Study re: feasability of having Isle of Man TT World Championship!

Thread: Study re: feasability of having Isle of Man TT World Championship!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Study re: feasability of having Isle of Man TT World Championship!

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    Too much of a cultural difference and not enough race fans here. Canadian kids don't grow up on Motocross bikes like Europian kids do. They don't have the oppertunity to get into race programs as children or choose racers as their heros. This is Hockey land.... X Box land....
    I am not sure I agree as far as kids having easier access to racing in Europe. Europe is a big place, where this is definitely true for some countries (Spain, Italy, UK ...), but not so much for others. Where I come from, I see Canada having more options for people who want to get into racing in young age, yet the sport is not doing very well here. Considering race tracks, there's about 4 within my driving distance here, but only one back home (and that's where MotoGP, WSBK races go on .... so chances you get there are pretty slim, unless you are really good ...). So naturally, they end up road racing. The huge difference is that the road racing has all kinds of vintage classes with older folks keeping it up and the following is absolutely huge. Another difference is insurance and laws .... we certainly don't get sued over a spilled hot chocolate in Europe LOL and the insurance rates in general are much much lower, pretty much for anything which certainly gives organizers breathing room and options.

Do you think that my dad loves to have a house inside a road racing track? He hates it and many other people with him. Yet, the race happens every year ...... in Ontario one letter would shut the idea down. Over there, politicians are busy getting greedy, not having time to listen or read letters from the constituents ...

Well, I'm from Belfast and it was either Motocross or football. Lots of the kids had dirt bikes/track bikes/carts, in the city and were local racing. Much like when I moved here and the kids seemed to play hockey (which costs a lot if your gearing a growing goalie) in the winter and baseball/American football in the summer. There was motocross but no kids racing tarmac. I dunno. Even now, I remember more MC tracks that are gone than that are around Ontario..

So, the event would have to be run on racer entry fees primarily. Or sponsorship.

One thing I was looking at was Gran Manan Island. I remember driving the coastal road wishing I had a bike instead of Cavalier. Those people are laid back and would probably love an event like that. Not like Ontario.

Not the best example of location but in the theme of TT.

Some solid points, and good ideas. I'm sure the chances of such an event are pretty slim. Thinking about this, and the seemingly endless barriers motorcyclists face just to be able to race, has made me appreciate the places that there are to race, and those who make that possible. I'm just a wannabe racer, that owns a sport bike, but it sure is nice to know that there are options out there. I'm going to try to do my part in keeping our sport alive and well here in Ontario, Canada, and thanks to all of you who have done, or will be making a positive contribution to the sport. And in the meantime, I guess we can always dream of a world where everyone loves racing, and motorcycles, let's just hope the haters hurry and wake up!