Loud pipes are annoying - Page 3

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud pipes are annoying

Re: Loud pipes are annoying

What are loud pipes anyway? Strait/Cheap/modified or all aftermarket pipes? The Harley pipes I removed were EPA compliant ,80dbs, they were loud and annoyed me, they were very high pitched, but they were street legal. The V&H pipes I put on are not any louder or quieter. but they sound better, more bass. I don't think I have loud pipes. the police don't seen to mind them, So I think I will just ride on.
    1990 Fatboy
    Stage 3 EVO

You have loud pipes if they don't sound like someone torturing a cat at 10,000 RPM. Otherwise you're good.
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

Insurace, poodles, whatever??

I LOVE the rumble of my Vance and Hines.

......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

Primium actually gave me a Hindle to install on my bike so my insurance pricing would go down.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Ghost View Post
    What are loud pipes anyway? Strait/Cheap/modified or all aftermarket pipes
    Loud pipes = straight pipes (no baffles) on cruisers and GP exhausts on sport bikes.

Most aftermarket full systems will pas the DB meter road side test as long as you have some kind of muffler, its the knobs who have a bike so loud that at 20 feet you cant have a conversation with another person.

Funny fact, in stock trim the RSV4 doesn't pass the caledon noise bylaw testing they'll be doing
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by chidizzle View Post
    Why do people insist on getting loud pipes on their bikes?

Is it considered a safety feature? If so, do insurance companies lower their premiums if you tell them about it?
    It's actually to wake their mommies so they can be tucked in when they come home late.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    Loud pipes = straight pipes (no baffles) on cruisers and GP exhausts on sport bikes.

Most aftermarket full systems will pas the DB meter road side test as long as you have some kind of muffler, its the knobs who have a bike so loud that at 20 feet you cant have a conversation with another person.

Funny fact, in stock trim the RSV4 doesn't pass the caledon noise bylaw testing they'll be doing
    http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/20...ever-seen.html
    1993 EX-250
    1997 GS500 - beater motorcycle (RIP)

Surprisingly...not on a Harley. lol
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

neon lights.....now that's annoying!
    It's ok to excuse some ignorance, as we all haven't experienced the same things in life...
    And some people are really "so good" that, maybe you can excuse a bit a arrogance.
    But, one thing that you can never excuse, is arrogant ignorance.....

Oh snap! He must make like a bajillion horsepowers!
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Just installed a hyperflo system on my RR and got thumbs up all day long... It's just like cars, civics with dirty pipes are annoying as where a 5L is like a lullaby!
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

I have a Two [deaf] Brothers exhaust. In the 2 years that I've been riding, I've only been cut off twice; while I can't count the number of times cars have started to change into my lane, maybe get a tire on the dashed line, hear and [then?] see me, and then back off ... and I can't really count the first time, as I was riding staggered with another bike and the driver assumed that there was only one bike next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    Actually... they don't. Statistically speaking you're better off with a louder horn and high visibility gear.

"77% of motorcycle accident hazards come from in front of the rider, while only 3% approach from the rear. What's interesting here is that motorcycle pipes direct the vast majority of sound backwards where the least danger is, so for loud pipes to be truly effective safety measures they would need to be pointed forward where the greatest danger lies."

http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/l...save_lives.asp
    http://www.timescolonist.com/loud+bi...922/story.html
    On the DVP, I was once riding behind a ****** on the phone in a luxury car. He looks in the mirror and gives me a WTF, and I shrug my shoulders in response. Then, the idiot tries to accelerate away from me. I easily keep with him until he gets off the phone before backing off. Anyway, exhausts are not sound cannons; their directionality is negligible.
    2007 GSX-R750 street
    2009 ZX-6R track

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Funny. I've been riding longer, have always had stock exhausts and have never been cut off the way that you describe. Maybe its the aggressive way that you ride? Maybe you should switch back to stock?
    Last edited by Baggsy; 03-13-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    exhausts are not sound cannons; their directionality is negligible.
    So what you're saying is that your bike is not subject to the laws of physics?

Although I must admit....SOME aftermarket "louder" exhaust sounds awesome, and my Victory branded pipes on my Vic are going to piss a few people off....as did my last few 600RR's.

I still think there are bigger issues on the roads. I do think car stereos annoy people more, not to mention ruin hearing later in life for those aboard. Who the fack thinks that's cool...??

If my pipes get me a ticket, then I guess riding costs a little more....whatever...but ticket loud pipes better equal ticket loud stereos "pounding" in the same areas.

Noise laws are noise laws.

flame away....whatever.
    05' 600RR - SOLD
    07' 600RR - SOLD
    11' VEGAS Stage 2
    12' GT500 Shelby

Also...I have a question for anyone who think s they know....??

In the most recent Motorcycle Mojo magazine (a good read), noise testing was described and demonstrated. SAE J2825 states test equipment is to be set up at a 45 degree angle and 20 inches away from the exhaust termination point. The maximum noise cannot exceed 92 dB at idle and 96 dB at an elevated rpm. Caledon has gone one step further and said 96 dB is the limit for 1, 2, or 6 cylinder engines at 2000rpm, while 3 and 4 cylinder engines get 100 dB limit at 5000 rpm.

So...the new pipes on my Vic sweep back and then aim down. Almost like a ground pounder setup. You'll never get a proper reading, despite a pass of fail result?

Is the test valid without proper setup? I'm never near Caledon anyways, but the topic is still interesting. ...and as to my last post, I'm actually curious how stereo testing would be done?
    05' 600RR - SOLD
    07' 600RR - SOLD
    11' VEGAS Stage 2
    12' GT500 Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    or that Doppler had it wrong all along...

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    To which laws of physics are you referring?

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    or that Doppler had it wrong all along...
    The speed of sound is 1200 km/h, and I'm travelling at 120 km/h. There is very little Doppler effect, and even if there was, it would only affect frequency, not amplitude (or loudness).
    Last edited by Starchild; 03-13-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    2007 GSX-R750 street
    2009 ZX-6R track

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Funny. I've been riding longer, have always had stock exhausts and have never been cut off the way that you describe. Maybe its the aggressive way that you ride? Maybe you should switch back to stock?
    I was thinking the same thing. I have full stock pipes as well, and they are almost stealth in nature. On one of the motorcycle exhaust noise testing dates at Caledon OPP last October, my bike was one of the quietest bikes at both idle and at 2000 rpm. It barely registered at idle. I think only two other bikes were quieter, including one that didn't even register at all on the sound meter when at idle.

I regularly ride a range of congested and lightly-travelled city and town streets, country 2-lane and 400 series 4-lane highway. In all but winter the bike is my first choice of transportation regardless of time of day or weather conditions. Despite my supposed vulnerability for having a quiet bike (now and always in past too), I've rarely ever been chopped or otherwise cut off by other traffic (and no more frequently than when I'm in my big pick-up truck), and I've rarely even needed to use my horn in all that time.

Maybe it's because I don't ride like an idiot and try to outpace or otherwise gain advantage over other traffic at every opportunity. I make a point of riding in a predictable manner that fits in with and doesn't cause surprise to other traffic, in a way that makes maximum use of the "safe bubbles" that can almost always be found in traffic, and in a way that maximizes my ability to see and adjust to the traffic movements of others that may pose a risk to me.

Loud pipes just provide a placebo effect for their owners. They will not compensate for poor riding judgment and poor observational skills. The money invested in them would be better spent on a good defensive riding course.
    Last edited by turbodish; 03-13-2011 at 01:54 PM.