New Riders, Here Are Your Bikes - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Riders, Here Are Your Bikes

Re: New Riders, Here Are Your Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by OM NOM View Post
    Any bike is a good bike to start on granted you ride within your skill level. Just dont be stupid.
    Do you seriously want to tell new riders that ANY BIKE IS A STARTER BIKE?

You're very right about riding within your limits and making good choices while on the road. Limit your risk, and that can start with a bike that challenges you, yet is small enough to get the job done.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Nixel View Post
    What are some good started Dual Purpose bikes? I see some mentioned, just don't know if any are missing. I noticed the Honda CRF230M is discounted, not sure if it's a good bike though.
    Suzuki DRZ200

Yamaha WR250 <--- Fuel injected with more horsepower than some 400cc carbureted bikes

Kawasaki KLX250

Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250

Honda CRF230L

And now if you want a 400 or larger, you can visit the same manufacturers and add these to your list:

Husaberg
    KTM

And others that I can't remember at 1 in the morning. lol.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

I'm not saying that every bike is meant as a starter bike, but I know plenty of people (myself included) that have started out on very powerful bikes and we're doing fine. Some people can handle an R6 as a starter, some cant.
    Getting married? Check out my Website
    --
    Connect with me:
    Facebook | Twitter

I'm not saying that every bike is meant as a starter bike, but I know plenty of people (myself included) that have started out on very powerful bikes and we're doing fine. Some people can handle an R6 as a starter, some cant.
    You failed to qualify your statement. In my personal opinion, a 600cc motorcycle can be a great starter bike. Usually it's the idiot at the controls that figures he'll live forever and can take ramps at speeds that a racer would never do that close to a guard rail and traffic. I know females that started on an R6 successfully, but I have to tell you, she has a lot more discipline when it comes to speeding than most guys I've seen.

How many riders pass their license then seek out additional training? How many of them will do a track day, or go on a long multi-day tour? Read a book or watch a DVD? I don't know the answer to that one either.

If I was going to start on a 600cc bike, I'd buy a used one that had frame sliders and shorty levers already installed, and if it had a rash down one side and a dent on the tank, even better, cause now I know I can beat him down in price, ride it for a year or two until I know what I'm doing then sell it on and upgrade to something I have to make payments on.

(Some people will now jump all over us and tell us that a 600 isn't a starter bike. Wait for it! Wait for it! And GO!!!)

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Ronnie (et al.)

I hope a 600 can be a good starter bike! I got myself a '95 Shadow 600 VLX (yes, i know, cruiser style....). Although i'm fairly petite, it's the perfect height and i feel real comfortable on the forward controls. I just gotta let the bike train me for a little while, and i think it would turn out to be a wonderful relationship. I would never knock anyone getting a bigger displacement as a beginner bike.

D.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Woman View Post
    Ronnie (et al.)

I hope a 600 can be a good starter bike! I got myself a '95 Shadow 600 VLX (yes, i know, cruiser style....). Although i'm fairly petite, it's the perfect height and i feel real comfortable on the forward controls. I just gotta let the bike train me for a little while, and i think it would turn out to be a wonderful relationship. I would never knock anyone getting a bigger displacement as a beginner bike.

D.R.
    Cruisers are different in the "cc" game, and I'd go so far as to say an 800cc cruiser could be considered a good starter bike, but of course it's relative to the operator. Congratulations on your new-to-you bike! They're beautiful little sporty cruisers!

My friend Sarah started on a Kawasaki 440cc cruiser last year, and she's already regretting not going with a bike a bit more capable of highway speeds.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    You failed to qualify your statement. In my personal opinion, a 600cc motorcycle can be a great starter bike. Usually it's the idiot at the controls that figures he'll live forever and can take ramps at speeds that a racer would never do that close to a guard rail and traffic. I know females that started on an R6 successfully, but I have to tell you, she has a lot more discipline when it comes to speeding than most guys I've seen.

How many riders pass their license then seek out additional training? How many of them will do a track day, or go on a long multi-day tour? Read a book or watch a DVD? I don't know the answer to that one either.

If I was going to start on a 600cc bike, I'd buy a used one that had frame sliders and shorty levers already installed, and if it had a rash down one side and a dent on the tank, even better, cause now I know I can beat him down in price, ride it for a year or two until I know what I'm doing then sell it on and upgrade to something I have to make payments on.

(Some people will now jump all over us and tell us that a 600 isn't a starter bike. Wait for it! Wait for it! And GO!!!)
    How many 600's do you have at the course?

