Dr200 Drz400 questions

Thread: Dr200 Drz400 questions

Dr200 Drz400 questions

I need a learner freindly bike for a new rider. She likes the style / feel of the CRF230, DR200. I was considering a DRZ400 but it will be taller and heavier not to mention more power.

did anyoe start out on a DR200 or similar bike. I would like to know what you thought of them.

Thanks

Re: Dr200 Drz400 questions

Quote Originally Posted by GVH View Post
    I need a learner freindly bike for a new rider. She likes the style / feel of the CRF230, DR200. I was considering a DRZ400 but it will be taller and heavier not to mention more power.

did anyoe start out on a DR200 or similar bike. I would like to know what you thought of them.

Thanks
    How big is she? In any case, DRZ400 is tough enough to take a few drops until she realizes that she doesn't have to flatfoot it
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I would say the first "real" bike I rode was an 87 cr125... I was probably 5'3" at the time. I had to balance the bike, jump up, hit the kick starter on the way down and then catch the bike. So I can't understand why people get so concerned about the height of a bike. She'll learn quickly to shift a butt cheek to the left and keep the right foot up on the peg on the rear brake where it should be anyways.

The 400 is smooth and mellow enough for a learner, I wouldn't worry too much about it! And as mentioned, it will take a lickin and just bounce back.

The DR200SE is packing a 200cc, single-cylinder, 4-stroke engine that is ideal for tearing around surface streets or forest trails. The transmission is geared pretty low which is great for learning, you won't be traveling 20-30mph in first gear like you would with some other sport bikes! The lower gear sets will also give you lots of time to practice shifting, although you will have to do it by the sound of the engine as this bike doesn't include a tachometer with the instrument cluster. This bike is definitely not a freeway motorcycle either, in fact most people say that 55mph is the highest speed you can achieve while remaining somewhat comfortable and stable on the bike. It tops out at around 90mph, but you would need balls of steel to wring it out that much!
    It sounds like a decent bike. Have you looked at the Yamaha WR250R?

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...oup=M|&LANG=en

She'll feel more confident starting on a smaller bike, and depending on her enthusiasm for the sport may go a long way in putting a smile on her face when she's offroad with it. Waiting for someone to come help pick up a heavy bike is a PITA. That being said, if she really gets into it, then she may want a bike better suited to the highway at 120 kph, the DR400 is buzzy, but you wouldn't feel terribly hard pressed to do highway speeds whereas the 200 will wind up like a top and make her hands and feet vibrate quite a lot. Both bikes are better suited to 80 kph roads, and as a city commuter, they would shine.

The 400 has a wealth of aftermarket parts and could even be rigged out for long distance touring, street rig or aggressive offroad performance, great tire choices etc.

It'd be the one I'd recommend, but for the size for a new rider. I find that if someone is afraid of losing control of the bike which is much more likely on a muddy trail or stream crossing, that they tend to develop what I call "fear factor" and tend to try and ride within their comfort zone. A big bike can be a recipe for her to say "Have fun with the boys!"

Why not get her on some dirt bikes and see what she likes?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by GVH View Post

Thanks
    You didn't say off-road or street? If off-road, no question DR200 (CRF230 is stupid expensive), cheaper, lighter, enough power for a newb .... if street 400 might be better, but as you said taller heavier etc.

I've got a street legal xr200 and my buddy had a dr200, if she is only going to ride in town the 200 would be ok but 200's don't have enough top end to run hwy unless you don't mind keeping it pinned. They're good for trail riding and under 100km/hr runs and generally have decent resell, my buddy rode his for a year and sold it for what he paid for it. I've kept mine mostly because it's street legal and only costs me $120 a year to insure.
    I am disappointment in you're grammar

It will be mostly street use. She is flate footed on the DR200. Height wise 5.9/10 ish I bought her a CB360T 13 years ago and she took the course but never got into it. Licence has expired since. My bet is this bike will be used very little. I'm even leaning in the scooter direction as well. So far I have found one DR200 for $1500. A DRZ400 for $2500 and I already own a Ruckus 50. I'm thinking scooters just to get her comfortable with the 2 wheels then move up to a small bike. If she liked the CBR125/250 style of bike I would have bought one already.

