What do I need to get insurance/what do I do?

Thread: What do I need to get insurance/what do I do?

What do I need to get insurance/what do I do?

Hey guys,

I just bought a bike from Cycle World Super Store. Specifically, I put down the downpayment, and they gave me the bill of sale. I've had a loan approved for the balance of the bike's price, and once the loan monies have been released to me (5-10 days from now) I'm going to go into the dealership and pay off the remainder.

The bill of sale I was given has a '* Certified' note next to the bike in the column describing the item, but they didn't give me a physically separate safety certificate. I'm assuming/hoping that they'll provide the physical certificate once I've paid the balance.

Now, if I understand the process correctly, the first thing I need to do is get insurance... right? Is the bill of sale I have all I need to secure insurance for the vehicle? Or is there something else I need to do first?

I'm also a bit concerned about the six day 'registration' timer, especially since I'm not all that certain what 'registration' means (I've looked at the MTO site for information about 'register'-ing and mostly seem to find information about 'licensing' and 'plating' instead. Do either of those constitute registering?). In particular I'm curious about whether this timer has already started for me or whether it'll start when I put pay the dealership the balance of the bike's cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm sitting here with the 'bill of sale' I got for my downpayment and don't really know what I have to do next.

Re: What do I need to get insurance/what do I do?

ok lets start with insurance. the only thing u should really need is the vin # for the bike. That is enough to call ur insurance company and get the insurance policy set up. The will however ask u to fax them a copy of the ownership when u get it

As for registering ur bike. Im not sure how it works with bikes but with a car, the dealer takes care of everything. For the sake of the argument lets say that is not the case here. U will need need ur bill of sale, transfer of ownership portion (if its a used bike). U will need a sefty certificate for the bike, and insurance. Take that to the MTO. and they will do the rest for u

As for the registration time i wouldnt worry about it to much, i bought a bike from the states last month and still didnt get around to it.

My dealer took care of the registration for my bike, just had to get insurance n tell them my policy number

Quote Originally Posted by tribal250 View Post
    ok lets start with insurance. the only thing u should really need is the vin # for the bike. That is enough to call ur insurance company and get the insurance policy set up. The will however ask u to fax them a copy of the ownership when u get it

As for registering ur bike. Im not sure how it works with bikes but with a car, the dealer takes care of everything. For the sake of the argument lets say that is not the case here. U will need need ur bill of sale, transfer of ownership portion (if its a used bike). U will need a sefty certificate for the bike, and insurance. Take that to the MTO. and they will do the rest for u

As for the registration time i wouldnt worry about it to much, i bought a bike from the states last month and still didnt get around to it.

The dealer did say they'd take care of registration/plating.

The thing that's got me worried though is the six day registration timer... this raises two main questions.

1. Is it six days after date of sale, or six days after date the transfer of ownerships done?
    2. Is my downpayment and receipt of a bill of sale the 'date of sale' or is the sale not 'complete' until I go in and pay them the remaining balance?

If it's six days after a sale, and my downpayment counts as the date of sale, then I've gotta hurry and get insurance before this six day limit. But if the downpayment date isn't the date of sale (despite being given something that looks to be a bill of sale), or the six day limit applies after the ownership transfer is done rather than the actual sale, everything's good and I can relax and take my time about this.

Just really don't wanna get stuck in a situation where I'm going to have difficulty registering the bike or getting it on the road.

well the dealer cant get u plates for the bike without u having valid insurance so the best bet would be to call them up and make arrangments with them

Visit / call the dealer and let them guide you thru this.
    They do this all the time and are experts at what they do.
    Flying is easy...just hurl yourself at the ground and ...miss

did you end up getting insurance? and the bike?
    I’d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Yep. She got delivered yesterday and I still haven't even had a chance to take her down the block due to ice.

The dealer just didn't do the ownership transfer papers until the insurance was ready, so everything's good.

Eagerly looking forwards to trying it out once the temperature's a few degrees higher.

Quote Originally Posted by bombshelter13 View Post
    Yep. She got delivered yesterday and I still haven't even had a chance to take her down the block due to ice.

The dealer just didn't do the ownership transfer papers until the insurance was ready, so everything's good.

Eagerly looking forwards to trying it out once the temperature's a few degrees higher.
    Same situation here. Got a bike sitting in the basement with no place to ride it