Well I guess I did not get a good starter bike
    My Deuce is 1450CC though it is a custom and is 675lbs.
    Thought about getting a Sportster 1200cc but my legs are too long for it.

engine configuration/power to weight ratio have a huge effect on whether a bike is a good starter or not. I would not recommend a super sport as a starter, but you can get something like the ninja 650r or the fz6... they are still bikes that will get up and kick your butt
    x

Any bike is a good bike to start on granted you ride within your skill level. Just dont be stupid.
    Damn straight, I started on a 2010 gixxer 600 this year... No chicken strips btw... Its all about confidence and keeping the cable between your brain and wrist connected!
    **** 250s lol

Get your flame throwers out!
    "I live in my own reality, You are just a guest"

2010 GSX-R 600 (RIP - ate by a jetta)
    2011 GSX-R 600 (my 2010's evil reincarnation)

***Disclaimer: I am usually bored at work or drunk when on this forum***

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    engine configuration/power to weight ratio have a huge effect on whether a bike is a good starter or not. I would not recommend a super sport as a starter, but you can get something like the ninja 650r or the fz6... they are still bikes that will get up and kick your butt
    Exactly.

I have a Bandit 600 - similar to a Katana 600 - as a first bike. Other than being top-heavy, it's not a bad first bike. Now that I've had it a year, it's nice to have a bike that feels like a big bike. It's fast on the freeway, it has good passing power with a passenger, and with the inline 4 it's smooth on the highway.

I finally tried a full SS bike (Ducati 848 no less!) and my bike's nothing like that.Mine isn't at all twitchy with the throttle, and it has slow steering and a soft suspension. My R1 rider friend says my bike reminds him of a bigger GS500 (which he started with). I wouldn't mind if my bike sounded, went and cornered like the Duke but it's a much more relaxing ride.

That said, my girlfriend has an interest in starting to ride next year. I had a bit of prior experience (a little dirt biking, years of mountain biking) that she doesn't, so we're thinking Ninja 250, EX500, GS500 or Interceptor 500. I look forward to some test-riding to see what a light bike feels like.
    Last edited by honduhmatic; 06-08-2011 at 02:23 PM.

for me i'm gonna be doing a lot of in-city commuting.....so i'm interested in CBR125R (or at maximum... 250cc....the new cbr looks nice ^^)

anyway...my question (better if you own cbr125r): is CBR125R capable of carrying passenger?
    as in..
    1) it's fine. you can carry a passenger, you just feel the difference in weight, accel., decel. corner, etc..
    or
    2) "uh.....i wouldn't recommend passenger on cbr125r..." ??? (<-if this is the case, plz share why)

(my profile: i'm 178cm...about 5'11"? and i'm 200lb.)
    money can't buy happiness? maybe. but you still need money to buy the bike that'll give you the happiness you seek. money will allow you to buy that special something that'll give you the happiness... therefore, money does buy happiness. QED

I had 25 years of dirt experience before I picked up my first street bike this spring so I'm not brand new to riding or anything. I think that my FZ6R is a great starter bike for anyone who has some type of background on 2 wheels. My only other street experience was on a gsxr600 and I can tell you that my bike is not nearly as twitchy and is super forgiving if you miss a shift. The power curve is very linear and there are no surprises, but that being said when you tuck in and crack the throttle she still goes!
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Hey Ronnie,

Just thought I'd let you know that I took her out for a 4 hour tour on Wednesday... and she is PERFECT for me. I was confident after learning the clutch friction zone as well as the heavier weight in a vacant parking lot.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really happy with the bike, she's perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    How many 600's do you have at the course?
    Quite a few that the students ride in on.

You can't stop people from buying them as starter bikes, so why not prepare them for the realities of high insurance rates, expensive tire changes, and a multitude of speeding tickets?

The other concept has people following the British method of limiting cc's until a time constraint has been met.

Or suggesting to someone with good coordination and aptitude that they start on a bike that doesn't meet their commuting or touring needs when by rights they are capable of handling a larger bike like an FZ6 or Bandit 650, Kawasaki ER6, VStrom 650, F650GS or CS.

I'm on a budget, so buying and selling bikes isn't something I can do readily, so I tend to live with my choices longer.

The Deuce? Well, if we started talking about your poor clutch control and braking habits... Perhaps a tricycle would be better to start on. :P

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

I highly recommend a naked Suzuki sv650 to new riders if they already have bike experience. If they don't have much bike experience then they should start at 250cc's or lower. I think EVERY bike rider should learn to ride on the streets with a limited bike. I have been an avid cyclist since I was a teenager and live to ride on two wheels. Many however are car drivers and not used to being aware of every little detail on the road.

