NY I-90 Toll Road, Buffalo to Albany - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY I-90 Toll Road, Buffalo to Albany

Re: NY I-90 Toll Road, Buffalo to Albany

We may go another route, at least one way. How close to the 104 km/hr / 60 mph limit does traffic go? And how close should we be going to avoid the state badges?

Banned

Thruway speed limit when passing through urban areas is 55 mph, and 65 outside the urban areas. State troopers start issuing tickets at 5 mph/8 kmph over, they are very good at it, and unlike the OPP presence on the 400 series highways, there are many of them around to do it.

"Don't speed in New York" is something I learned from this forum, they don't screw around! Generally traffic knows this as well, so it shouldn't be too bad.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Never crossed the border before, are the border guys ********? I'll be on a Sportster with a 12 litre tank so I plan on carrying a full 4.7 litre jerry can of gas on each bike. I can bring it empty at crossing if necessary...
    I have never had any issues while crossing the border. I have done trips with groups and the guys/gals at customs have always been great with us! As for the jerry cans, personally I would wait until you cross then fill them.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Thruway speed limit when passing through urban areas is 55 mph, and 65 outside the urban areas. State troopers start issuing tickets at 5 mph/8 kmph over, they are very good at it, and unlike the OPP presence on the 400 series highways, there are many of them around to do it.
    +1 on this... the State T's are like CP24.... They're everywhere!!!

Be sure to go thru Letchworth State Park on the way to the finger Lakes.It's the "Grand Canyon" of the north.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Never crossed the border before, are the border guys ********? I'll be on a Sportster with a 12 litre tank so I plan on carrying a full 4.7 litre jerry can of gas on each bike. I can bring it empty at crossing if necessary...
    Adri, do not worry about crossing the border. I have crossed the border on my 2006 V-Strom at more than a dozen different places, including the easternmost crossing at St. Stephen NB/Calais Maine to the westernmost crossing at Point Roberts Washington on the Pacific Ocean.

Border guards in both our countries have always been friendly and courteous to me. I take off my helmet and I smile -- this can be quite gruesome because I am the ugliest bald old fart they ever see. Nevertheless, they look at my passport and ask a few simple questions about what I am importing and how long I have been away from USA (or will be visiting Canada). For you, of course, the countries swap around but the questions do not vary. Do not carry a lot of tobacco, and do not carry more than one bottle of booze (and the cheapest place to get either is at the Duty Free right at the border). Do not bring citrus into USA -- we EXPORT that stuff and don't let it in (sometimes not even BACK in).

And forget about carrying gas. We buy yours and sell it back to you, cheaper than you sell it!

Finally, welcome! I hope to ride with you, one way or another, this summer.
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

You might have a problem carrying gas cans on the Thruway. A few years ago coming back from racing a car at Lime Rock I tried to refill some jerry cans at a fuel stop on the Thruway and they would not allow it. Something about an accident with a truck carrying cans of gas in the back.

Best to leave the cans at home, besides who wants to ride with full gas cans attached?
    Last edited by BimmerMike; 04-25-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: ms splt

Slight change of plans as the relative in NY has come up and brought my 17 litre Sportster tank up with him. Now we're talking! Can't wait to mount this baby.

Slight change of plans as the relative in NY has come up and brought my 17 litre Sportster tank up with him. Now we're talking! Can't wait to mount this baby.
    Take before and after pics! Always wondered how this ends up looking.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."