Bill C-60, the Citizen's Arrest and Self-Defence Act - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill C-60, the Citizen's Arrest and Self-Defence Act

Re: Bill C-60, the Citizen's Arrest and Self-Defence Act

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    'Brandishing' a weapon indicates that the situation was not of sufficient for the weapon to be used, in the first place. Most (ie 'virtually all') self defence instructors will tell you that you don't bring out a weapon, unless you intend to use it immediately. You don't threaten an assailant with your firearm; you SHOOT him.
    Most self defence instructors are then missing the point about the typical chaos and speed at which self defense situations occur and escalate. If you hear a crash at 3am at nite while you are sleeping what do you do? Wait to assess risk (how the heck you can do that in the dark while you've been sleeping and under extreme stress/duress) and then decide to goto your locked safe, unlock the safe, unlock the gun, load the gun and then approach the unknown assailant?

The problem with this is how do you know if you're going to need it? Making an assumption that you won't need it could be fatal, assuming you might need it and not having to is a much safer approach (often cowardly assailants hearing the shotgun rack will cause them to run). Unfortunately our current legal system wants you to call the police and wait, which in certain situations (which you can't forecast which is why taking extra care is so key) severe harm occurs.

If you're in your home, and you chose to hold/carry a weapon "just in case" there should be absolutely no questions asked especially if you didn't use it at all.
    Last edited by Snobike Mike; 10-13-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    Agreed. Risk management at its finest. Obviously with maximum discretion involved at all times. I can see you are a survivor, Salos Dafee. When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'll have you on my side.
    Odd you should mention that threat, Viper. Near me is the city Okeechobee FL,
    which is taking serious steps to guard against a zombie apocalypse! The idea is
    that most of the folks here in Florida have been lulled into complacence by the
    paucity and feebleness of hurricanes for the past few years. By posing a new
    threat, along with a large dose of whimsy, the city council is getting citizens of
    Okeechobee to take a fresh look at the issue of preparing for an emergency.

It's true! Read it for yourself:
    http://www.okeechobeeeoc.com/Annex Z.pdf
    One of these days I will ride over to Okeechobee and get some more details
    on the town's preparations. I will concentrate on whimsy and opportunities for
    some harmless deviltry that some wicked companions and I can exploit.

Please pardon the diversion. Now back to the discussion on Bill C-60 ...
    Last edited by Salos Dafee; 10-14-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: sppeling
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by Salos Dafee View Post
    Odd you should mention that threat, Viper. Near me is the city Okeechobee FL,
    which is taking serious steps to guard against a zombie apocalypse! The idea is
    that most of the folks here in Florida have been lulled into complacence by the
    paucity and feebleness of hurricanes for the past few years. By posing a new
    threat, along with a large dose of whimsy, the city council is getting citizens of
    Okeechobee to take a fresh look at the issue of preparing for an emergency.

It's true! Read it for yourself:
    http://www.okeechobeeeoc.com/Annex Z.pdf
    One of these days I will ride over to Okeechobee and get some more details
    on the town's preparations. I will concentrate on whimsy and opportunities for
    some harmless deviltry that come wicked companions and I can exploit.

Please pardon the diversion. Now back to the discussion on Bill C-60 ...
    Is this for fast zombies or slow zombies, I wonder? Doesn't matter. Either way, highly useful information and awesome that they've done this.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    Is this for fast zombies or slow zombies, I wonder? Doesn't matter. Either way, highly useful information and awesome that they've done this.
    I do not see a specific answer to your query, but careful reading reveals clues:
    The zombies are thrice called "the Shambling Horde", a term in which I discern
    considerable slowness and clumsiness. Only once did I find any suggestion of
    quick action by zombies, and that referred to the ease with which they could
    take over buildings that were substantially damaged by storms. The words
    "fast", "quick", and "rapid" appear in the document, but none of these usages
    is associated with the pace at which the zombies are expected to move.

So I would conclude the expected zombies are slow. My companions, suitably
    swaddled in mummy-like wrappings, will of course be riding motorcycles,
    so perhaps we can take the town by surprise. Shamble, we certainly DON'T!

I wonder if I can arrange the invasion to coincide with Hallowe'en.
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."