Is there such thing as a legit stunting lot?

Thread: Is there such thing as a legit stunting lot?

Is there such thing as a legit stunting lot?

Like, does anyone have a lot where they encourage stunting, or host events?

Or is it just a matter of finding a place where security hasn't caught on and the neighbors don't complain?

I would love a chance to work on some really basic stuff in a setting like you have at a track day - a bit of instruction, a controlled environment, some feedback on what you're doing right or wrong, a place to buy lunch, and some medical people standing by.

I know that there are some wheelie schools around (one in MTL and I think a NJ one - and Code has one now, too), maybe that's my best bet - but if there's some place local where I can go to practice and get some advice in a controlled setting I'd like to give it a try.

I'll never be a good stunter but I'd like to at least get a feel for a basic wheelie & stoppie. I'm paranoid about practicing on the street - even trying to lift a wheelie on a quiet country road... I just don't want to end up having that roadside chat with a cop about wheelies.

Re: Is there such thing as a legit stunting lot?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater View Post

Or is it just a matter of finding a place where security hasn't caught on and the neighbors don't complain?

I would love a chance to work on some really basic stuff in a setting like you have at a track day - a bit of instruction, a controlled environment, some feedback on what you're doing right or wrong, a place to buy lunch, and some medical people standing by.

I know that there are some wheelie schools around (one in MTL and I think a NJ one - and Code has one now, too), maybe that's my best bet - but if there's some place local where I can go to practice and get some advice in a controlled setting I'd like to give it a try.

I'll never be a good stunter but I'd like to at least get a feel for a basic wheelie & stoppie. I'm paranoid about practicing on the street - even trying to lift a wheelie on a quiet country road... I just don't want to end up having that roadside chat with a cop about wheelies.
    Not really, most people just go out and find a warehouse or parking lot. And test it out, and see what happens....We have been riding at our practice spot for 2-3 years now. The management is cool with it. Everyone once in a while a new cop will show up out the blue because they hear the noise, and give us some problems...Once they talk to the management and hear from them that we are ok to be riding there, they leave us alone. Its hard to find a spot like that, but you can if you really put in the effort...

On scence ambulance is very expensive, so unless someone had a whole class of stundents booked for a specific day. I doubt anyone is going to have that at a practice spot...When people get hurt bad someone gets the closest car or truck, we carry the person into that and rush them to the hospital ourselfs, its a 5 min drive and faster then waiting for an ambulance. Unless they are seriously hurt and shoudlnt be moved, which I have not personally witnessed yet...Last year we had a few bad ones, I remeber rushing people to the H 3 times, a torn knee, a almost amutated toe, and a dislocated shoulder....

Just never stunt alone, always have someone there with you just in case something happens....And be prepared to destroy the bike your learning on. Dont use your only street bike, because chances are you will mess it up sooner or later...

Thanks.

Has anyone here done one of the schools? I've had most of my track time through schools and it's always been a great experience. It seems expensive until you start comparing the cost to getting a dedicated track bike, and a truck to haul it around on, and a garage to park it in...

Thanks.

Has anyone here done one of the schools? I've had most of my track time through schools and it's always been a great experience. It seems expensive until you start comparing the cost to getting a dedicated track bike, and a truck to haul it around on, and a garage to park it in...
    No one that I know has ever taken a school, we all learned on our own and from eachother...Nothing better then having someone better to watch...

What are these stunt schools you talk about?

I've never done a wheelie on purpose and I've only done a stoppie on a bicycle LOL. Those two alone would be great to learn, but if I could I'd really love to do one of those slow moving burnouts where the bike is turning one way or the other.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    What are these stunt schools you talk about?

I've never done a wheelie on purpose and I've only done a stoppie on a bicycle LOL. Those two alone would be great to learn, but if I could I'd really love to do one of those slow moving burnouts where the bike is turning one way or the other.
    Felix of Stunt.ca from MTL runs a wheelie shcool

http://wheelieschool.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Felix of Stunt.ca from MTL runs a wheelie shcool

http://wheelieschool.ca/
    Yup, and there's an English data in Julliet.

