motorcycle forum. He stated that if it wasn't for my loud exhaust (two brothers on VTR) he would not see me coming and expressed his interest in motorcycles. After 3 min conversation he let me go, warned however that:

NO LANE SPLITTING AND NO FILTERING IS ALLOWED UNDER HTA AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED BY PATROL OFFICERS.

So I pass this me message to you as you will not be lucky to run into a suited officer in an unmarked cruiser who is a motorcycle rider to give you a friendly advice instead of a $2000 tickets and a tow.

NO FILTERING AT NO CIRCUMSTANCE for me since then (in Canada).
    http://www.arcadius.ca/

1964 Junak M10, 2000 Bandit 1200

In the country about 20 mins from Cambridge

i too have heard this... so say you are riding downtown and there is 4 lanes (2 lanes of traffic each direction) and the curb lane has cars parked in it, Would you be able to legally ride in that lane because the other cars are parked(it could be dangerous because you have to watch for doors opening or people merging over to park) but im not talking safety factor or asking if you guys would do it or not but can someone please clarify if this would be a legal action?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayao12 View Post
    I've read in the HTA that filtering/lane-sharing is allowed when a car is parked on the right side or if a vehicle is making a right turn.
    But then again my comment is useless without citation =P I'll find it and post it up =D

If it's a true lane, not just extra space with parking spaces painted in it, then it should be legal to use. The problem that you have is, not only are you having to watch you don't get the "door prize", you also have to watch for vehicles that need to park or turn right. It's an untenable position, in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoth View Post
    I find splitting really dangerous even in Cali where it's legal. I do however feel that flitering at a red light is harmless (if done slowly and carefully).
    It all depends on how and where you split. The CHP recommends you split traffic only when it is moving at 20 mph or less. I do it all the time at red lights but never if between 2 trucks. On the highways or streets when not at a light, I only do it if the traffic is stopped or barely moving. Most people move out of your way when they see you try to get through; rarely a jerk will cut over to block you but that may happen only once every couple of weeks.

The first few months I was here I rarely split. Now that I know the roads, the general traffic flow on the major roads I take, I am more comfortable doing splitting. When people comment on coming to California to ride, I always add a caveat about splitting - start on city streets at traffic lights first. Doing so on the 405 at rush hour is way different that doing so on a downtown street with little traffic.

Is it dangerous - perhaps, but to me it is no more dangerous than sitting at a red light waiting for someone to crash into the back of me because they are texting or putting on make-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If it's a true lane, not just extra space with parking spaces painted in it, then it should be legal to use. The problem that you have is, not only are you having to watch you don't get the "door prize", you also have to watch for vehicles that need to park or turn right. It's an untenable position, in most situations.
    Sorry to bump, but like with everything, while it might be "legal" you may still get a cop who writes you a ticket for that exact matter, thus wasting your time.
    Last edited by toastywaffles; 05-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    '05 EX-500

Quote Originally Posted by mcarr99 View Post
    Actually, as far as I know it's not legal in Cali, it's just not illegal. People can and do get ticketed for it there but it depends on the cop, the area and the situation.

In California no law explicitly and clearly prohibits lane splitting, and significantly, it has become the traditional policy of law enforcement, the courts, and the public in California to tolerate it when it is done safely. However, those engaged in unsafe behavior, including unsafe lane splitting, can still be cited for violating certain sections of the vehicle code.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

Quote Originally Posted by redridernl View Post
    Actually, as far as I know it's not legal in Cali, it's just not illegal. People can and do get ticketed for it there but it depends on the cop, the area and the situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting
    You are correct; it simply isn't explicitly illegal. You can be ticketed for it, if an officer believes that you were not doing it in a safe manner.

I have done the filtering thing before and if I slowly roll by a cop they will usually yell at me to get back in line or show me a no no with thier hand. I have never been pulled over for it. I dont this all the time, only once in a blue moon. I get more **** from other drivers on the road who love to voice thier opinions about it when I pass 20 cars and pull up in the front next to them.

I got yelled/"pulled" over this morning heading to work for filtering...

cops were doing traffic light duty as the traffic light wasn't working...thought I could make a left turn and a cruiser was parked at the left lane...

filtered my way through towards the front and the popo yelled at me, told me to turn off the bike, put the kickstand down.

Long story short, I told him thought I could make the left and I filtered safely as traffic wasn't moving etc etc.

He gave me a warning and that was that.

Would I filter again? Yes I would.

Just not going to filter again when there are 4 cruisers present
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vince492 View Post
    If you don't know why lane splitting is illegal (and dangerous) pay yourself a flight to the city of Rome...Its easier to put lane splitting illegal than to make a rule for every single situation. Over there (rome) scooter and motorcycle are just going crazy on the road, around 90% of motorcycles and cars have scratches...its not for nothing....they also drive|ride like a bunch of idiot but that is a different story!
    I have ridden in Rome....it's not at all that bad. In fact with all their tight twisty roads it works extremely well.

BTW filtering in Rome is perfectly safe, the problem is more to do with lane splitting, and those are 2 different things!
    Last edited by alaywa; 06-09-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    From my recollection: someone claimed to have talked their way out of every police stop (he only filters/not splits downtown) and one reference was made to someone having been charged with street racing.

Best to post in the law section and give Rob a chance to reply. This topic comes up every year.
    Maybe he's talking about me.

Been pulled over 6 times so far for it.

4 times explained my way out of it, going through the HTA clauses (I keep on my phone), explaining my judgment on safety (which is important when refering to 154), and also explaining my riding experience (which again matters).

2 times I got a ticket. Of those times:
    1) I didn't get to explain to the cop before he went back to the cruiser as I had to call a client due to my delay.
    2) Two push bike cops were livid and when I explained myself they both scrambled to open up their HTA little booklets and check every clause I mentioned. One cop calmed down and was debating, the other didn't give a damn and wanted to issue me a ticket for "failure to drive in a marked lane" citing 154. But the reality is this is a complete misreading of that clause. Either way I'll be fighting 2 tickets. The first of which the cop just said "ok you do your homework and I'll do mine and we'll discuss it in court".

I'll be keeping the forum posted on those results.

I still filter every day, but try not to provoke cops. If I see them I file in and wait until they part.

By the way....when was the last time you saw a cop bust a jay walker? Even when hobos "filter" through traffic at lights begging?

Putput you bike along at 12 to 17kph, even walk it a little and you think the cop will really bother? If it becomes widespread they wont even bother unless they are feeling frisky and out to get someone.

By the way....my position is pro filtering (in Ontario), NOT pro lane-splitting (in Ontario). It will be near impossible to argue your way out of a penalty with regard to lane splitting the way the laws are worded. All doom and gloom scenarios cited by Rob can easily stick to you in court.
    Last edited by alaywa; 06-09-2011 at 11:48 AM.

After the squeegie attack, earlier this week, look to see those pan handlers chased away from 'filtering' through traffic at more lights.