Caught Between A Hard Place!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caught Between A Hard Place!

Caught Between A Hard Place!

This is my dilemma, I initially got a quote from a State Farm agent that quoted me $85 a month for insurance on a 2010 Suzuki GSXR600. I based buying the bike off of that quote she gave me. She reassured me that it was $85 and there was no error. So being extremely happy about that quote especially for a 22yr old (23 this year) that has no tickets or accidents and is insured for 5 years now, I bought the bike! Now while shes doing the application she told me its now $275 a month! Overnight apparently she said the rates went up! Is that even possible for it to jump so drastically. I have been desperately phoning brokers to get the best quote possible. I do realize I will not get anywhere near $85. Low 200s would be acceptable for me. Now the bike is stuck at the dealership...

This is what I have been quoted so far.
    Jevco - $5000 Full Coverage
    SF - $3300 Full Coverage - $2292 Liability Only

Any thoughts anyone, your input would be greatly appreciated! This Saturday I`m supposed to take delivery, and would like to but I don`t mind waiting to get a good quote. Thanks in advance!

Re: Caught Between A Hard Place!

Pretty sure they have to honour the rate for a month if all information was recorded correctly.

My bet is that she made a mistake in your quote and doesn't want to own up to it...
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I am assuming you want full coverage. I would call an SF agent who specializes in motorcycles, not sure if u did or not, but they gave me better quotes. U can try TD Meloche if u are part of a uni or professional organization to get a group discount. If all else fails, try getting rid of some features of the policy or better increase the deductible to $1000 from standard $500. You can probably get to around 200 if you keep looking around.
    Last edited by haisam10; 03-24-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    My bet is that she made a mistake in your quote and doesn't want to own up to it...
    They did the same thing to me, went from 1200 to 3000 cause age was entered as over 25 rather than 24 (I can't wait to get my magical insurance skills in the mail next year)

I know there have been some recent adjustments in the rating schemes for younger riders.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    Pretty sure they have to honour the rate for a month if all information was recorded correctly.
    never heard that before.

they had 3 months to "requote/adjust/screw" you after you sign the agreed upon policy.

any broker you would recommend? I've pretty much called everyone at this point they either won't take me or they give me a ridiculous rate of 15,000 a year! I was laughing when I heard that quote from Primmum.
    Last edited by DMR88; 03-24-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haisam10 View Post
    They did the same thing to me, went from 1200 to 3000 cause age was entered as over 25 rather than 24 (I can't wait to get my magical insurance skills in the mail next year)
    Thats hilarious! Magical Skills in the mail. If thats the case I guess mine has been lost in transit. Delayed 3 yrs...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    I agree. She didn't enter something in correctly. Probably your age.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

someone should have talked you out of buying the bike....

Did you get a written quote or a phone quote. If you have a written quote and all the information is correct then advise them you will be contacting State Farm Complaints dept. This may make them a little more willing to negotiate the price. I agree you are not likely to get the $85 per month, but maybe you can do something in between their original quote and price they are quoting now.
    Second option is to advise the dealership that you have run into an insurance problem and change from a SS to something cheaper to insure.

Too bad, because you really did nothing wrong, and took the correct steps, yet you may get f*&ked in the whole deal.
    -----------------------------------------
    2006 FZ6
    2005 DL1000
    2005 Vulcan 500 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by s2kcbr View Post
    someone should have talked you out of buying the bike....
    You were there with me when I bought it s2kcbr and I asked if I was doing the right thing!!! LOL Your horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
    Did you get a written quote or a phone quote. If you have a written quote and all the information is correct then advise them you will be contacting State Farm Complaints dept. This may make them a little more willing to negotiate the price. I agree you are not likely to get the $85 per month, but maybe you can do something in between their original quote and price they are quoting now.
    Second option is to advise the dealership that you have run into an insurance problem and change from a SS to something cheaper to insure.

Too bad, because you really did nothing wrong, and took the correct steps, yet you may get f*&ked in the whole deal.
    It was a phone quote unfortunately nothing binding but I've called her back in Dec to ask about insurance and she was quoting me $137 at that time... Am I going crazy? I'm trying to see if the dealership will let me take it with liability only.. ANSWER: Big Fat No, which was expected. Just thought I would try since I paid for half of the bike. Damn us kids under 25 and our irresponsible driving/riding habits (generalizing obviously), but there are a few good cautious riders under 25 as well.
    Last edited by DMR88; 03-24-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Got answer from dealership

Wait so the dealership wouldn't let you take it home with liability only insurance? I am confused...
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Quote Originally Posted by wearelopey View Post
    Wait so the dealership wouldn't let you take it home with liability only insurance? I am confused...
    because it's financed I assume.

oh ok. I never knew they could do things like that.
    It makes sense though...
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

oh ok. I never knew they could do things like that.
    It makes sense though...
    It's the same thing with a car or anything else

Like kellen said, because its financed. I'll buy it out within 2-3 months and switch to liability.

Quote Originally Posted by DMR88 View Post
    Like kellen said, because its financed. I'll buy it out within 2-3 months and switch to liability.
    go grab a line of credit, or loan from a bank. or if you havea good friend ask to borrow some money from them. pay off the financing, and you can ride liability only. thats one reason taht i always like to pay my cars/bikes off in one shot, this way "I" own it and i can do whatever the hell i'd like with it.

as for the quote, $2200 for liability only sounds about right from state farm. i'm exactly your age, and i have a 675cc ss bike, and thats right where i am for payment. do you by any chance have a car bundled in on the policy?
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L