NY I-90 Toll Road, Buffalo to Albany

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY I-90 Toll Road, Buffalo to Albany

NY I-90 Toll Road, Buffalo to Albany

Hey guys, the girlfriend and I will be taking the I-90 twice, about 400 km each way, pretty much from the falls/buffalo to past around Albany...

I used the toll estimator, should be about $15/bike/trip, but couldn't find info on when/how we pay? Has anyone out here been on the I-90?

Feel free to recommend any "scenic route alternatives" as we may split the return from NY across two days. The girlfriend will be on a 250 and travelling west(into strong winds) on highways slows top speed down to 130 or so.

Re: NY I-90 Toll Road, Buffalo to Albany

you get a card when the highway begins which displays the mileage and cost, and you hand in the card with the money at the last toll before your off ramp

along the way you might want to stop off at Watkins Glenn for some hiking and ride south of the finger lakes heading east where there are some twisty roads
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

+1 to Watkins Glen. Absolutely gorgeous around there.

If you're on the bike why are you super slabbing it?

Thanks guys!
    Trying to cram in both family outside of NYC, and some time in NYC, with minimal time off.

I am not sure if they give a discount for motorcycles.....

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/tolls/calc/index.html
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gwelfmike View Post

Strap them together with 3 or 4 2x4s and some ratchet straps and call it a car.

Quote Originally Posted by gwelfmike View Post

They're discounted, go to the toll schedules page.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/tolls/toll...motorcycle.pdf <- Bikes
    http://www.thruway.ny.gov/tolls/toll...eduleacash.pdf <- Cars

I've been on the I-90. There's rest stops on the highway (i.e. you don't have to leave the toll system for food/to take a break), it does save time but it is pretty dull. As others said, there's toll booths where you leave the highway, you will need cash.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

its pretty awful pavement until you clear greater buffalo, then it just gets really boring.

Amazing ride would be down to Ellicotville. No toll, cheap lodging in the spring and great roads through the foothills.
    Look in the tunk, I think he means trunk.

Banned

Well, the scenic route to Watkins Glen that keeps you on reasonably good but quiet roads is

Peace Bridge ->I190 south -> I90 WEST (2 km) -> NY400 south -> NY20A east -> NY36 south -> (Dansville) NY63 south -> (Wayland) NY21/NY15 south -> NY415 east -> (Savona) NY226 east -> NY14A south -> NY14 south into Watkins Glen.

All decent roads, mostly 2-lane, lots of twists as the roads follow the valleys crest high ridges to get from one river valley to the next. If you need to pick up time, I390 is in close hop-on distance for much of the way.

From Watkins Glen you can pop east to Ithaca, Lansing, Dryden, Whitney Point, and then pop onto four-lane I88 at Sydney for the last 120 km hop, or you can take the winding back roads and turn that 120 km into 160 km.

From Watkins Glen to Lansing is more of the same, all decent roads. I can't speak to what things are like past that point, as I usually head south from Ithaca in my travels, and not east.

All in all, getting off I90 and going via the roads through the valley run on either side of I390 and through the Southern Tier route should add about 100 to 150 km, and about 2 hours or so in riding time. Lot's of old Americana and lots of scenery of food stops all along the way.

Just be sure to use a GPS though. Signage is iffy in places.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    They're discounted, go to the toll schedules page.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/tolls/toll...motorcycle.pdf <- Bikes
    http://www.thruway.ny.gov/tolls/toll...eduleacash.pdf <- Cars

I've been on the I-90. There's rest stops on the highway (i.e. you don't have to leave the toll system for food/to take a break), it does save time but it is pretty dull. As others said, there's toll booths where you leave the highway, you will need cash.
    The discounted rates are only good if you have the EZ Pass. Motorcycles pay full rate otherwise. Been on it a few times and had to pay full fare on the bike. At least in comparison, price per mile is WAY cheaper on I90 than the 407.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason905 View Post
    The discounted rates are only good if you have the EZ Pass. Motorcycles pay full rate otherwise. Been on it a few times and had to pay full fare on the bike. At least in comparison, price per mile is WAY cheaper on I90 than the 407.
    Huh, just noticed the EZ-Pass on the top of that page. I could've sworn I paid the discounted rate when I was on it two years ago.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Never crossed the border before, are the border guys ********? I'll be on a Sportster with a 12 litre tank so I plan on carrying a full 4.7 litre jerry can of gas on each bike. I can bring it empty at crossing if necessary...

You can always buy jerry can in any gas station after you cross, if you are worried about it on the border, just bring bungee.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by niagara_ridder View Post
    Amazing ride would be down to Ellicotville. No toll, cheap lodging in the spring and great roads through the foothills.
    +1
    Going that way will add about an hour (ish) to your trip but it would definitely be a more scenic ride with less traffic.

If you're worried about gas stops and you know your tank range, you can plan your gas stops here:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelplazas/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Never crossed the border before, are the border guys ********? I'll be on a Sportster with a 12 litre tank so I plan on carrying a full 4.7 litre jerry can of gas on each bike. I can bring it empty at crossing if necessary...
    If your bike has at least a 200 km range, I wouldn't bother with a can. I used to do that and never had to use it. There are plenty of gas stations between Buffalo and NYC.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

I go to Ohio pretty often that way.
    Toll road is (for cars) $3.15 US or about $3.50 or the same CDN (varies every week). Get US dollars cash at hand, saves time.
    Watch out for cops on the I190 (right shoulder around curves) and on I90 middle divider. They hide a LOT into the wood crossings. Watch for deer at sunset. Gun it in Penn, rarely any cops and if they are, not too many places for them to hide.
    Same toll on the way back. Take exit 53 to Canada, otherwise there will be another $1 or $1.25 toll + lots of local traffic.
    Crossing the bridge back will cost you $3 more.
    Cheapest gas (always) is at Irving (exit 57 I believe). Gas station is about 1 mile down the road.
    Don't go more than 5 miles over the speed limit in NY right after you cross the border, which is mostly 50 and 55, they will pull you over. Don't drive on the left lane if the right lane is free. They actually enforce that law down there.
    There is an alternate route closer to the lake, Highway 5, no toll.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    If your bike has at least a 200 km range, I wouldn't bother with a can. I used to do that and never had to use it. There are plenty of gas stations between Buffalo and NYC.

I crossed in Windsor and Sarnia a few times last year. The guards just wanted to know more about the ride than anything else. Where you going, how long, how long you had the bike, blah, blah blah. I just turn off the bike and remove my eye protection. Never had a problem with the guards (knock wood)

No need for the gas can either. As Retro stated, pretty consistent with 200 kms per tank (low 190 - high 220) on a 1200 sporty with the 12.5 L peanut before reserve. K&N air filter, SEII slip ons, motor stock. Plenty of fuel/rest stations along the route you're taking.

The I90 was a fun as there were WIDE open stretches of forests, nothingness and State Troopers.
    Yeah, I only paid when I got off the I90 so just have your card and cash ready to go.