Cruiser people, which (probably older) bike has a good reputation and decent handling - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruiser people, which (probably older) bike has a good reputation and decent handling

Re: Cruiser people, which (probably older) bike has a good reputation and decent hand

While not a cruiser, There is one older carbed bike that can do it all...and not struggle to do anything. It popped into my mind without one second's hesitation.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Re: Cruiser people, which (probably older) bike has a good reputation and decent hand

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    This is probably the best do everything bike ever.Don't know why i have never owned one.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Because it's kinda dull?
    Connies are good. Got one sitting in pieces waiting for my brother-in-law to put back together. Last bike I gave him was a Magna.
    Most good bikes look dull when they aren't moving, even that one of yours. Its probably more because you have to take all that tupperware off to work on it. I paid $4000 for an '01 a couple of years ago, so it might be in your price range now. It was made for 20 years ('86-'06) with minor changes, so it would definitely be in your price range. My Magna was an '84 V65 (1100) and was $2500 a couple of years before the Connie. One issue with the V4 Magna's was getting oil to some of the cylinders, mine did not seem to have the problem but I did an conversion anyway, with a kit that was still available at the time, 20+ years later. I think Muphs is still selling lots of parts for the old Connie, and there is COG the Concours Owners Group.
    Last edited by Baggsy; 03-09-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Hmm, the budget really is the issue. There are a bunch of really good cruiser once you get to $5500.00 but under that is getting tricky. You asked for cruiser advice under 4k. I like the replies you've been getting ...

Boulevard C50 / Marauder. Immediately flip the final drive to drop the highway rpm's though (look it up). If you are planning any US trips via freeways, 85mph is a little much. Another nice bike is the Honda VT1100.

Good luck !!
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Being owner of one I may be baised but Magna VF750C is the cruiser you would like, V4 does not vibrate as some of the v-twins mentioned by some member, it has VFR's motor and cruiser style you get a combo deal for the price of one. If you dont like the seating position on 94-03 Magnas then look into Honda Night hawks, there is a real nice one on Kijiji:
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ260493865

Great Balance, fun to ride, awsome motor and available parts.
    Option 1) Honda Magna VF750C
    Option 2) Honda Night Hawk

If I end up buying a cruiser, Magna would be my choice. Unfortunately, very hard to find for less than $4,000 and anywhere in GTA as a matter of fact.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    If I end up buying a cruiser, Magna would be my choice. Unfortunately, very hard to find for less than $4,000 and anywhere in GTA as a matter of fact.
    I picked up an '84 V65 for $2500 from Ontario Cycle Salvage several years ago. I think my brother-in-law traded it for something lol.

Keep in mind the weight limit on that bike was 450 lbs for passengers and stuff.

I'm only interested in 1994-2003 model though. VF750C (V45)
    The ones from the 80s you can definitely pick up for 2G nowadays.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    Bought an '84 V65 Magna from Ontario Cycle Salvage for $2500 several years ago. Bike was quick. I think it was running somewhere in the 10's when it first came out. Almost got it back last year but didn't have anywhere to store it. Keep in mind that the weight limit on that bike is 450 pounds for driver, passenger and stuff.

My first street bike was an '84 Virago 750. The balance & handling were absolutely phenomenal and it had way more than enough guts for any situation I ever needed it for. The 1100 is balanced equally perfectly.

I've traded up to a VTX 1800S which I'll never out grow (unless I start laying off the damn Timmy's double doubles) but as much as I love my X.. I hate to admit that it doesn't handle half as nice as that old Virago.

I would second the M50 I am 6'-2 and 350 handles me and a second with zero issues- sporty handling for a cruiser and great looks to boot.. Fuel injection , water cooled, shaft drive- Get on and ride!

Banned

good reputation? decent handling?

Kawasaki Concours. done.

ive tracked it, been on 5day, 3000km trips. used it for commuting, and much more. it did everything i needed it to do, and possible has the largest accessory market/following for a single model. comfortable, easy to ride, good range, and simple to work on. i loved my connie.

Kawasaki Eliminator , V45 Magna, V65 Magna, V65 Sabre.....V-max

You can definitaly get Marauder 800 under $4000 and it's a really nice bike . I used to have one before Magna Vf750. It's not the same power and torque, but it's fun. Older Suzuki V Strom DL650 with "few" km is in your price range as well. Very relible and comfortable. Power and torque (even it's only 650cc) way better then most of the cruisers ( in fact, except VF750 only). A lot of possibilitis with luggage, extra equipment etc. Very good on gas and pretty big gas tank too.