Keith Code had his On One Wheel school in NJ a couple of years ago, but a woman died at one of the classes last year so I don't know if they're going to continue or not. This used to be the link, it doesn't work for me here at work, but I'm at a stupid bank where they block a LOT of stuff: http://ononewheel.com/

Keith Code had his On One Wheel school in NJ a couple of years ago, but a woman died at one of the classes last year so I don't know if they're going to continue or not. This used to be the link, it doesn't work for me here at work, but I'm at a stupid bank where they block a LOT of stuff: http://ononewheel.com/
    That page is down, so its not just your work

I was wrong about the fatality being last year, FYI. Sorry to spread misinformation.

If you are considering the montreal school, its run by Felix from stunt.ca and is a very good course. Felix is bilingual and will teach you in english whatever day you go. Ive seen some progress vids of people who had never wheelied at all before the course, and were doing pretty high sit downs for the full lenth of the track by the end.

Ride fully setup bikes, full insured, legit racetrack sectioned off for just the school, and taught by one of Canadas OG stunters. Wheelie school FTW!

Felix was even teaching some more advanced riders and to get them used to balance point he did seat stander wheelies using his handbrake with the stundent sitting on the bike just holding on to the cage so they could feel the balance point.

the advice youre going to get at a wheelie schools could be easily found online, its still up to you to learn the brake control and that takes time and a lot of broken parts on your bike
    Last edited by 2kgixx; 03-03-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kgixx View Post
    the advice youre going to get at a wheelie schools could be easily found online, its still up to you to learn the brake control and that takes time and a lot of broken parts on your bike
    Fair enough, but I've been reading how-to articles and looking at vids for 10 years now and I still suck at wheelies. The chance to practice in a controlled environment on someone else's bike, with some safety features thrown in is very appealing.

Like said above, it can be done, but its kinda hard to find a legit spot like mentioned. I've been doing this for the past few years, usually during the week, when there isn't much heat on the streets, i ride around for an hour or two, get warmed up, warm up the bike, tires and all, and get the vibe for the night, read my surrondings... for example do i see alot of cops and people pulled over or i don't even see a cop in sight for the whole night, i trust my gut feeling and go from there and then around 2am i go to empty warehouse spots or industrail locations and take a few cruise rides around the block to check for security, cops, or close by tims, coffee shops or gas stations... cops hang out at and go from there. i have about 3 to 5 spots and i rotate with them, so there is always a blue moon chance of anyone complaining of noise if there is ever anyone close by. also around 4am is the shift change for cops, so from 3:45am to 5am you could blow up your bike and you won't hear a siren.lol but yea don't do that.lol as long as your resposible and wise about what your doing you'll never have trouble, except damaging your bike or you, but thats a decision one take to learn to stunt. I don't like a spot where i have to reveal my idetity to anyone or cops, because i've experienced it before, if anything goes down the people who are identified are to go down first.

Thanks ETR. At that time of night, I'd rather be sleepin' or ****in'.

Thanks ETR. At that time of night, I'd rather be sleepin' or ****in'.
    lol tru tru, hey was just sayin

I have a questions. So, if you are practicing on some parking lot and a cop comes by can you be charged with stunt riding, or since this is off the HWY traffic act as it is a parking lot all he/she can do is hassle you around, give a warning etc.............?

im thinking that all places would be private property, unless you stunt in a government parking lot lol, that all they could do is kick you out, or talk to the owner to see if they want to press charges. But i think in most cases just kick you out if your not a A-hole about leaving. But i think if you find a spot away from houses, and could possibly talk to the owner of the lot if you could ride there it becomes more legit, and when or if a cop comes you tell them you have permission.

Quote Originally Posted by aneconsulting View Post
    I have a questions. So, if you are practicing on some parking lot and a cop comes by can you be charged with stunt riding, or since this is off the HWY traffic act as it is a parking lot all he/she can do is hassle you around, give a warning etc.............?

they cannot do you for stunting under the HTA 172 but they can do you criminally for dangerous driving (if your stunting near persons or endangering life of someone) or racing if you are racing someone.

technically could also do you criminally for mischief if your damaging the car park, but would be a bit of a stretch unless you breaking things.

could also give you 2x $65 tickets under the trespass to property act for being there and doing the activity, a third $65 ticket if you wont leave.

Technically they "CAN" charge you with alot of things, but for the most part if you just be nice and "yes sir/no sir" them. And let them go off on their little rant for a bit, they will just give you a warning and tell you to leave...Or if you have permission to use the parking lot like we do, you ask them to leave

Thanks for your input guys.