KLR250 top speed?

Thread: KLR250 top speed?

KLR250 top speed?

I was thinking of buying a used 2005 KLR 250 as a beginner bike and to use to take the M1 exit test. Is this bike able to travel safely on the highway?

Re: KLR250 top speed?

Had a buddy with this exact bike and rode it everywhere, even on the 400.
    I can't remember for a fact, but I think he could hit 130-140 with it... But I could easily be wrong.

130 or 140 with a klr 250!? are you sure he didnt have the 650?

I have a 2009 KLX250sf. It has taller gearing than the klx250s model. Best I have seen is an indicated 140kph.

Quote Originally Posted by howitt View Post
    130 or 140 with a klr 250!? are you sure he didnt have the 650?
    Didn't say I knew for sure, and it's also going on what he said he could get on it I never rode the thing...

Google'd and i got 80MPH +/- a few, which equals to 130km/h +/- a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by howitt View Post
    I was thinking of buying a used 2005 KLR 250 as a beginner bike and to use to take the M1 exit test. Is this bike able to travel safely on the highway?
    I would not recommend riding a 250 enduro on the hwy,plus its not the safest thing to ride at that speed.Get a used Ninja 250.

Find it funny someone asks a question, when someone replies with the right answer the newb thinks it's the wrong one and suggests something completely off...

I wouldn't ride it on the hwy, asking too much out of the bike.

It can probably be done but it won't FEEL safe. Especially not with knobbies. Those things feel airborne before the motor runs out of juice.

I would bring a change of underwear just in case.

Banned

i had a klr 250 for a bit in highschool. i rode it on the highway without any issues. never gave me problems. topped out at about 130-140.

My first bike was a 1975 Yamaha DT250. I rode it everywhere including up ot the cottage (about 200kms) as it was my only means of transportation. I rode it on the 401 but i have to say it was pegged at 120kmh.Its certainly doable if all you want to do is take your test but I wouldnt recommend prolonged highway usage as your hands and feet will go numb from the vibration

^^^

If I'm not mistaken, the DT250 would have been a two stroke which is a totally different breed.

My first bike ever was a '95 KLR 250 and I got my M1/2 with it, no problem. It was a return from the Gulf War which was kinda cool because it was equiped with a night vision hookup, hard metal saddle bags and metal tubular racks (front and back). It also had a blackout option which would cut all of the lights which was handy a few "select" times...

Anyways, I'm back from memory lane now... That thing was totally gutless with it's CV carb (even with all of the extras off it), but it was OK to run it on the highway at the posted speed limit,which is what you want it for anyways. I'm surprised they used that thing in the desert, I can't imagine how much of a pig it would have been fully loaded in the sand out in the Gulf!
    Last edited by Modeboy; 03-31-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    MODE ON

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    Find it funny someone asks a question, when someone replies with the right answer the newb thinks it's the wrong one and suggests something completely off...

I wouldn't ride it on the hwy, asking too much out of the bike.
    I find it funny that someone hits another driver and asks a motorcycle forum a question about what the person who was hit is allowed to do regarding which shop they have their car repaired at. Then when somone replies with the right answer the guy thinks its wrong and still cries about it.
    Last edited by howitt; 04-01-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Well, I ended up buying something a bit bigger. I got myself a used 2002 Suzuki DR-Z400S that was geared for highway speeds. Thanks for all the replies.