I sold my sportbike and bought a DL650 for this season just to get her on the back

The Kawasaki klx 250s would probably be a perfect bike...plenty of power, and not as tall as the DRZ... I may be a bit biased, and I am also thinking of selling mine
    '04 BMW F650GS
    '86 Honda z50r

Go with the DR200, trust me its enough power, unless she is planning on taking long distance traveling to different cities outside gta, that bike is more then enough power and speed, i ride a 200cc supermoto, and its the same suzuki dr200 engine, and its sweet!, yes you'll have to keep it pinned on the hwy but, for the money, im laughing, 10.6 ltr tank i can do more then 330kms per tank! for $14 bucks! insurance is dirt cheap less then my cell phone bill "under 50 bucks" and i still have to tippy toe the height, and im 5'11. Anything off hwy, the engine is powerful enough to rip hard, im still only up to 7,600 rpms and it just rips off the line for what it is, once broken in i can regularly hit 10,000 rpms or higher, maxes out at 14,000 rpms. Sounds amazing even stock. I've ridin much more powerful bikes in europe, but im so impressed with the DRz200cc, then again mine is a full blown out supermoto, street version, i don't know maybe my tranny is different, i don't know, all i know is for a female, the 400 is definately going to be a hand full in tricky situations. I do alot of city riding, and for the longer rides i just take the scenic routes and stay off the hwy. In heavy traffic a smaller bike is a dream! its like having a mini cooper.lol plus i think i read she's more into the 200, if thats the case you should get her what she wants, shes being smart about her decision, because she knows what she can handle and probably likes. even 250's are good, if i had the luxury i'd definately get the yamaha wr250R sick *** bike!!!

I just bought a DRZ400 and I was looking at buying the dr200 at first. I figured the dr200 would be great to take the M1 exit test with and it also has the benifits of cheaper insurance and better fuel economy than the bigger drz400. I ended up not getting the dr200 due to the opinions about its lack of power from previous owners of the bike. But I think for a woman it would be adequate. The drz400 is also a bit taller than the 200 and it might be too tall for a woman depending on her height. I am 5'9" and I am on the balls of my feet when sitting on it...and thats with the corbin seat. I tried walking it backwards while sitting on it and it was very difficult. The Dr200 would be the better choice for a woman to learn on but just keep in mind that after about one season she will want to sell it and get something else due to its inablility to travel comfortably on highways.
    Last edited by howitt; 04-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2WET View Post
    i ride a 200cc supermoto, and its the same suzuki dr200 engine, once broken in i can regularly hit 10,000 rpms or higher, maxes out at 14,000 rpms.
    What super motard do you drive exactly? A DR 200 engine does 14,000rpmS!? WOW for a single cylinder 4 stroke.. thats incredible.... what engine are you talking about exactly? Those specs are almost unbelievable.

for the original poster - do NOT GET a Drz400!!! I own one the SM version and at 6 tall, I wouldn't want the bike any taller.

For a fun learner bike, or even for an experienced rider, never get one that is too big. Check out the little honda super motard or a klx 250.

But quite truthfully, all 'dirt' bikes are taller.

Why not get her a CBR 125 or Ninja 250?

Quote Originally Posted by BradPitt View Post
    What super motard do you drive exactly? A DR 200 engine does 14,000rpmS!? WOW for a single cylinder 4 stroke.. thats incredible.... what engine are you talking about exactly? Those specs are almost unbelievable.

for the original poster - do NOT GET a Drz400!!! I own one the SM version and at 6 tall, I wouldn't want the bike any taller.

For a fun learner bike, or even for an experienced rider, never get one that is too big. Check out the little honda super motard or a klx 250.

But quite truthfully, all 'dirt' bikes are taller.

Why not get her a CBR 125 or Ninja 250?
    I think he is talking about a konker 200 SM. I would have purchased a CBR125 or similar if she liked the riding style. I don't want to get her a Rebel 250 or similar if I can help it. At this point she will be riding my Ruckus 50cc.

CMTS at Horseshoe valley resort has WR250 for their dual-sport ride - she could try it out and get some instruction at the same time. The WR250 is a 6 spd whereas the DRZ400S is a 5 spd.
    Last edited by promac; 04-07-2011 at 07:00 PM.