I rode a modified e-bike for 2 years (she went much faster than the legal limit), upgraded to a 50cc scooter and then went to Ronnie's Motorcycle course (you should remember me Ron. I did your midnight madness course with Roger Cullman) and caught the motorcycle bug. I did a lot of research on bikes then sat on many. I settled on the naked sv650 for many many reasons. Mainly though, for commuting the bike is amazing and is very forgiving to a newb. No fairings means less damage if/when I do drop the bike (which I am sure I will do at some point from sheer stupidity and carelessness). The size and weight of the bike is phenomenal. The seating position is more straight up and much more conducive to city traffic commuting than the sport version.

Suzuki DRZ200

Yamaha WR250 <--- Fuel injected with more horsepower than some 400cc carbureted bikes

Kawasaki KLX250

Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250

Honda CRF230L

And now if you want a 400 or larger, you can visit the same manufacturers and add these to your list:

Husaberg
    KTM

And others that I can't remember at 1 in the morning. lol.
    Thanks for the list! Forgot to check back after posting until now. I've decided to ditch my Ninja for next season and try something that isn't a sport bike.

Anyone got suggestions for bikes with a bit more of an upright natural position? Something between a sport bike and a cruiser.

Edit: To give an idea, I really like the style/look of the Kawasaki Versys and KLR650. I know BMW makes a few more bikes in that vein, but they're pricey.
    Last edited by Nixel; 06-21-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks for the list! Forgot to check back after posting until now. I've decided to ditch my Ninja for next season and try something that isn't a sport bike.Anyone got suggestions for bikes with a bit more of an upright natural position? Something between a sport bike and a cruiser.Edit: To give an idea, I really like the style/look of the Kawasaki Versys and KLR650. I know BMW makes a few more bikes in that vein, but they're pricey.
    Look for Sport Touring like:Suzuki Katana 600Suzuki Bandit 600/650Yamaha SecaTriumph BonnevilleHonda Hornet 599Ducati MonsterBuell BlastSorry it's a short list, I'm on my crackberry and tired after a great evening ride.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Look for Sport Touring like:Suzuki Katana 600Suzuki Bandit 600/650Yamaha SecaTriumph BonnevilleHonda Hornet 599Ducati MonsterBuell BlastSorry it's a short list, I'm on my crackberry and tired after a great evening ride.
    Thanks again! I keep taking your sleep away :P

Looks like most of yours are older models. I was hoping to grab new, so I found the Kawi ER-6n and Versys appealing. Also the Suzuki VSTROM is decent. Not sure about the KLR650 anymore since it's a dual sport and I never plan on going off-road. I'm really just looking for comfort and some versatility when it comes to adding cargo space to the bike given that it's my only vehicle.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Thanks again! I keep taking your sleep away :P

Looks like most of yours are older models. I was hoping to grab new, so I found the Kawi ER-6n and Versys appealing. Also the Suzuki VSTROM is decent. Not sure about the KLR650 anymore since it's a dual sport and I never plan on going off-road. I'm really just looking for comfort and some versatility when it comes to adding cargo space to the bike given that it's my only vehicle.
    You could try looking for an older Connie (Kawasaki Concours), they're 1000 cc, with an Ninja engine, more upright and come standard with two side bags.
    They should be in an attractive price bracket now.

Quite a few that the students ride in on.

You can't stop people from buying them as starter bikes, so why not prepare them for the realities of high insurance rates, expensive tire changes, and a multitude of speeding tickets?

The other concept has people following the British method of limiting cc's until a time constraint has been met.

Or suggesting to someone with good coordination and aptitude that they start on a bike that doesn't meet their commuting or touring needs when by rights they are capable of handling a larger bike like an FZ6 or Bandit 650, Kawasaki ER6, VStrom 650, F650GS or CS.

I'm on a budget, so buying and selling bikes isn't something I can do readily, so I tend to live with my choices longer.

The Deuce? Well, if we started talking about your poor clutch control and braking habits... Perhaps a tricycle would be better to start on. :P
    Awww rats, I was gonna come down and lern ta ridez dem 600 yo.
    My budget allowed me to buy a 250 and sell it the next season using just the amount that I save on insurance. Not to mention that I learned how to change "a" sparkplug, do an oil change and generally maintain and repair my own bike. Then I went and bought a second bike. Are you still riding the first bike you bought? I'm not sure how you know that my clutch control sucks or is that someone else?
    Last edited by Baggsy; 06-22-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.