James Bay Summer 2011

Thread: James Bay Summer 2011

James Bay Summer 2011

Hello everyone.

My name is Nick and I got referred to your site because I wanted to set up and get involved in some rides this summer. I have an '81 CB900c that my dad bought new and handed down to me last year. Awesome bike and never given me any real grief.

I also have a 1983 CB1000c (only year the 1000c was made) that I may be selling this spring, not %100 yet as its a nice bike and a wee bit rare.

In any case, I wanted to know if anyone was planning a trip to James Bay. I am thinking 5 day trip. For me from Ottawa...

Day 1: Ottawa to near James Bay Road entry
    Day 2: Down the James Bay Road to Radisson.
    Day 3: Day to do the dam tour and go a bit west to Arctic Ocean and Nunavut.
    Day 4: Down the James Bay Road back
    Day 5: Near exit of James Bay Road to Ottawa

To save a bit of money I am thinking of spending all nights camping else 1 or 2 of the nights in Radisson in hotel.

Due to the 375 km leg without fuel, extra gas would be needed and I would strap on a can + all my supplies to bike.

I also plan to do a lot of research, planning, and setup to make sure trip goes smooth. I also have a GPS if necessary and would bring a digital and possibly my DSLR for some nice pictures.

I really look forward to the remoteness and silence you find up there and the fast roads and new drive would be amazing.

Anyone else thinking about this or interested in going? Would like to join a small group but will entertain larger ones if thats what there is! Also wouldn't mind going alone.

My bikes:

81 CB900c - Rebuilt for preventative around 30k. Runs like a top and dual ratio gear box is nice!

83 CB1000c - carbs out for rebuild and still trying to find OEM seat!

tore it down, cleaned it up, back together again!

Re: James Bay Summer 2011

I'd love to do that trip.
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

It would be unreal to do on your bike thats for sure!

I've done the trip twice, and offered advice in other threads - take my advice for what it's worth.

Be super-prepared for breakdowns. I had tire trouble on both of my trips, and it was a reminder to me that a breakdown on JBR is very, very expensive. Like, it's probably cheaper to walk away from your motorcycle and just leave it there expensive. Like a solid four digits and a full day wait for a tow expensive. I'm sure you know your bike inside and out, don't leave anything to chance.

The gas mileage that you get up there, for some reason, isn't as good as the test runs that we did ahead of time. In fact, the mileage that we got was about 10 - 15% poorer. We chalked this up to poorer quality gas up north, or the higher speeds that the road inspires. Anyway - budget for that as well. Do your fully loaded mileage test. Add 10% for safety, then add another 10%.

The road is beautiful, but there are lots of frost heaves. Make sure that everything you strap to the bike is very, very secure.

Be prepared for mosquitoes / blackflies / no see ums like you've never seen before. It could make camping very uncomfortable. But people have done it - the campsite in Radisson is apparently quite nice, actually.

Put on new tires for your trip. Don't ask me how I know this.

Overall, this trip is unusual because it is very humbling - which is why I plan to go back every few years. The size of the landscape and the remoteness is a very good reminder that on a motorcycle we are always very vulnerable, and that anything could (and does) happen. Which is frankly why I love traveling by bike.

If you like, my pics are here:

James Bay 2010: http://opetralis.smugmug.com/Motorcy...15879428_XdR85
    James Bay 2009: http://opetralis.smugmug.com/Other/J...12678508_uzuYQ

Edit: forgot to add that you need to plan to be cold and wet the entire time.
    Last edited by oomis; 03-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.